★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Reiner Knizia's Knights of Charlemagne

04-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Reiner Knizia's Knights of Charlemagne

Now that the game is available I was recommended to put up a new thread in this forum

Reiner Knizia's Knights of Charlemagne $1.99 a difficult strategy game with 3 AI levels!

How to play:

On your turn you must deploy one of your knights to one of the Estates on the board. Knights can be deployed to the Estate with the same number or the same color. ie Orange 5 can be deployed to the 5 Estate or the Orange Estate.

Estates are won at the end of the game by whoever deployed the most Knights to it (The number has no effect on this, it just determines which Estate a knight can be deployed to).

Estates are calculated from left to right. The numbered Estates score their number in points. ie the 3 Estate scores 3 points, the 4 Estate scores 4 points, etc. The colored Estates all score 5 points each.

Bonus: When scoring the numbered Estates, the first player to win two of them wins the Crown Bonus, worth 5 points. ie, I win the 2 Estate, you win the 3, I win the 4 Estate, and then I win the crown since I was first to win 2 numbered Estates.

Whoever has more points at the end wins!

A few game controls/tips:

The tent icon shows you how many Knights are left in reserve. So, say you really want to win the Orange Estate and the tent shows 10. You know you'll be getting 10 more knights so it's a good chance you'll get at least an orange knight or two. Tap the tent icon to sort your hand by number or by color.

The sword icons indicate which player is currently winning that Estate. You'll hear a different sound if a player takes control of an Estate.

There are 2 Knights of each number from 1 to 5 in each color. ie two blue 1's, two blue 2's, two blue 3's, two blue 4's, etc. That makes 50 cards total. So a good player will be able to look at the board and say aha! I see that both Orange 3's have been played. Therefore, I know it's not possible for my opponent to have an Orange 3...or aha! All 10 green cards have been played, I'm guaranteed to win green now and you can focus your attention elsewhere Easy, right? Only one problem...two random cards are removed from the deck at the start of the game. So be careful! You can only be 99% sure of what your opponent has, but never 100%!

All these rules are available in the game in the form of a rules screen and in-game tutorial tips from the Squire! You can turn those off on the rules screen though if you grow weary of them.

Good luck!
04-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Got it and liked it. Feels like a Wiiware game.

Don't check this site or private messages often.

04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Got it and liked it. Feels like a Wiiware game.
So is this a risk-type game where you deploy/attack and reinforce troops?
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Kinda, but there's only 10 spots to capture. And it's not real-time capturing. You put knights there and the totals are tallied at the end of the round.

Don't check this site or private messages often.
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
04-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Beat the AI at the hardest level (squire = easy, the knight = medium and charlemagne = hard). Think it's pretty obvious strategy to tie whenever possible better to both score a point each than let your opponent walk away with +5 points. It's decent and was worth my $2. Not as addictive as Lost Cities is though but still enjoyable just like Poison is.
Here is the game I just beat the Charlemagne at. What was the deciding factor? The crown (worth 5 points) of course. Winning estates 1 and 5 sealed the deal for me as those were the first two to be won.

04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Awesome! Cool to see people are liking it.

Wow, nice @mrbass. I wouldn't want to play you -- I've only beaten Charlemagne once myself, and it took *a lot* of tries That crown bonus is quite the clincher...

Also wanted to mention that if you guys enjoy the game, feel free to give it a rating or review!

Thanks!!

Edit: It was suggested that I provide a few promo codes, for people who'd like to try out the game and give a few tips on how to play / strategies. Let me know when you successfully use one, and I can cross it out

1. ***********
2. ***********
3. ***********
4. ***********

Last edited by conlan; 04-10-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: updated promo codes
04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I got #4. I am going to check your game out once it is done downloading.
04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I took the code starting 6PJJ.... Thanks I will check it out for awhile and provide feedback/review.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
04-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I just downloaded the game, using the 2nd promo code.

I'll try out the game and get back with a short review. Thanks for porting over the first (and hopefully, more) of Dr. Knizia's games! Have you considered porting over Colossal Arena.....one of my favorites!

richmlow