★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Consistent Scale in Unity

05-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Consistent Scale in Unity

What is the best way to keep the scale of the models correct while importing in Unity.

I have a variety of artists working on the project. Some use 3DSmax, some Maya, and one is using mudbox. It is a bit of a pain as all the models come in drastically different sizes. I have looked this up in the Unity Forums, and solutions seem to be all over the place.

Right now, I am just having the artists place a sphere in the scene (the character) and then just scale it according to that in Unity. But that is imprecise, and a pain.

Any one come up with a genius way of doing this?
05-02-2011, 03:53 AM
I think your artists need to define the units they are working in. I think mud box defaults to meters. Maya is cm from what I remember. Other than that providing scale reference is a good idea.
05-02-2011, 12:31 PM
We import FBX models and animations into unity.

In my Maya preferences I have Meter as my default. When I export to FBX I set the File units converted to: Centimeters

In Max it should be the same. If you provide a reference file it will be even better
05-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Provide the artists with an object with a tape measure texture on it that they import. They can then scale that against the measurement system in their 3D package and place at a set position. Have a second tape measure object in Unity that will line up perfectly alongside the artists measure when the scale is correct. Change the import scale in Unity until it does.