Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Default Jungle Crash Land

Old 04-21-2011, 05:21 PM

I've played several donut games, and if you're familiar with them, you'll notice they all share the same menu style, game structure, etc. It seems they all use the same general engine, so for that reason, it seems you just keep playing the same game every time you try a different one.

This one is no exception, the game is very complete, and well designed, but it lacks attractiveness for some reason, its very dull and uninteresting. I'm not sure if it gets better later on with the challenges, but after i got to level 10 i was bored already and didn't felt like trying it again

Same thing with the other game modes, for some reason the game its just not engaging.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jungle-crash-land/id313734044?mt=8
Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 PM

I wish Donut Games would get a new visual style. Their graphics engine is very unattractive, as are their menus.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM

i like their games... castle smash has been the only one i've played thru the end tho. but every time i try another one it feels like playing the same game.

menu style contributes to this problem, i might have given a little bit more of a chance to jungle crash land if it was different but the gameplay structure and menus is exactly the same for all of their games.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

That's why I like their games actually. Good pick up n' play. When I'm someplace that I can't go in-depth or serious on a game or want something ultra casual I boot up one of their games. They are popular so there is a place for these games.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldar View Post
That's why I like their games actually. Good pick up n' play. When I'm someplace that I can't go in-depth or serious on a game or want something ultra casual I boot up one of their games. They are popular so there is a place for these games.
I agree, that's a great quality on a game... but that's no excuse to avoid further polish of the menus, gameplay visuals and mechanics.

a good example of a perfect blend is banzai bunny... it's concept is one of the foundations of quickplay design, but it's exceptional content and storyline mode, pleases and entertains even the most demanding gamers, while being nice and extremely simple for casual ones.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM

My point is that not paying attention to the presentation of the game, comes out as lazy, specially after several ones... i've played at least 5 with the same presetnation. 1 or 2 is fine.. but all of em?

Presentation is very important, its the first contact with the user and it could be a defining point for enjoyment and satisfaction of the player with the game... The game itself is very important i can't argue with that, but no matter how great the food is in a particular restaurant, i won't enjoy it as much as i should if the restaurant is ugly and dirty... not to mention the people that won't even come inside.

This video of stella artois is a very good example of exploiting the presentation, to enhance and highlight the quality of a product beyond its own.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Developer

Default About unified menues

Interesting discussion! I'm not here to defend our approach, just give you a clue on how the guys behind Donut Games think.

Being a bunch of hopelessly incurable retro-maniacs, our inspiration has its root in the classic arcade machines and Nintendo 8-bit systems. That is also the reason why we STILL do traditional-style pixel pushing in 2011... and we're sticking to it.

As for the unified menues, I still remember the feeling I got as a kid each time I got my hands on a new NES game, and you'd fire up the game just to face the traditional Nintendo-style menu, knowing there's a whole new adventure behind it.

For me, those unified menues gave me a feeling of "being home"... I knew Nintendo had given the game their approval, and that satisfaction was guaranteed...

That good feeling we had as kids, is what we're trying to give this generation of gamers.

Of course I realize not everyone agrees with us.
Either you love the approach, or you hate it. We respect that! We're not targeting the whole world, we're creating the sort of games we enjoy ourselves (having our background in mind), and releasing them for like-minded gamers to enjoy!

Best,
Daniel - Team Donut Games

Last edited by DonutGames; 04-23-2011 at 05:04 AM..
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Actually was going to post this even without Donut Games previous posting but reasons why I prefer the standard menu, etc is I can get into the game quickly without having to figure out a new menu each time and why I would gravitate to a Donut Game knowing this. It would defeat the purpose of a convenient and casual game for me and as I said earlier being a nice pick up and play without any hassle.

And it does have a feel of "being home" compared to other games trying to be unique by being so different. It works for them perhaps but Donuts Games is unique and having character by having the same format as is.

I've also come to expect the soft spoken girls voice saying "Donut Games" or something closely relevant. Hope this never changes as it's become a trademark to Donut Games, imo.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutGames View Post
Being a bunch of hopelessly incurable retro-maniacs, our inspiration has its root in the classic arcade machines and Nintendo 8-bit systems. That is also the reason why we STILL do traditional-style pixel pushing in 2011... and we're sticking to it.

As for the unified menues, I still remember the feeling I got as a kid each time I got my hands on a new NES game, and you'd fire up the game just to face the traditional Nintendo-style menu, knowing there's a whole new adventure behind it.

For me, those unified menues gave me a feeling of "being home"... I knew Nintendo had given the game their approval, and that satisfaction was guaranteed...
That's what i actually like about donut games.. they look nice, ingame, i like that kind of art and it was what kept me going all the way thru with castle smash, which is still on my phone.

Now to a more objective criticism i like the explanation for the menu approach, but even having the same structure, the screenshots don't look the same, similar next to the same, but not the same... the menus on donut games don't change layout, which is what changes on those screenshots, that's why they look all the same. Stepping aside that, which is what caught my attention but it's not my main critique now that i know your approach and it makes total sense. The menus look "too '99-'01" or "Flash vector games" like, to belong with the graphics style of the game itself. I think that's the "something is not right here" feeling that i get from the games.

hope it helps.