★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Starmine is the dynamic puzzle game that is suitable for everyone with many levels, game modes and achievements to unlock!

New to puzzle games? Multiple solutions for every puzzle and no move restrictions means you can solve the puzzles your way!

For puzzle game veterans, get ready for fast-paced puzzle action! Special blocks keep the game fresh while the deep scoring system, achievements and leaderboards will push you to your limits!

Starmine can be played for a few seconds, a few minutes or as long as you can survive! Join the Facebook community for game updates, tips and tricks!

Features:
- 120 levels
- 3 game modes
- Multi-touch controls
- Retina Display support
- Game Center Leaderboards & Achievements

System requirements:
iPhone 3G+
iPod G3+
iOS 3.2+ (4.1+ for Game Center)

Zyx's comments:
Hi everyone, this is our first game that was just released. It is inspired by a SNES puzzle game but with a lower barrier of entry while increasing the depth of the gameplay for more experienced players.

Check out the game and post your impressions here or at the game's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/starminegame.

Follow the game on facebook for updates, tricks, and tips! We will posting videos in the coming weeks for basic and advanced tutorials to help you reach the top of the leaderboards!

05-02-2011, 12:13 AM
A gameplay video would be helpful. From the screenshots, the game looks very polished, but that's about all I can tell.

05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Tetris Attack; sold. One of the best puzzle games ever.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
05-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Game Impressions

Okay, I did the recon and it's time for all the regulars to start pouring into this thread. Wake the kids, phone the neighbors; This is what every Tetris Attack fan has wanted to arrive on the app store since day one. It's the real deal, but instead of swapping pairs, you can slide to anywhere on the line (not like Chain3, which is anywhere on the board, just the row). Both Puzzle and Marathon modes are included. It's layed out nicely, because you go into what amounts to a campaign mode, in which you are taught the pro-tips and also exposed to survival gameplay in small doses. I'm not going to bother with a full review, because the game is worth 10x the asking price, assuming they scale the difficulty properly. Were I you, I would download and sync immediately, in case N deems this too similar to their IP. I hope not, of course, because this is a great game. I played it at lunch every day for a year straight and never tired of it. Way to go Zyx, you had me at hello.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
05-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
A gameplay video would be helpful. From the screenshots, the game looks very polished, but that's about all I can tell.
You are absolutely correct. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Okay, I did the recon and it's time for all the regulars to start pouring into this thread. Wake the kids, phone the neighbors; This is what every Tetris Attack fan has wanted to arrive on the app store since day one. It's the real deal, but instead of swapping pairs, you can slide to anywhere on the line (not like Chain3, which is anywhere on the board, just the row). Both Puzzle and Marathon modes are included. It's layed out nicely, because you go into what amounts to a campaign mode, in which you are taught the pro-tips and also exposed to survival gameplay in small doses. I'm not going to bother with a full review, because the game is worth 10x the asking price, assuming they scale the difficulty properly. Were I you, I would download and sync immediately, in case N deems this too similar to their IP. I hope not, of course, because this is a great game. I played it at lunch every day for a year straight and never tired of it. Way to go Zyx, you had me at hello.
Thank you for that GLOWING review! Can't wait to hear your thoughts once you've had a chance to really dig into the game's levels and features
05-02-2011, 12:08 PM
What kind of special pieces/power-ups does the game sport?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
The game is broken up into three worlds, each with its own associate special block. The Desert Block can only be cleared in a square formation (requires 4 and only 4). The Jungle Block can be cleared in any shape as long as there are 3 or more adjacent Jungle blocks. The third and final special block for this version is the '?' and is unlocked in Marathon mode once you reach Level 10.
In addition to these special blocks, the Hyper system is featured in Marathon mode. The system provides a change of pace and opportunity for those who have a hard time getting high chains to amass huge scores. How it works exactly is left to the player to discover

See the screenshots on the facebook page for examples: http://www.facebook.com/starminegame
05-03-2011, 12:11 PM
This game remindes me "boom blox" for symbian. You need to coordinate blocks with same colors. Easy controls, good sound and beatiful graphics. Unfortunately i don't have game center and can't test this function, but on 4.0.1 i can't find bugs. No one crash. Must have
05-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Game Impressions

The game is okay but I have to admit my biases.

I really hate puzzle levels in my match 3 games. I prefer my match 3 games to keep the modes separate and am a little put out by having to plod my way through many puzzle levels just to get to Marathon mode. I also wasn't a big fan on how the marathon mode really took such a long time to ramp up (this was explained to me by the dev that this is not so much as a Survival mode as an Endurance mode, so I understand that this was intentional). Lastly I found the game's experience to star system a bit confusing at first (although fine once I got the hang of things).

With that out of the way, this is a very nice polished take on Tetris Attack style of gameplay with LOTS of puzzles that start off pretty simple (I, a non puzzler could easily solve) to pretty infuriating mixed in with Survival (just keep going for a certain time limit) and Time Attack (score at least a given target score under a certain time limit) in the main game mode. I also like how your best number of moves, times, and scores are tracked for each of the game's myriad of levels and how even in the Marathon and Time Attack modes your best score is tracked as well as being tagged with a medal.

3/5 (probably more a 4/5 but my own personal biases bring it down another star)

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the review! It's always good to hear some differing opinions.

Your feedback will be taken into account for the next update.