★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How phones have changed the puzzle game!

04-30-2011, 03:58 PM
How phones have changed the puzzle game!

The best modern puzzles have three things in common:

1) Cute sounds and graphics
The best puzzle characters are so cute that they look like the offspring of Hello Kitty and Tickle-Me Elmo.

2) Use of unique phone interface
ET knows what a phone is because he wants to phone home, but most other aliens might think that we humans have a very abusive relationship with our phones. We like to yell into it, tilt it, tap it, and swipe at it.

3) Short and Simple
To solve a modern puzzle takes about 3 to 5 moves and one small insight. This is a perfect length for busy people who only have a minute to spare while waiting in line at the grocery store.

I am a huge puzzle enthusiast but, unlike the majority of the population, I don't like modern puzzle games. I am not entrhalled by cute sounds and graphics. I get annoyed when pop-up windows keep trying to get me to connect to a game center and earning achievements are worthless to me. These game makers do everything they can to distract and mesmerize--an ADD style game for an ADD world.
Not only are modern games too short, but they are too easy. They don't challenge me or frustrate me. And yes, I do enjoy being taken to my limits with frustration. The closer I am to the edge when I solve the puzzle, the more enjoyment I get out of it.

Anyway, here is a list of some good old-school style puzzle games that might not be well known.

1) Percepto
This is a clever puzzle game! Whatever the designers were smoking when they were making this game, pass it here!

2) Boxed In
This game is a classic! Made by two brothers, the concept is very simple, but also challenging and rewarding. The best thing about Boxed In is that if you like it, there are two sequals available to keep you entertained for a long time.

I'd be curious to know what your favorite old-school game are. Or if you like modern puzzle games better, why?

Last edited by blockthelaser; 05-01-2011 at 12:51 AM.
04-30-2011, 06:53 PM
I like a newer title called "Dungeon Raid." The combination of a beautifully-designed interface, RPG stats and a new type of puzzle game are really fun.

04-30-2011, 07:51 PM
lets not try to promote your own app here
04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
He may not promote game here. Yet none of them I ever know. Thanks for sharing!
05-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Understood. Let me go read the rules now before I make a bigger fool of myself.
05-01-2011, 02:10 AM
^I don't think anything wrong was done.

As for my opinion regarding the topic at hand, I have a love for all puzzles, easy and hard. When it's frustrating to the point that it's unplayable (be it control issues or a level lock) I would have something to complain about.

Tesseract is a hard puzzle in my opinion. But I like it as much as I like to play match-3 "puzzles."

plus+ scoreloop crystal : looby
agon openfeint gamecenter: loobylibby

Last edited by PhagoCychotic; 05-01-2011 at 02:15 AM.
05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Another puzzle game worth considering.

Tesseract is a hard puzzle in my opinion. But I like it as much as I like to play match-3 "puzzles."[/QUOTE]

Tesseract does look difficult. I'm going to try it out. Thanks for the tip.

There's another puzzle game that I like called RoboLogic, where you sequence actions into funtions to control a robot, but you have to plan it out thoughtfully because you are only allowed a limited number of commands. RoboLogic is worth the $1, but I would love to see someone take this concept to the next level. Here's a link to the RoboLogic Lite if you guys want to check it out.

I would love to see an app version of Portal. Anyone know if one exists?
05-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Yea, RoboLogic is pretty good. There was another good puzzler and was a robot on triangular pads in 3D and once it would cross a side it would turn a shade of color to know you've been there. Anyway, can't think of the name but was very challenging to play and a great concept for game play.
05-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osujxu View Post
lets not try to promote your own app here

In his post is not the slightest hint that he promotes his app. Maybe he said something about it and took it out, but that should be ok by now.

Devs are gamers, too - and why shouldn't he talk about a genre he loves?
He's looking in the same way for good games and hidden gems as we do.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
05-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockthelaser View Post
The best modern puzzles have three things in common:

1) Cute sounds and graphics
The best puzzle characters are so cute that they look like the offspring of Hello Kitty and Tickle-Me Elmo.

2) Use of unique phone interface
ET knows what a phone is because he wants to phone home, but most other aliens might think that we humans have a very abusive relationship with our phones. We like to yell into it, tilt it, tap it, and swipe at it.

3) Short and Simple
To solve a modern puzzle takes about 3 to 5 moves and one small insight. This is a perfect length for busy people who only have a minute to spare while waiting in line at the grocery store.

I am a huge puzzle enthusiast but, unlike the majority of the population, I don't like modern puzzle games. I am not entrhalled by cute sounds and graphics. I get annoyed when pop-up windows keep trying to get me to connect to a game center and earning achievements are worthless to me. These game makers do everything they can to distract and mesmerize--an ADD style game for an ADD world.
Not only are modern games too short, but they are too easy. They don't challenge me or frustrate me. And yes, I do enjoy being taken to my limits with frustration. The closer I am to the edge when I solve the puzzle, the more enjoyment I get out of it.

Anyway, here is a list of some good old-school style puzzle games that might not be well known.

1) Percepto
This is a clever puzzle game! Whatever the designers were smoking when they were making this game, pass it here!

2) Boxed In
This game is a classic! Made by two brothers, the concept is very simple, but also challenging and rewarding. The best thing about Boxed In is that if you like it, there are two sequals available to keep you entertained for a long time.

I'd be curious to know what your favorite old-school game are. Or if you like modern puzzle games better, why?

Here, here! Big puzzle fan myself!

Ever heard of PegIt Bronze! or PegIt Gold? Although small in size, is has a lot of puzzles and they get more and more challenging. You can try the free Bronze version.
PathPix is also one nice puzzler... with a great art style. I also should mention Rooms!, I like that. Simple concept in a polished design.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 05-02-2011 at 01:13 AM.