★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New, original word game, different from the rest

04-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Perplexo Words, Original word game, different from others, a few promo codes included

Carried Away Games, a small indie game dev, has released Perplexo Words on the App Store. A blend of anagrams, crosswords, word search and other popular word games, Perplexo Words challenges players like no other word game.

In the game, the player rearranges letters to spell words--the longer the better. But you have a limited number of moves you can make before the level ends, so move letters wisely!

Here is a video showing basic gameplay:

Youtube link | Pop Up

More videos can be found at our Channel:

-Single player campaign of 48 levels
-Look over the board for words to spell that take the fewest moves
-Wild and multiplier letters to boost scores
-"Tests" in each level--spell the necessary word and receive bonuses
-Spell two or more words at once, and get a huge combo bonus
-Pass levels by getting at least a C+. Try to get an A+, or outdo the developer scores for a real challenge
-High scores posted to Game Center
-Head-to-head play through Game Center

We hope you'll give the game a try, and let us know what you think.

Here are a few promo codes, please post when you've used one, and we'd really appreciate your leaving a rating in the app store, if allowed, or letting us know what you think:

Thanks for looking, and trying the game!

Carried Away Games

Last edited by carriedawaygames; 04-28-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added promo codes
04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Gameplay is intriguing. Not sure about the background as I'd prefer something more professional and sleek, but that's just a minor niggle, as it is aligns with the overall school theme of the game. Checking out the other vids now...

Thanks to Deej for the appinfo.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 04-22-2011 at 01:30 PM.

04-22-2011, 01:23 PM
looks kewl

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
04-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the help, ColeDaddy and DJFlippy.

Huge Thanks, ColeDaddy and DJFlippy. Would you guys be interested in promo codes? I'd be happy to send some over. Send me a message if you are.

Also, the comments about the background are well-taken. We intentionally went with a more painter-ly style, but have wondered if some more detailed would be better received?

We've focused on the gameplay a lot, but wonder how much would a change in graphics help with the reception of the game.

Comments are hugely appreciated.
04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Promo Codes sent, ColeDaddy

Hope you like the game, and will post your comments here.

04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Is this timed or a casual mode game? I don't see a timer so hoping that its a casual (no timer) game. It does have different game styles implemented that makes it interesting and as the title says, different from others.
04-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the question. It is not a timed game. You have as long as you want to search for the best words you can spell. We think it has a lot of replayability, as each level has a C+, B+ and A+ point level to try to achieve, and we also throw in a strong score that the dev team has achieved in each level as a sort of "super" goal. We know that you can get better than those scores, but it requires some thought.
04-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Very early comments as just playing the single mode (haven't found anyone yet to hook up with) but as mentioned it has GC scoring and once into the game it has a full in-depth menu you slide showing scoring and hints. The game is challenging to play with a certain number move requirement along with the Trimester Test for different word play requirements making it an even more unique play. I'm thankful for a casual mode as it takes time to consider word options within the game along with the undo button being helpful.
The blocks may be a a bit of the small side for some but still doable and I personally don't seem to mind the art work.

Again, just mentioning some quick thoughts at the moment. Worth the 99 cents to play though. A very nice game play that has all the elements to keep it interesting and challenging.
04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Good luck with that for sales and try geting it Android freemium with ads could make a bit of cash
04-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the review, Coldar. One thing to mention, we give more moves as the game progresses, so you can make more complex words. The specials also add another element to increase depth.

We feel like there's a good amount of gameplay time because there's no timer. It's also not a game that is easy to play for hours, because it's fairly mentally taxing.

Thanks again.