★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Powerboat Challenge out now- any good?

11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Powerboat Challenge out now- any good?

Here's the link. Does anyone know if this is any good? From the screenshots it looks great! Not bad price either at 2.39/$4
11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
just played it a little. is a well done game. feels like it has some depth to it, like a gameloft game. unlockables, you earn money to boost your ship.

accelerometer racing, and you have to go around bouys. The closer you get to the bouys the better, and you get speed boost credit. If you miss 3 bouys you are out of the race

arn

11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
looks pretty good. I'll bite, but I gotta wait til I get home. spotty wifi here at work
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I just bought noise.io for $9.99 because I figured no good games would arrive soon. That was about two minutes before this came out.

I'm trying to limit the amount on my iTunes receipts.
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your replies so far. I am assuming it is arcade racing rather than simulation right? Does it actually handle like you are racing a speedboat (ie only being able to turn while accelerating)? Are there waves or is the water flat?

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 11-03-2008 at 01:57 PM.
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Thanks for your replies so far. I am assuming it is arcade racing rather than simulation right? Does it actually feel like you are racing a speedboat (ie only being able to turn while accelerating)? Are there waves or is the water flat?
in the first few tracks I tried, the water was flat. and there is no acceleration. just regular going forward and the "boost".

it's an arcade experience.

arn
11-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Looks like a solid game. Might need to review it.
11-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks Arn- might get this.
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Not Bad...

Okay... so it's not HydroThunder (sigh), but the game is pretty decent. I went through a few races and had a good time with it. The graphics are good and with updates there's always hope things will get better.

The only thing really missing for me on the first few go arounds was a little map of the track so you know what is coming up and a way to know how close the other racers are to you. In one race I got ahead very early and had no idea how far behind the others were. Knowing someone is right behind you gives the added pressure factor that games like this need.

But all in all not a bad game. I know I'll kick myself when it gets that little price drop, but I'm sure I'll get my $4 out of it.
11-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I just noticed this and went and watched the gameplay video on their website and it looks good, although the video is for the previous mobile version ( http://www.fishlabs.net/en/mobile-ga...boat-challenge )

Im not too excited about boat racing, but I saw this on their site ( http://www.fishlabs.net/en/mobile-ga...galaxy-on-fire ) and I really hope they port it over. It looks awesome, graphics are sweet (even for below iPhone quality) and its a;ready been reviewed really well. Here's hoping they port it over.

Honestly all their games look great and a step above most of whats on the iPhone right now.