★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Tikal for iOS hits the App Store

04-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Tikal for iOS hits the App Store

04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
This looks good but I'm really waiting for Puerto Rico. I might pick this up to hold me until then though.

04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
One of the very best board games of all times! Really great one and well done! Thanks for that!

iPad Pro | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Looking for any community reaction or review here. I am excited about this app but WAY over my monthly budget.

Thanks,

Joe
04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
Looking for any community reaction or review here. I am excited about this app but WAY over my monthly budget.

Thanks,

Joe
The original board game is quite good.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
04-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Just bought it. I owned this game in 1999 but didn't really get into it at the time. For 5 bucks figured I'd give it another chance. To be expected from Sage, the game looks great. You can pinch zoom the map, move it around, great sound effects when your trucks move around. I've been relearning it as I go and the rules are well laid out. best part is you can access rules during the game. you can choose the ai level of up to 3 opponents. I lost my first game by a wide margin but slowly figuring it out now. Much better than I remember it being.

You get ten action pts per turn to spend on moving your workers around, uncovering temples, finding treasures, trading treasures to get doubles or triples which are worth more pts. You can build a camp so it's cheaper to bring new workers to a tile that is far away from the original camp and fight for dominance on excavation sites.

So far, I think it's well worth $5 and looking forward to my next game.
04-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Well for me, the game refuses to let me play against the AI at all. Seems to only start a game vs all other human players. Anyone else experiencing this?

Jamie
04-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
Well for me, the game refuses to let me play against the AI at all. Seems to only start a game vs all other human players. Anyone else experiencing this?

Jamie
I can play the AI without problems, just make sure you toggle the 'person' button next to the square where you drag an avatar in. It then switches between a name and name (AI).

However, I experienced a game crash when I tried to resume a started game after quitting and restarting the app.
04-21-2011, 04:28 AM
Downloading... We stopped playing the real boardgame some years ago, because it takes hours and hours with people suffering from analysis paralysis. The iPad seems to be the ideal platform for this game.

Now playing: Unworded, Aurora Puzzle Adventure, Steamworld Heist, PinOut!, Sproggiwood, Colorcube, kubic, Mekorama, Open Bar!
Waiting for: Any Star Realms expansion, Nyheim, Onirim
04-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Well, after some Rounds I can only say, it is very well done ... it runs great on iPad 2 and iPhone 4! The AI player are good (on the higher levels) but not too hard on the beginner level.

This version is much better than the old PC Version ... but in the old PC Version there was an "expert mode" with different rules ... is there any chance to put this in (in an update)?

The only question is: All your games are "German boardgames" ... why is there no German game text?

If you need help for translations, feel free to contact me.

Nevertheless for 3.99 Euro it is a must have for any board game fan!

iPad Pro | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.