★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So if I write reviews for a site can I put it on my sig?

04-09-2009, 01:50 PM
So if I write reviews for a site can I put it on my sig?

- Can I put it on my sig?
- Can I tell people about it? I.e. Hey I wrote a review.
- Can I copy and paste the review into a thread instead of sending people to the review site?
- Does it make a difference whether the site has ads or not?

Don't check this site or private messages often.
04-09-2009, 01:54 PM
No self promotion outside signature and on your wall.
Now if some one else gave a link not from the website it would be different. You can post your review here just no linking to where it normally is outside your signature

04-09-2009, 02:03 PM
So my sig could say

"I write reviews at jgfdjfdjfdk"

and then I can just go into any thread and write "I wrote a review for it, here it is:"

?

04-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelongintheforums View Post
No self promotion outside signature and on your wall.
Now if some one else gave a link not from the website it would be different. You can post your review here just no linking to where it normally is outside your signature
Note that ibitf has links to other TA forum threads, iTunes games and even a plea for helping in buying his next game. The only thing we're missing are the Flickr pics
04-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
So my sig could say

"I write reviews at jgfdjfdjfdk"

and then I can just go into any thread and write "I wrote a review for it, here it is:"

?
Yea just don't post a link in the thread
What I like to do is create a shortened review and post it here an in my sig I write
FULL REVIEW OF "XXXX" here

That way it they have a link to the full review and it looks like it's apart of the post but your not breaking rules
04-09-2009, 02:34 PM
So, the basic rule is "no self promotion" with the exception of developers promoting their games/apps.

That means you can't promote your blog, youtube channel, reviews you've written on other sites. That includes links, of course, but also any other round-about references (click my sig, visit my site, go google this site).

Basically, if you are posting for the purpose of driving traffic to your site/review/etc, it's not allowed.

We do allow people to add links to their signature links within reason. Overly flashy sigs or people posting useless posts just to get their sig out there is not "within reason" and will result in warnings/bans.

I've said this before, but the reason we don't allow it is not because we're mean or because we are afraid of competition. When we did allow it, it resulted in a lot of spam that brought down the forums significantly. When people have something to gain personally, they will abuse the system. And people always try to get around it... so we are very strict about this.

To answer your questions

- Can I put it on my sig?

Yes. "within reason"

- Can I tell people about it? I.e. Hey I wrote a review.

No. If you like a game, tell people why you like it. Don't tell people you wrote a review on some other site.

- Can I copy and paste the review into a thread instead of sending people to the review site?

I suppose so. If you are adding value to the thread and not doing it to promote your site, then yes. (But you can not reference the site, as it will simply encourage people mass copy/posting their reviews here.)

- Does it make a difference whether the site has ads or not?

Makes no difference.

arn
04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
So is my siganature within reason? I have my youtube account linked, but if necessary, I will remove it.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks, arn, that answered all my questions

04-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
So is my siganature within reason? I have my youtube account linked, but if necessary, I will remove it.
I can't imagine that it isn't. It's not like you created an animated gif with lots of flashing colors, exclamation marks and a large font guiding people to your YT page.

(Not even sure we can put images in our sig, never tried.)

Stefan
04-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
yep, it's fine.

arn