★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Gopher incl. Cave Editor - Out Now

04-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Gopher incl. Cave Editor - Out Now

Hi there,

guess what early Easteregg i found in my mails this morning:

My game is ready for sale.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305203919&mt=8

Unfortunately not in a world wide release yet (e.g. northern america is delayed until June, sorry folks)

Quote:
hopefully June, because i've got the feeling it has to be delayed again...

In the mean time, take a closer look at some youtube videos showing the gameplay and editor
Game Overview
Game Play Close Up
Editor Close Up

and by the way, it's almost end of may, so the second update will be arriving at the store coming with an all new cave pack called "IN GOPHER LAND I"
It was announced here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=7756

have fun,
SioSae

Last edited by SioSae; 05-18-2009 at 12:40 AM.
04-09-2009, 05:08 AM
i keep my fingers crossed for this one...

04-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Why is america delayed till june?
04-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
Why is america delayed till june?
all i can say (and i am really sorry for that) is that it is because of the current contract situation between me and FSS.

MY APPS: GOPHER 2 out now, Worldorama (soon), S*C* (later), ...
PLAYING: With my new born baby, no time for anything else
LISTENING: "Omen Reprise" The Prodigy, "Pinapple" TAFMC
MY iDEVICE: iPhone 3G S 32GB, White FW 3.0
04-09-2009, 05:35 AM
:< Drat, I'm sorry to hear about that. Well, hey, at least you will have less competition then. (Maybe, console game releases always dry up in summer, we'll see if it holds true for IPOd)
Also,
Any chance of adding an online mode so we can share our levels?

But yea, level editing games = awesome, I'll check this out for sure.
04-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
:< Drat, I'm sorry to hear about that. Well, hey, at least you will have less competition then. (Maybe, console game releases always dry up in summer, we'll see if it holds true for IPOd)
Also,
Any chance of adding an online mode so we can share our levels?

But yea, level editing games = awesome, I'll check this out for sure.
of course i will add the possibility to share levels. and by the time i can update my game with it, hopefully there will be a lot of levels already available by the community.

until then new levels will be coming from me every month.

04-09-2009, 03:21 PM
so ladies and gentleman...
what are your thoughts about this title?
04-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Small yet perfectly formed

I couldn't resist buying this one - I have been a Boulder Dash addict since my C64 days. I had (still have) all the games back then, including the cave editor that came with the last game.

My biggest fear with this game was that the play area would be too small and, therefore, it would be hard to control the Gopher. Control, however, is not an issue as the direction buttons are very responsive BUT it is *very* hard to read the counters along the top of the screen so you can't tell 'at a glance' how much time you have left or how many carrots you still need to collect. Another down side is that the exit does not indicate when you can use it - in Boulder Dash it used to flash and, IIRC, there was a sound played to indicate that it was open. The other thing I miss from the original is the ability to collect items without moving, this was done by pressing the fire button and then selecting a direction. There is no fire button on screen so this manoeuver appears to have been omitted.

I think that this game will only truly appeal to hard core Boulder Dash afficionados for whom it will certainly fill the void until the First Star offering appears later this year.

ChrisH
04-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
I couldn't resist buying this one - I have been a Boulder Dash addict since my C64 days. I had (still have) all the games back then, including the cave editor that came with the last game.

My biggest fear with this game was that the play area would be too small and, therefore, it would be hard to control the Gopher. Control, however, is not an issue as the direction buttons are very responsive BUT it is *very* hard to read the counters along the top of the screen so you can't tell 'at a glance' how much time you have left or how many carrots you still need to collect. Another down side is that the exit does not indicate when you can use it - in Boulder Dash it used to flash and, IIRC, there was a sound played to indicate that it was open. The other thing I miss from the original is the ability to collect items without moving, this was done by pressing the fire button and then selecting a direction. There is no fire button on screen so this manoeuver appears to have been omitted.

I think that this game will only truly appeal to hard core Boulder Dash afficionados for whom it will certainly fill the void until the First Star offering appears later this year.

ChrisH
Thanks for the input and i am glad that the controls work for you, it took me a while to get them polished. there is already an update in the works to be released on monday. I will add your suggestions to it.

1. So bigger counters would be great? Ok, let me can try to move the playing area down a little bit and resize the letters. I will give it a try.

2. About the knowing if you can get to the exit. Why haven't i thought of it. Of course it will make the game much more playable. I will add a sound and an animated exit so you will hear and see if you collected enough carrots.

3. About the grabbing action. It was never part of the original game, not boulder dash but the clone my game is a remake of. And once again i weren't allowed to additionaly implement this unique behaviour to my game. So it can't be added, sorry for that. But the levels are build for the absence of such moves.

Besides the limited playing field, the much higher level count and of course the Editor it is another Difference between Gopher and Boulder Dash.

One question myself to you, my first known customer ;-)
Did you play around with the editor yet? Any issues with it?

Thanks,
SioSae

Last edited by SioSae; 04-10-2009 at 01:33 AM.
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SioSae View Post
One question myself to you, my first known customer ;-)
Did you play around with the editor yet? Any issues with it?

Thanks,
SioSae
I had a quick play with the editor this morning and found it quite easy to use. I created a very simple cave, tested it and then saved it to play properly. I was not impressed with the contrast of the letters on the keyboard during the save process, though, dark grey on light grey is quite hard to read. It would also be useful to have numbers available. The only other criticism I have is that the Pack Name field doesn't auto-clear when you type in the name for a new cave so you end up with several caves called "New Cave Pack"........

One quick question, is there an easy way to delete a created cave? The only way I have found is to edit the cave and then remove either the Gopher or the Exit before saving which then causes a delete.

ChrisH