★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: 1st gen iPod Touch incompatibility...

11-03-2008, 04:35 AM
1st gen iPod Touch incompatibility...

I'll tell you something that is getting VERY irritating - new apps not installing on my iPod Touch because they are not set to be compatible with the 1st gen Touch.... It's not too bad when developers put a contact e-mail on their websites - depending on the developer I either get a pleasant response or get ignored, but either way the issue then gets sorted. But most irritating of all is when they have no e-mail / comment facility on their website. Last time I resorted to a comment on iTunes, but then got some smart alec telling me all was fine in a subsequent post after the developer had changed the settings for the app... What has now prompted this rant is that I have downloaded an app that I paid good money for, it won't install and there is no contact facility on the developer's website and I don't especially want to become the iTunes crusader regarding this issue....

Oh well, rant over!
11-03-2008, 05:08 AM
That's gotta suck... I have the 2G touch, so I can't relate... Hopefully this kind of thing doesn't happen with the 3rd gen touch

Already kinda sucks for touch users, kinda... I know Frogger is only iPhone compatible (I hear it sucks anyway)

11-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Unfortunately I think a lot of this is that developers don't understand that when building their app, they can build for 2.0 compatibility or build for 2.1. There are a lot of apps that have been built for 2.1 when they don't actually use anything that would require this. It's either a lack of understanding from the devs or a lack of a 2.0 test environment (e.g. they've updated all their devices to 2.1). I have a device that I've kept on 2.0 for this very reason. I'm guessing most indies or small devs don't think like that

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
11-03-2008, 05:31 AM
The OS version number has nothing to do with the Hardware version. Of course you can also run the 1st Gen iPod Touch with OS 2.1.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
11-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Yeah, It's weird. I've been seeing this a bunch too, though I should be one to talk since I mixed up my game url and support site url.

It's impressive though. A mere 3 option drop down box can disappoint so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopf View Post
I have a device that I've kept on 2.0 for this very reason. I'm guessing most indies or small devs don't think like that
. I did the same thing, grabbing a v2 iPod touch for 2.1 testing, but still building a 2.0 target. But *man* the 2.1 firmware sends builds waaaay faster.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
11-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoV View Post
. I did the same thing, grabbing a v2 iPod touch for 2.1 testing, but still building a 2.0 target. But *man* the 2.1 firmware sends builds waaaay faster.
I haven't built specifically for 2.1 because I have no need to so have kept all my builds so far for 2.0 compatibility. But, the SDK that was released with version 2.1 sends all builds quicker to the device - it used to be such a pain waiting for minutes at a time to get your build onto the device That whole process was much smoother with the updated SDK.

11-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Oh! Are you saying the new SDK even sends faster to the 2.0 firmware?

I'm still running the final release candidate, which I'm pretty sure was the same build branded Final for the store launch. I did recently hear that the newer SDK's still support a 2.0 target, but I've been putting off upgrading as I finished, just in case.

11-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoV View Post
Oh! Are you saying the new SDK even sends faster to the 2.0 firmware?

I'm still running the final release candidate, which I'm pretty sure was the same build branded Final for the store launch. I did recently hear that the newer SDK's still support a 2.0 target, but I've been putting off upgrading as I finished, just in case.
Yes, the final 2.1 SDK sends all build to the device quicker and it supports 2.0, that's what I've been using since 2.1 was released.

11-03-2008, 06:09 AM
That's awesome. I'll have to go grab that update now.

11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
its a metadate error that can easily be corrected, where you set the compatibility of the device

if your device requires no additional hardware, like a camera or mic, then it should be able to run on the 1st gen touch

how i inform the developers, is leave a comment, with the lowest rating informing them of the incompability issue and that once they correct it, you will give a more favorable review

so far every dev. that i have done that for has responded within 24 hours
so it seems to work