★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Time for 2nd gen devices to be left behind?

04-24-2011, 12:13 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Termina
Posts: 1,601
Time for 2nd gen devices to be left behind?

Over the past year, there has been understandable outrage within the 2nd Gen fanbase on that many games are leaving them behind. If you were cut off from a vast selection of many of the best games, you too would feel incensed?

But why should developers be pinned back to what they can achieve when people with 2+ year old devices are demanding the newest tech to be available to them? The gradual evolution of the app store and the quality of the games, both graphically and gameplay wise is being halted by these people.

You could argue that there is indeed an audience, but there is a much larger audience with newer devices. You could also argue why should people spend however much to upgrade and play the newest games? This is like trying to play Crysis 2 on a 2008 PC - it's not going to happen. When the 5th Generation iPod Touch and iPhone are released, I believe it is time for those clinging onto ancient technology to have to accept that the latest games cannot and should not be made to run on their iPod.

If there are games that can, then fair enough. But if you want to complain about not having an unlimited budget and unlimited funds to buy a relatively cheap device when you probably spent it's price tag on apps in the last year, then don't complain about not being able to play UE3 games, and the rest will not when their device expires.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
04-24-2011, 12:21 PM
#2
No.
The oldest 3rd gen device, the iPhone 4 only came out a year ago, and now all good games should be adapted to that? You selfish f*ck.

04-24-2011, 12:30 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Termina
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by superzarop View Post
No.
The oldest 3rd gen device, the iPhone 4 only came out a year ago, and now all good games should be adapted to that? You selfish f*ck.
iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4G = 4th Generation
iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 3G = 3rd Generation

Anything below that should, when the 5th generation devices are released, be gradually dropped, because balancing 4 dramatically varying devices has no benefit for the evolution of iOS as a gaming platform. Try to actually argue sensibly and without expletives or just come off as arrogant.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
04-24-2011, 12:34 PM
#4
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 7,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
2+ year old devices are demanding the newest tech to be available to them?
There is something REALLY wrong with that sentence. You say it like 2 years is 2 million years.
04-24-2011, 12:35 PM
#5
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by superzarop View Post
No.
The oldest 3rd gen device, the iPhone 4 only came out a year ago, and now all good games should be adapted to that? You selfish f*ck.
the iphone 4 is fourth generation actually n hes not being selfish he has a 1st gen ipod which means he wont be able to play new games either. Also is it not also selfish if older gen owner hold back the true potential of iphone gaming just because they cant/wont upgrade to a new device?

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
04-24-2011, 12:41 PM
#6
Oh right I thought that iPhone 3GS is also 2nd gen.
Since iphone 4 has a ram of 512 mb and 3gs a ram of 256 mb, do the 2ng gen devices have 128 mb? Then I'll totally agree with you guys, because I am a selfish prick that only cares being able to play the games on my 3rd gen devices
04-24-2011, 12:41 PM
#7
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 7,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNexus View Post
the iphone 4 is fourth generation actually n hes not being selfish he has a 1st gen ipod which means he wont be able to play new games either.
Are you an idiot? Why the hell would he post this if he has a 1st gen? He joined over 2 years ago and he hasn't updated that part yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNexus View Post
Also is it not also selfish if older gen owner hold back the true potential of iphone gaming just because they cant/wont upgrade to a new device?
Is that why Real Racing 2 can't run on a 2g?
04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Termina
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
There is something REALLY wrong with that sentence. You say it like 2 years is 2 million years.
In technology terms it is.

It entirely depends on the market. It's why companies such as Nintendo don't make different handhelds with different specs in one generation - because you can't go telling some people they can play and some that can't. Apple, quite rightly constantly develop their products, thus why iOS has caught up so quickly - but to get even further these 3 year old devices will have to be eventually dropped. In my opinion, 3 years is old enough.

@Crex it's why 2G can't run the biggest graphical step - Unreal Engine. Developers won't and aren't using the engine in abundance, partially due to its high costs but also due to fear of closing off the older devices market.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
04-24-2011, 12:55 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
Anything below that should, when the 5th generation devices are released, be gradually dropped, because balancing 4 dramatically varying devices has no benefit for the evolution of iOS as a gaming platform.
This is very trust, especially since some engines aren't supporting older devices. For example I believe UDK for iOS doesn't support anything below the 3GS.

And as you aptly pointed out, it's not good for iOS gaming. One of the strongest advantages iOS has for developers is the small number of devices that have to be considered when developing, whereas Android (et others) have only, oh I dunno, a kajillion devices to keep in mind.

-taky

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
There is something REALLY wrong with that sentence. You say it like 2 years is 2 million years.
haha, I thought the same thing.

What has happened to us as a people? :/

-taky

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.