★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Tom Salvo
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 6.2 MB
  • Version: 1.3.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Welcome to ZoomVox - a 100% voxel-based, retro-styled shooter that is both simple and addictive, with fast and intense action, 4 original tracks, adjustable speed and sound effects. Collect health, fuel and explosion powerups, while shooting down as many enemy planes as possible and avoiding enemy fire!

thsalvo's comments:
Please check out my latest iOS app, ZoomVox, for 99 cents. It's a simple and fun little voxel-based shooter running at 60fps, with a cool retro look and soundtrack. There will also be a Mac OS X version coming soon - it was submitted to the app store a couple of days ago.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zoomvox/id433103153?mt=8

-Tom
05-01-2011, 12:33 AM

05-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Is the terrain always flat?

Best use of voxels is terrain, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Interesting. Needs a video though.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
05-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for checking it out!

This video is a near-final build of the game, running on a 3GS. I changed the music and made a couple last-minute tweaks after the video before submitting the app for approval:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gNB_rgtQl8

The full voxel grid is a modest 36x44x16, and it is broken apart into sections. The health/fuel gauge and scoreboard is the top 36x44x6, the actual gameplay area is 36x44x3 below it, and the terrain is in the bottom 36x44x7. The terrain isn't completely flat but it isn't high enough to affect the gameplay. There are 7 different terrain types that change as your score progresses, and they have a little randomness to them to add a little variety to the visuals.

I do have some ideas in the works for future patches, and I'd like to tweak the engine a bit so it's more flexible. Everything is built around OpenGL ES 2 with subtle use of shaders and I'm requiring 4.3 for the time being since it can only be run by devices that support OpenGL ES 2. I need to get a hold of some older devices for testing in the near future, to see if I can make an OpenGL ES1 fallback mode that still runs at 60fps

-Tom
05-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Cool video, if short -- and yet I'm still not entirely sure what's going on there. There appears to be some visual feedback for ... something. The background flashes white when something happens (smart bomb or something?), and there are some vertical venetian blind things that appear at points and I have no idea why. There appear to be pickups, one must be health, but I can't really tell what the other(s) are. I can see you're shooting the pink T-shaped ships, so that's no problem, but there doesn't appear to be any visual feedback when you hit them or they hit you.

It looks cool, but a bit confusing.

05-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Gameplay Trailer:
05-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Just for clarification, the Venetian blind effect is just for the transition between stages (which are spread further apart in the final game). The purple objects are enemy planes (purple stood out well enough against all terrain types). There are 3 types of power ups that randomly spawn: health boosts, fuel boosts, and bombs, which destroy all onscreen enemies (causing the white flash you noticed).

The video can look confusing because the gameplay is quite fast (perhaps even too fast). However, it is quite simple because it's just left and right movement, and timing. Once you start playing for a minute or two, it's easy enough to adjust to the speed and there's not really much to it. It's just about getting into the zone and moving your plane towards the power ups and away from enemy fire.

-Tom
05-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Mindfield, good point regarding the visual feedback! I will make some improvements there in my first update. When you hit enemy planes, they do flicker different colors for about 8 frames, but it's not super-noticeable, especially in the video. There isn't visual feedback when you're hit by enemy planes or projectiles (other than your life bar decreasing), so I will absolutely add some subtle visual feedback for this in version 1.1. I'm also thinking abut toning down the bomb explosions, and using a voxel-based explosion instead of the white flash.

-Tom
05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsalvo View Post
Mindfield, good point regarding the visual feedback! I will make some improvements there in my first update. When you hit enemy planes, they do flicker different colors for about 8 frames, but it's not super-noticeable, especially in the video. There isn't visual feedback when you're hit by enemy planes or projectiles (other than your life bar decreasing), so I will absolutely add some subtle visual feedback for this in version 1.1. I'm also thinking abut toning down the bomb explosions, and using a voxel-based explosion instead of the white flash.

-Tom
That would definitely spice up the visuals and make them more self-explanatory. I figured the flash was a smart bomb, but only because I noticed your score went up a few points when it went off, which suggested multiple enemies being destroyed at once. (I had to watch it a second time to catch that.) The rest though was a little difficult to pick out through all the action. Visual feedback from the point of origin would give the player an instant indication of what's going on. Likewise for pickups, like flashing the life or fuel bar when the appropriate pickup is ... er, picked up. I also couldn't tell how the smart bomb was used -- is there a button, or does it go off automatically when you pick it up? And movement is touch-based? I assume it's auto for the former, and touch for the latter, as I didn't see you press the screen to activate the bomb, and you don't appear to be tilting to move.