★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Become the greatest train controller as you juggle up to four trains, flip railroad switches, navigate train crossings and collect coal to keep your steam engines stoked.

PRESS QUOTES:

"Choo Choo Steam Trains will tug at the heart of any train lover" - Sue Megrund, AppAdvice.com

CONDUCT AND CONTROL

Take control of your train set! Chug along picking up passengers in over 50 beautiful landscapes, build your own train tracks and even take a leisurely ride aboard the Steam Train as you watch the scenery fly by. Manage your passenger pickups as everyone has a train to catch and they dont like to wait!

BUILD YOUR OWN MODEL RAILWAY

Pick up pieces of track as you play through the game to use in your own model railway. Setup the track in the level creator and then watch your train travel along the brand new environment. Keep the scenery lush with trees, stocked with train yards and build urban areas by placing skyscrapers.

LOTS TO EXPLORE AND DISCOVER

Choo Choo trains has over 65 levels across 4 beautifully themed islands. Each track brings with it new challenges to overcome and track types to master and when the levels get too taxing, relax and just watch your engine choo choo round the track.

---

www.twitter.com/chillingo
www.facebook.com/chillingo

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

04-20-2011, 06:13 AM
Wow... i love the look of it!

Gamecenter id : Arr4ws
Add me!

04-20-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm not exactly overwhelmed graphically but that's not what really matters. The App Store is seriously lacking games that let you build railways so this could be the one for me

Curious whether or not it supports retina though.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
04-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Curious whether or not it supports retina though.
I don't think it supports retina, unfortunately. Usually if the game supports retina display then the screenshots can be opened in full 960 x 640 resolution. There is no excuse for releasing a game without retina support, a whole 9 months after the iPhone 4 came out. But whatever, the gameplay is more important.

Hakuna Matata
04-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Game looks pretty cool. Will def pick it up later today.

GAME CENTER: Adamphetamine
GAMESPY: Adamphetamine or NeonPriest
04-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
I don't think it supports retina, unfortunately. Usually if the game supports retina display then the screenshots can be opened in full 960 x 640 resolution. There is no excuse for releasing a game without retina support, a whole 9 months after the iPhone 4 came out. But whatever, the gameplay is more important.
I might be wrong here but I think chillingo is intentionally using non-retina graphics in a lot of their games lately. How difficult could it be considering most of these apps are already universal at launch and already support iPad's higher resolution?

Maybe they think its a good idea to use non-retina graphics at release and then update it later with retina graphics just to give the illusion that they are supporting the games and updating them with user requested content. As I said, I might be wrong here, but looking at the recent releases, chillingo/clickgamer is the only major publisher in the appstore whose apps dont support retina resolution at release. I just cant think of any practical reason for not having retina support in a universal app.
04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
The App Store is seriously lacking games that let you build railways so this could be the one for me
Same here. Love trains, railways, tramways (street cars), cable cars and even electric trolleybuses. And the iDevices almost killed my passion for my model railroad.

Maybe that's because in US where most of the games come from there are not as many railways like in Europe. It's a car country. Some of them are using metros (subway), though…

I've read that out of 100 US citizens only ONE rode on a "real" (cross country) railway ever. In Europe it's almost everybody. The "Deutsche Bundesbahn" is the largest transport company of the world afair.

Maybe that helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_modelling

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenbahn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Bundesbahn

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 04-20-2011 at 09:11 AM.
04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
I might be wrong here but I think chillingo is intentionally using non-retina graphics in a lot of their games lately. How difficult could it be considering most of these apps are already universal at launch and already support iPad's higher resolution?

Maybe they think its a good idea to use non-retina graphics at release and then update it later with retina graphics just to give the illusion that they are supporting the games and updating them with user requested content. As I said, I might be wrong here, but looking at the recent releases, chillingo/clickgamer is the only major publisher in the appstore whose apps dont support retina resolution at release. I just cant think of any practical reason for not having retina support in a universal app.
That's an interesting observation. A sneaky tactic if it's true.

Hakuna Matata
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Looking forward to this one, it looks good!

Habakuk and others - if you want another app where you can build and play with trains, be sure to check out Rails & Trains (Free + $0.99 IAP) which plays very much like a model train set, including freeplay where you can independently run 4 trains at once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to dyscode
I dont mean to bash...
but that graphics style creeps me out. I mean it, really.
Twisted as it sounds.

- GameCenter: dyscoder
- the (nearly) ultimate intel HD Graphics 3000 game performance sheet - Contributers welcome