★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Designers?

04-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Designers?

Put your hands up if you're a designer.
I wanna get to know some.
04-24-2011, 09:56 AM
who designs and programs?
who just design?

04-24-2011, 10:01 AM
I guess most people here needs to do some design work time-to-time. It would be easier to find full-time game designers in large game companies than indie developers.
04-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, W. I am just interested in seeing who does both and who has someone to design and someone to code and how they go about stuff.
04-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I always find it really cool how here most devs seem to do both, but when I think about programmers I know personally not many of them seem to not have much imagination. Maybe because we're all old. These youngens who can do it all... gee what's the world coming too :P
04-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Both of our full timers do both, we have to. On Scribble Worm I'm also artist, musician, and sound guy. You have to wear a ton of hats on any small project. At a big company I might do nothing but write shaders or optimize memory layout. Maybe if we ever sell a billion of something I'll be able to hire someone to do only one thing at a time.
04-24-2011, 03:34 PM
What is a "designer"? This is such a broad term..?!

You can add the term designer to all of thoose positions

Concept,texture,model,enviroment,character,story,d ialoge,gui,sound,level,game,tech,tool, etc...
04-25-2011, 06:32 AM
There are two of us and I break things when I try to be technical, so i stick to the creative parts and my partner hasn't got an imaginative bone in his body so he sticks to just programming.
I guess we're a rare team but well matched. We only do it for a hobby though.
We work pretty slowly in our spare time. It'd be lovely if we had more time.
04-25-2011, 08:36 AM
I just program and have outsourced 100% of art and graphic design. I know what looks good and I know my weaknesses so I wouldn't attempt to even touch designing a game.

Now on the other hand, I am creative and do come up with the concepts and ideas for games, but I just dont have (or want) the skill to design the graphics.

Some folks (i think Tiny Wings guy) are capable of doing both or all three (if you throw in audio), but i think most people are good at one or the other and for the most part should stick to their strong points if they plan on doing this as a business.
04-25-2011, 08:55 AM
It all depends what you mean by 'design'. If you mean graphic design then I think I did too much of that and will be making more use of proper graphic designers in the future. I think Ground Effect's presentation let down the coding and gameplay.

If you mean actual game designers who have "the vision" or, in bigger companies on big games, their minions, few iOS games are developed that way. Games are usually designed by the programmer or maybe the artist.

Personally, I think creativity is the only thing that makes game coding any different from working on a financial database or something. It's why I'm doing my own ideas on iPhone, I can't stand having my work reduced to trying to create what is in the head of some turd who is somehow being paid to 'make a game' without sweating over actual code or a 3D package.

I've only worked with a couple of designers in 25 years that didn't make me want to strangle them

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-