★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Finding/Hiring a programmer for an church app

04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Finding/Hiring a programmer for an church app

Hi,

I am CONSIDERING getting a programmer to help me develop an app for my church. Basically it will be an app to provide the person with information (upcoming events, news, upcoming service, read your bible in a year versus, etc).

I have no idea how to program. I know basic C++ and html/css. Therefore, I need major help. I feel like once the layout is done and once taught how to add information, I would be able to keep it updated.

How do I go about finding a programmer? Is it going to cost me $1,000's of dollars?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
04-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by big d 51 View Post
I have no idea how to program. I know basic C++ and html/css. Therefore, I need major help. I feel like once the layout is done and once taught how to add information, I would be able to keep it updated.
why not create a website; then build a very simply iOS application that embeds a UIWebView inside it that simply accesses your website. you publish this app; and you then maintain a website.

http://www.iphonesdkarticles.com/200...-tutorial.html

shows you how to use the UIWebView component; from there - you should be set. this will allow you to avoid using the safari environment; but still have a unique cool icon and app on the phone itself.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series

04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
why not create a website; then build a very simply iOS application that embeds a UIWebView inside it that simply accesses your website. you publish this app; and you then maintain a website.

http://www.iphonesdkarticles.com/200...-tutorial.html

shows you how to use the UIWebView component; from there - you should be set. this will allow you to avoid using the safari environment; but still have a unique cool icon and app on the phone itself.
Thats exactly what I need to do. Thank you greatly.

I will take some time to research this information you provided me with. Then I will bug you with multiples questions :-P j/k Sorta
04-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Because it will be rejected for violating section 2.12 of the App Store Review Guidelines.

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
04-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
You don't need to make and publish an app at all. Just write a webapp.

http://developer.apple.com/devcenter...i/index.action
04-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Send a message via AIM to DrummerB Send a message via MSN to DrummerB
Website wrapper apps aren't allowed anymore. You'll need to create an iPhone optimized website instead. That would be more difficult to monetize though, if that's your plan.
To hire someone to create a native app, with a backend for you to update the content could be quite expensive. Try posting a project on Elance or oDesk and see what quotes you get.

Developer of Practice Pro for musicians.
05-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerB View Post
Try posting a project on Elance or oDesk and see what quotes you get.
Thanks for this. I will do.