★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

When to submit an app for review sites ?

04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
When to submit an app for review sites ?

So within the last few weeks I've been reading numerous articles about promotion/marketing/review possbilities and options and the questions occured, when would one actually submit an app to all these sources and resources out there ?

1) Do you send sort of an unofficial test build to these sites way before an official release date ?

2) Do you announce the existence with a video/screenshots to get in touch with these sites and then let them know when it's in the stores and ask for a review ?

3) Do you contact the sites right the second after the app has been released ?

4) Any other options ?

I did a good search for this topic, but couldn't find answers to this question, just tons and tons of general information about how to actually get reviewed, not when the best moment would be.
Would love to hear how you guys went down this road with some of your apps

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

My humble Portfolio: www.acumen-design.de/blog
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/fabi_smith
04-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I didn't do this for my first game, my release was rather unorganized, but for my next one this is what i plan to do.

Once your final build as been approved by apple, set your release out about 3-4 weeks. you can give out promo codes that allow the game to be downloaded prior to release. Be sure and include the release date and ask if they can publish the review on or after that date (preferably on that date).

If you are an unkown, they will probably only publish review close to the date if they really like your game.

04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Send a message via MSN to Fruit Roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
So within the last few weeks I've been reading numerous articles about promotion/marketing/review possbilities and options and the questions occured, when would one actually submit an app to all these sources and resources out there ?

1) Do you send sort of an unofficial test build to these sites way before an official release date ?

2) Do you announce the existence with a video/screenshots to get in touch with these sites and then let them know when it's in the stores and ask for a review ?

3) Do you contact the sites right the second after the app has been released ?

4) Any other options ?

I did a good search for this topic, but couldn't find answers to this question, just tons and tons of general information about how to actually get reviewed, not when the best moment would be.
Would love to hear how you guys went down this road with some of your apps
OMG, we did the same thing at the same time.
I've got a collection of these rescources but dunno how to let those sites review my app.
You got any idea? We may exchange a lot.
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraspy View Post
I didn't do this for my first game, my release was rather unorganized, but for my next one this is what i plan to do.

Once your final build as been approved by apple, set your release out about 3-4 weeks. you can give out promo codes that allow the game to be downloaded prior to release. Be sure and include the release date and ask if they can publish the review on or after that date (preferably on that date).

If you are an unkown, they will probably only publish review close to the date if they really like your game.
Thanks, I'm also looking for this kind of info, do you have any experience with review site? I always read that most of the review site is not worth it and only push a minor sales increase. Which site do you think is the best to send the promo code?
04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Alright, what Kraspy wrote already made much sense, still it'd be cool if others could hop in and share their experiences

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I've been wondering about this myself. Thanks for asking the right questions!

My first iOS app is out! - Guitar School *SUPPORT INDIE DEVELOPMENT!*
App Store link: http://bit.ly/dJx3Js Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/guitarschoolapp
Facebook Fan Page: http://on.fb.me/fG8dqW
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Send a message via MSN to Fruit Roll
I have personally collected a bunch of review sites and their contact information, if anyone like I would share them.
But I have no experience of submitting my game to those sites for review, just prepare for future need.
04-28-2011, 07:46 AM
You have to submit the game, give a promo code, send a YouTube video of gameplay to give them a preview of the game to see if they're interested. Really do what you can to sell the game to them, and belive me, they're one tough audience.
04-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Alright, sounds just like the piece of cake, we can choke on
Thanks for all your help, guys - see you on the other side !

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

04-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Here is my experience with releasing our first game:

I did like a lot of people and waited till the game was released before I sent out emails to review sites. This was my first mistake. As stated before put your release time a few weeks in the future and contact review sites during that time.

Don't just send out promo codes to review sites because that does not guarantee a review. Contact the site first and show them screenshots and information about your game and ask them if they would do a review of your game if you sent along a code. Doing this saved me a lot of promo codes.

Once your game is released you will get a lot of emails from sites asking for money for promotion and even some small review sites asking for codes for a review. It is your choice here what you want to do but I suggest doing research into anyone that contacts you about a review on their site.

A cool thing to do is to do a contest or promotion on twitter for some promo codes. We got really lucky and fortunate to get Ciji Thornton (aka StarSlay3r) to try and like our game so she volunteered to do a give away of promo codes on her facebook and twitter. Thank you Ciji so much! Please don't contact Ciji about doing this because I'm sure she gets thousands of requests like this a day. We had the good fortune to meet and befriend her at PAX last year.

My 150% suggestion is to take your game to conferences and show it off to people. Conferences such as PAX, GDC and even E3 (though E3 has been very corporate as of late) are good conference to make friends and get contacts. There are some others that could work for your game if it is a specific type of genre also.

Be active on twitter and befriend other indie developers. This will get your name out there and if you have any questions they are usually more than happy to help. Also, support other indie developers!

http://www.VortexGamesInc.com

A new indie game development company with fun and passion in our heart.