★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Put the object in the hole games (i.e. Diamond Islands).

04-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Put the object in the hole games (i.e. Diamond Islands).

- CubicMan Deluxe
- Diamond Islands
- Nintaii
- Time Box
- DemarcStar

These differ from Sokoban because in Sokoban you have multiple targets and the blocks don't rotate. In these you rotate the blocks around to maneuver them through the level to the goal.

Am I missing any? They're not really Sokoban. I can't explain the difference other than it's a different feeling playing Nintaii than Naboko. Maybe it's just 3D sokoban, for lack of a better explanation.

P.S. I love these games
P.S.S. Don't consider part of the list: Ankagua 3D, Edge, Shape Escape.

Don't check this site or private messages often.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-09-2009 at 11:17 AM.
04-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Have you checked out Edge - that looks very similar to a couple of the games you listed. (There's a lite version so you can try it for free).

04-09-2009, 07:22 AM
I think Ankagua 3D would be classified as Sokoban. I'm no expert on either type of game, but Sokoban is usually (always?) multiple "targets" in the same level, the objects are only one tile wide by one tile high, and you simply push them around trying to get them to predetermined locations. On the other hand, the rest of the games you listed only have one "target" per level, the target is usually 2 tiles high (or long, depending on orientation), and in addition to pushing it you can actually flip and rotate it to get it where you need it to be. Both types of game are fun, but they take a slightly different mentality to solve.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
04-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
I think Ankagua 3D would be classified as Sokoban. I'm no expert on either type of game, but Sokoban is usually (always?) multiple "targets" in the same level, the objects are only one tile wide by one tile high, and you simply push them around trying to get them to predetermined locations. On the other hand, the rest of the games you listed only have one "target" per level, the target is usually 2 tiles high (or long, depending on orientation), and in addition to pushing it you can actually flip and rotate it to get it where you need it to be. Both types of game are fun, but they take a slightly different mentality to solve.
Yes correct, although I know Ankagua is Sokoban type game, I havent heard Diamond Islands classified as a specific type of game considering there are so many of those type of games lol like Cubicman which I think Deb forgot also Timebox and at least 3 others that were listed or not. Just wondering what those games are called or what is the original game they are cloned after?

Anyway Im really enjoying these games too just picked up Ankagua and playing Diamonds as well, I'll prob pick up Cubicman after finishing Diamonds.

Last edited by Scott30; 04-09-2009 at 07:32 AM.
04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianW View Post
Have you checked out Edge - that looks very similar to a couple of the games you listed. (There's a lite version so you can try it for free).
ahah you say that because there are cubes in those games.

Edge uses an isometric view and geometric shapes, but except that, Edge is unique and the gameplay is really different. those "put the object in the hole" games are puzzle games, but I believe Edge is more a plateformer.
04-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobigame View Post
ahah you say that because there are cubes in those games.

Edge use an isometric view and geometric shapes, but except that, Edge is unique and the gameplay is really different. those "put the object in the hole" games are puzzle games, but I believe Edge is more a plateformer.
Agreed Edge doesnt fall into either of those other two type of games mentioned, Edge is a cube pushing game but as mentioned much more of a platformer, very different and unique from those other games...
04-09-2009, 07:49 AM
There's Shape Escape.
04-09-2009, 07:49 AM
i think cubicman fits this type of game
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284147909&mt=8
there is a lite.
this is the only one i have of this type of game but cubic is a pretty good game
04-09-2009, 07:51 AM
which one was the first game of this kind? I think it is a flash game called Bloxorz made by http://www.dxinteractive.com/ but I am not sure...

you can play it for free here : http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/bloxorz

edit : Cubic Man for iPhone and Diamond Island for mobile came after Bloxorz
04-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I know of a put the object in the hole game, but I'm afraid it's inappropriate to post it on a iPod forum.