★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Explore 100 levels of critter packed adventure, as you play the hero in a quest to reach a horde of treasure and a princess in distress.

Dungeons and Caves is a classic adventure game with a casual play style. Equip your character with the best equipment and try and explore as deep into the cave as you can. If you run low on health, you can warp back to the beginning of the cave - but be warned, you will only get to keep the rarest of artifacts that you find.

[Dungeons and Cave is OpenFeint enabled.]
04-26-2011, 01:38 AM
I pad only... but looks interesting. Are the floors random?

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder

04-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Clever title. Not exactly using the iPad screenspace to it's fullest, but the interface has a nice look to it.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
04-26-2011, 02:12 AM
There's a Flash version of this, and I REALLY liked it (it's one of the highest rated games on Kongregate):
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Dust...enchanted-cave

The iPad interface looks, to be brutally honest, horrible; I wish they'd taken advantage of the larger interface and did something other than more UI.

That said, the game is REALLY fun with a strong collection aspect that will appeal to most. You owe it to yourself to at least try the Flash version.

To answer the question above, I forget if the floor layout is random or not (I think not) the the monster placement itself is random, which changes how you play through the level.

Due to the way the game is played, you will often replay through floors to earn better equipment (it's more fun than it sounds). In a nutshell, it's almost impossible to beat the game in a single 'life'. Instead, you'll go as far as you can and then teleport out, saving only the 'artifacts' you find. When you start the game again (there are checkpoints every 10 floors), you'll start with these artifacts, which make your life easier, and allow you to go deeper and deeper. There are also stat gems, which you get to keep as well. Constantly pushing that boundary and collecting as many artifacts as possible makes this game a ton of fun.

Last edited by lazypeon; 04-26-2011 at 02:15 AM.
04-26-2011, 04:05 AM
My only complaint is that you get artifacts to see enemy stats. But unlike the flash game, you can't highlight the monsters to see them. Adds a little more difficulty. But. The ui actually looks good on tHe screen. Wish it was on the left.

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder
04-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Shouldn't this be in the iPad section then?
04-26-2011, 04:32 AM
this looks to be the same game as enchanted cave, a game i already own on ipad.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/enchanted-cave/id399424936?mt=8
it has a different publisher now.

Last edited by mekanikal fiend; 04-26-2011 at 06:31 AM.
04-26-2011, 04:54 AM
Looks great, but it's not my taste.
04-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanikal fiend View Post
this looks to be the same game as enchanted cave, a game i already own on ipad.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/enchanted-cave/id399424936?mt=8
it has a different publisher now.
Interesting. The older version says that openfeint was removed due to crashing but the one in this thread says it is openfeint enabled. You would think they would remove the older version from the store as it is unlikely to receive any updates.
04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I also already own this game as Enchanted Cave. I hate when this happens, as mentioned I doubt the old version is going to get updated now that it seems to have a new iOS developer.