Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 PM
iPhone 4

Awwww, this game got me! I always have had a weakness for shumps (esp bullet hell). Got this game without thinking twice

Will post impressions and possibly review (only if its 5 stars ) later
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
iPhone 4

Impressions:
Gameplay: A lot more intense than Chillingo's Sky Combat. Though most of the enemies are stronger, and take multiple hits to kill. One aspect of the game that I'm not used to. Not sure if it is a design choice or oversight, as most shumps (especially the more intense ones) have weak lots of weak enemies that can be destroyed in under a second. This can result in too many bullets filling the screen, and also indirectly limits the player's movement as you are required to stay under an enemy for a few seconds to destroy it. Not an ideal situation in shumps with high volume of bullets.

Graphics: Sub par 3D textures compared to Sky Combat, but varied terrain, environment and enemy designs really pushes the game's aesthetics beyond that of Sky Combat's clean, but eventually unoriginal graphics.

Sound: Will 'try' to pay more attention to it in a later impression...
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Hi, most enemy fighters can be hit down by 1 or 2 shots. and you equipped with a powerful laser gun, which can beat down most big enemies.
For STG freshers, there's 3 difficulty modes, in the easy mode, your laser need only half time to recharge the laser gauge.
see the video. it is a gameplay in easy mode.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:42 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Graphics: Great 3D units and terrain, some with articulated parts. Decent visual style. Nice explosions and effects.

Sound: Decent. Sound effects are appropriate, and sound like a lot of other shooters out there.

Controls: Awkward, but workable with practice. Relative touch controls that have been slightly accelerated work ok, the awkward parts are in the extra features. Landing and taking off require a swipe down and up (respectively), but only on the top half of the screen. Your laser is activated with a swipe up in the bottom half. Bombs with a double tap.
It would be really nice to have the option for buttons to control these, as swiping sometimes gets in the way of the core gameplay of dodging bullets.

Gameplay: Well designed shmup, with some interesting additional features. Your fuel constantly runs out, but can be replenished (along with weapon upgrade, bombs, and health) by landing and allowing civilians to climb on board. You also have a rechargeable laser, and it's necessary to make liberal use of it for both scoring and survival.

Content: 6 levels, which is pretty standard for a shooter of this type. Each is of a good length, and well designed with lots of variety. Game Center leaderboards and achievements are present.

Conclusion: 3.5/5 A decent shooter, with some interesting additions, but the controls and steep difficulty (even on easy) make it inaccessible to many.

I'm currently sitting #1 on the Easy leaderboards with 26,054, which is quite a bit higher than the others (for now). I only started achieving those scores once I got the flow of landing, and spamming the laser as much as I could.

Edit: If you add buttons for the extra controls, please make an option to place them on either the left or right (for left handed players)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 AM
iPhone 4

After more thorough playing, I still have trouble grasping what this game is trying to be. The volume of enemy fire is more than shumps, yet less than bullet hells. Enemy units are tougher than bullet bullet hell enemies, but come in greater number than shumps. And the fuel mechanics, forcing the player to pickup 'items' periodically on the ground.
In short, this game is essentially a 'bullet shump'. It gathers the prominent features of both genres and tries to stay on the demarcation.
End result: 75% x 75% = 56.25%
2.8 stars from me.

If anyone care, this game would feel like a cross between Super Laser and Dodonpachi Resurrection. Doesn't succeed as either, ends up in a mess.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:49 AM

thanks strivemind, we will add virtual button on future upgrade!

the swipe up/down control is a main different feature than other shooters. we design this carefully because this control is suitable for shooter, because you can swipe on any position on the screen, which we think is better than the fixed virtual-button. but maybe you need some practice for first playing.

Any time you swipe up/down on the top half screen will land/take off your chopper.
And if you keep a finger touching the screen to control your chopper's direction , you can use your second finger to swipe up/down on any position to land or takeoff/fire laser. as like in the gameplay video.

We also recommend the tilt control which is also carefully designed, it not only calc the tilt angle but also count in the tilt speed. and in tilt mode, you swipe on any position to land/take off/fire laser

Gain high combo-points can achieve high score. and when you achieve 50 combos/100 combos. your shot's speed and reload time will be faster.

the game has more features, so need more control, but I think after the first playing practice, you will grasp it!
BTW, I can easily score 200,000+ scores

Last edited by c2matrix; 04-30-2011 at 01:58 AM..
Old 04-30-2011, 04:42 AM

Tips
*Use the laser weapon wisely, the laser gauge will recharge automatically with time.
*Every 50 combos will faster your fire speed and reload time.
*Pick up alliance members as more as you can.
*The swipe gesture is not limited to top-half screen in tilt control mode.
*The swipe gesture is not limited to top-half screen if it is your second finger (already using one to move the chopper)

Last edited by c2matrix; 04-30-2011 at 04:56 AM..
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default I Concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Graphics: Great 3D units and terrain, some with articulated parts. Decent visual style. Nice explosions and effects.

Sound: Decent. Sound effects are appropriate, and sound like a lot of other shooters out there.

Controls: Awkward, but workable with practice. Relative touch controls that have been slightly accelerated work ok, the awkward parts are in the extra features. Landing and taking off require a swipe down and up (respectively), but only on the top half of the screen. Your laser is activated with a swipe up in the bottom half. Bombs with a double tap.
It would be really nice to have the option for buttons to control these, as swiping sometimes gets in the way of the core gameplay of dodging bullets.

Gameplay: Well designed shmup, with some interesting additional features. Your fuel constantly runs out, but can be replenished (along with weapon upgrade, bombs, and health) by landing and allowing civilians to climb on board. You also have a rechargeable laser, and it's necessary to make liberal use of it for both scoring and survival.

Content: 6 levels, which is pretty standard for a shooter of this type. Each is of a good length, and well designed with lots of variety. Game Center leaderboards and achievements are present.

Conclusion: 3.5/5 A decent shooter, with some interesting additions, but the controls and steep difficulty (even on easy) make it inaccessible to many.

I'm currently sitting #1 on the Easy leaderboards with 26,054, which is quite a bit higher than the others (for now). I only started achieving those scores once I got the flow of landing, and spamming the laser as much as I could.

Edit: If you add buttons for the extra controls, please make an option to place them on either the left or right (for left handed players)
Great review and I agree. One question, when I land to p/u the people, how in the world do I get back up? Is it automatic, if so, it doesn't always work and I get pummeled. Please fix in the next update.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugimulm View Post
Great review and I agree. One question, when I land to p/u the people, how in the world do I get back up? Is it automatic, if so, it doesn't always work and I get pummeled. Please fix in the next update.
swipe down is land.
swipe up is take off if you landed or is being landing.

if you landed your chopper, and the chopper is about to reach the bottom of the screen, it will fly up automatically.

if your chopper is in the air, swipe up=fire laser

Last edited by c2matrix; 04-30-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Old 04-30-2011, 10:18 AM

The key to keep your fire power strong is avoid being hitted by the enemy's bullet, which not only reduce your HP but also reduce your fire power.

Rescue some kind of alliance members will get your power up.

A bomb will clear all bullets in the screen, and attack all enemies. but it also stop the combos.