★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Air Force vs Luftwaffe HD: Eye-candy meets fun gameplay

04-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios
Air Force vs Luftwaffe HD: Eye-candy meets fun gameplay

Bitmen Studios has just released Air Force vs Luftwaffe HD (see http://itunes.apple.com/app/air-force-vs-luftwaffe-hd/id433751710?mt=8&ls=1).

Not only did we invest a lot into the visuals but we have also made sure that the game is a lot of fun. We've polished this thing (thanks to all beta testers) until we could maximize the fun factor and we're now pretty happy with the result.

Our custom physics engine provides a very enjoyable flight experience and the controls are quite responsive to support the fast-paced nature of the game. We've also wasted 5 generations of fighter AI till we were happy with the results. There's a lot of content to unlock, incl. 12 planes for the Allies or the Axis.

We like to point out that we see this as an action game. While we do simulate quite a bit of physics like gravity, air resistance, stall, etc. and all planes have their own characteristics when it comes to acceleration, speed, critical angle, turn rate, damage, fire rate, plating (all of which can be upgraded), we have put fun over realism and it is more of an action game rather than a realistic simulation.

A few screenshots to give you a first impression:

Here's the official trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJDkeu5Hhk

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you already own the game, then please give us some feedback. We've really invested a lot into this baby and it's something we take pride in. Any suggestions and (sensible) feedback is also more than welcome.

BTW: the iPhone version will follow up later (May 6).

Bitmen Studios - We bring the Bits together.
Galactic Conflict RTS Air Force vs Luftwaffe.
Follow me on Twitter @BitmenStudios or visit my Indie Developer Blog
04-30-2011, 03:21 PM

04-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow ! The graphics look really polished ! I'll have to check out the price on itunes as soon as I'm done with a sync or two. This may be my new iPad plaything this weekend.

Good luck with sales, and with the release of the iPhone version.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
04-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Wow those graphics are nice! Gameplay looks fun too. Minisquadron esque with missions and modern theme. Will keep an eye out for the iphone version.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
04-30-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to impressions on game play !

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
05-01-2011, 06:47 AM
iFanzine did a preview on the game, check out http://ifanzine.com/air-force-vs-luf...nds-on-preview.

I'm pretty sure we'll get more reviews soon.

05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Impressions or reviews?

Looks very interesting, but I have not heard any other reviews or impressions. I have read the iFanzine article, but want more in for before I purchase. Anyone else out there?
05-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromBitmenStudios View Post
iFanzine did a preview on the game, check out http://ifanzine.com/air-force-vs-luf...nds-on-preview.

I'm pretty sure we'll get more reviews soon.
I read the preview, it lost me at "über-responsive tilt controls". I am one of the few that can't stand tilt controls, especially for a game like this. I look at the screenies for it and I think Mini Squadron, which has awesome touch controls. I couldn't imagine playing it with tilt controls. Is there at least an option to use touch controls?
05-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimstone82 View Post
I read the preview, it lost me at "über-responsive tilt controls". I am one of the few that can't stand tilt controls, especially for a game like this. I look at the screenies for it and I think Mini Squadron, which has awesome touch controls. I couldn't imagine playing it with tilt controls. Is there at least an option to use touch controls?
The tilt controls are very good IMHO (we spent a whole week fine tuning these until they really felt good) and of course there's a sensitivity slider in the settings. Let me quote a comment on the US App Store about our game:
Quote:
I find some accelerometer controls frustrating, but not this one. Very nice job on this game.
But if you are not a fan of tilt controls then you can go to settings and switch to on-screen buttons.

We tried our best to make the game accessible, there are a few other options like intelligent auto-fire (only fires when you got a chance to hit a target) and the so-called Kid's Mode that helps you with flying and avoids crashes (it automatically brings you out of stall and it also overrides your controls should you do something stupid that would make your plane crash).

Ontop of the usual beta testing in the community, we did quite a bit of usability tests (with persons we were watching while playing and then questioning afterwards). We had different kinds of people, from hardcore gamers to first time gamers, to see how different people cope with the game and make small adjustments.

Quote:
I think Mini Squadron...
I often hear the comparison with MiniSquadron and I gotta say, MiniSquadron was quite ok back then but Air Force vs Luftwaffe is a totally different generation. We have a totally different flying experience with some real physics which adds more strategy (can't just go up vertically at full speed), the landscape doesn't suddenly stop and you turn around (wtf?), you have more control of the fight with evasive out-of-plane maneuvers, you get wingmen and a whole squadron, you have a whole lot of missions to complete, most notably, we got a real cunning airplane AI (we have thrown away 5 AI generations, the AI has a lot of influence on how real the game feels and how much fun it is). Last but not least: the visuals are also - different. :P

I'd say if you absolutely despite action games, then it may not be for you, all the rest should find it a lot of fun.

05-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I would pick this one up but..tilt controls? And those explosions are really generic looking. Waiting for lite version before giving you my $3