★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhones and Board Games

04-20-2011, 11:57 PM
iPhones and Board Games

Carcassonne. Neuroshima Hex. Samurai. Settlers of Catan... just some of the great iphone adaptations of board games. I'm sure the fans of boardgaming here on TA are happy there are digital versions of some of the best games around. Not only that, but these games also open up the world of board games to the casual iphone gamer. And how can we not like that??

I love boardgamegeek.com. Heck if it wasn't for others mentioning in on here I would've never known about it. That site seems to be the ultimate board game site on the internet. I've learned so much about board gameing just from the past few months of visiting BGG. The best part is learning about new games.

Some of the games listed on there seem so amazing. It gets me thinking, who doesn't want to see more of these games released?? There are a LOT of titles out there that could do very well on the iphone/ipad.

So, to the general TA public, I ask you, do we need more of these awesome games on the iphone/ipad? If the demand is there, are there fans out there looking into making these? What games would you all like to see?

Oooh just think of the possibilities. Dominion? Ticket to Ride? Pandemic? Power Grid? Race for the Galaxy?

C'mon folks, let's here from you all!
04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Well we have, Boggle, Scrabble, Monopoly, Cluedo, Yahtzee, Jenga, What other board games do you need?

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!

04-21-2011, 12:12 AM
LOL

@triggywiggy
seriously he doesn't mean those kind of board games. He's talking more about "euro games". No it doesn't mean games from Europe.

@ohbobol
Tikal just camme out, from the iOS publishers of Ra and Medici. You could buy and show your support Anyway I think board games is much easier on the eyes with the the iPad. Also, for card games which require an unexposed hand I think it's hard to port. Unless it's pass and play, which I think reduces the level of interactivity board games are supposed to have. I've been really enjoying Ra and Keltis Oracle with my friends on the iPad, but both games are universal.

Puzzling has Evolved - Get 180
04-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyky View Post
LOL

@triggywiggy
seriously he doesn't mean those kind of board games. He's talking more about "euro games". No it doesn't mean games from Europe.
He mentioned board games, He was on about digital remakes of board games and i gave a list. He did not mention any other kinds of board games.

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
04-21-2011, 02:08 AM
@triggywiggy
Ah yes, sorry. What I was trying to say is those games you listed isn't exactly what he's looking for based on the games he cited.

04-21-2011, 08:19 AM
@triggywiggy

Yes, like spyky said, I did mean games that are more like Euro-games (or as some of the geeks call it, eurotrash). Not that Milton-Bradley crap that you'd find in any toy store I gave a few examples of what has been released, and what games I'd be overjoyed to see as well. I don't know what types of games you enjoy. Have you tried the ones I mentioned?

@spyky

Hah, just after posting this last night, I saw that Tikal was released. While I have never played it before, I have heard of it. So I'll have to check it out! I find it easier to convince myself to buy an app since it's a game that already exists in a physical form. And, I understand your point about the unexposed hands/pass and play. Yes that could be an issue for some titles. A lot of the eurogames have such varied play mechanics, so it's hard to say which ones would be more difficult to implement mulitplayer for.

My post was to get people thinking about what titles they would love to see on here. There's also a part of me hoping some developer out there would come in and make mention of something they're working on. Because some of these titles seem to appear out of nowhere. Example, Kingsburg. Never heard of it before it came out, never saw any mentions of a developer working on it. But it did seem to just appear one day several months back. It only took a couple of early reviews and some discussion on BGG, to convince me to get it.

So, let's hear some thoughts!
04-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I would love to see some of the old Avalon Hill board games made for iOS. Some that I used to play include Advanced Squad Leader, Richthofen's War and Titan.

Milton Bradley has had some great strategy games as well with Dogfight and Conquest of the Empire.

I would absolutely lose my mind if I opened itunes one day and saw Milton Bradley's Dark Tower.
04-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Agricola!!!

Plus+ & Game Center ID = Chithulhu
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes Agricola would be nice! And just a heads up, Sage games will be brining Puerto Rico to iOS on May 19th Less than a months time!

04-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh wow, think about "Descent" or "Twilight Imperium"! THAT would be ... wooooaaah!

^__^