★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How do you get your app reviewed [Uggles]

04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
#1
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 516
How do you get your app reviewed [Uggles]

Reviews, I thought about putting this into the developers forum (and maybe a mod will move it) but I also thought that this is relevant to non-developers too!

I'm responsible for PR at frogameleon, we are a small indie development company 2 -3 staff, and we don't have the resources or finances for a big marketing campaign. As such getting our game reviewed by one of the big sites is crucial to us having any sales success and as a result is pivotal to whether we can even make our next game.

Over the last two-three weeks I have sent press releases, promo codes and just about everything short of begging letters to all of the major review sites. Without exception I have not heard anything back, nothing, not even the courtesy of "it's not for us" response.

I fully understand that these sites receive hundreds of potential apps, but with Uggles we're sitting in the top 20 chart, and have been featured by Apple.

What does it take to get a response from the reviewers these days, has anyone else had better success, or is it only the likes of Chillingo and ngmoco that can get this kind of exposure?

From a consumers point of view, how many games are being lost in the system, purely because they are not being pushed by a major publisher?

Thoughts?
04-09-2009, 06:40 PM
#2
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 4,761
This site lists some of the new reviews:

http://www.apptism.com/reviews?x=20&...type=&user_id=

04/08/2009 AppCraverAlpine RacerAlpine Racer Shows Promise ...
04/08/2009 Slide to PlayFlight ControlFlight Control Review
04/08/2009 MacworldThe Oregon TrailReview: Oregon Trail for iP...
04/08/2009 AppCraverInvasion of the ZakksInvasion of the Zakks: Itís...
04/08/2009 148AppsChromazoneChromazone
04/08/2009 Slide to PlayThe New York Times Crosswor...New York Times
04/08/2009 MacworldGalconReview: Galcon for iPhone

Most of the games are over a month old..

04-09-2009, 06:45 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 1,549
I know, we all are reviewers if you think about it... We're the early adopters, the free beta testers, the vanguard of development, as it were...

you simply need to present your game/app here and odds are we'll end up looking at it and many are consistently reliable for reviews!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
04-09-2009, 06:52 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
I currently head up corporate communications for a tech company, but I used to do PR for EA, Sony and Labtech. What you're struggling with right now is not unusual by any means. The iTunes store is flooded with new game releases every day, and many good games get buried and overlooked. Does it suck? Yes, it sucks big time when you see lousy games and apps (won't name any) hit the top 100.

Having said that, sending codes to major gaming pubs is not going to work because undoubtedly, the big gaming houses will get most if not all of the attention. So you need to be creative in who you target and develop a more viral approach to getting your name out there. Think a little more broadly if that makes sense. Remember the audience matters and you may be limiting yourself if you think it's just gamers that you should reach out to. Also, take a measured approach because even though the shelf life of a game these days is measured in short months, you do have time. PM me if you're interested and I can share some ideas.

Last edited by Big Albie; 04-09-2009 at 06:56 PM.
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
#5
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I currently head up corporate communications for a tech company, but I used to do PR for EA, Sony and Labtech. What you're struggling with right now is not unusual by any means. The iTunes store is flooded with new game releases every day, and many good games get buried and overlooked. Does it suck? Yes, it sucks big time when you see lousy games and apps (won't name any) hit the top 100.

Having said that, sending codes to major gaming pubs is not going to work because undoubtedly, the big gaming houses will get most if not all of the attention. So you need to be creative in who you target and develop a more viral approach to getting your name out there. Think a little more broadly if that makes sense. Remember the audience matters and you may be limiting yourself if you think it's just gamers that you should reach out to. Also, take a measured approach because even though the shelf life of a game these days is measured in short months, you do have time. PM me if you're interested and I can share some ideas.
Yeah you're right, I need to get more creative, I guess it makes sense that the bigger review sites will ignore us smaller/indie devs.
04-09-2009, 07:03 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 4,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Yeah you're right, I need to get more creative, I guess it makes sense that the bigger review sites will ignore us smaller/indie devs.
You could create an Uggle and mail it to the site. That would get noticed.
04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: You need to stalk me?
Posts: 2,117
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Yeah you're right, I need to get more creative, I guess it makes sense that the bigger review sites will ignore us smaller/indie devs.
The site I run is definitely not considered a big site per se but in defense of the the big sites (148, STP etc), I don't think they necessarily ignore smaller/indie devs because they definitely cover them.

I think sending emails to them and interacting with them directly (twitter, conferences etc) gets you noticed. Preview versions/ad hoc builds also help so they can put up a review as soon as you app goes live.

Do you have a twitter page? facebook page? What other social networking tools do you use?

---

Yes. You'll have a review from us.

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
04-09-2009, 07:10 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Yeah you're right, I need to get more creative, I guess it makes sense that the bigger review sites will ignore us smaller/indie devs.
They don't necessarily ignore you, but you can't rely on them as your sole marketing outlet. I just replied back to your PM so I hope that helps.
04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
#9
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
You could create an Uggle and mail it to the site. That would get noticed.
That's really not a bad idea, we're expanding the Uggle population with 1.2 so maybe some ideas around the new characters!
04-09-2009, 07:16 PM
#10
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
They don't necessarily ignore you, but you can't rely on them as your sole marketing outlet. I just replied back to your PM so I hope that helps.
Yeah that does help, thanks.