Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Change to iTunes for promo code reviews

I started having problems a few days ago where I was unable to post reviews for games I got promo codes for. I worked with Apple to resolve this issue and they have responded that "it is no longer possible to rate or review an app if it was downloaded using a developer's promotional code to prevent comprimising of the rating system".

My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this on. It seems like a pretty significant change since many developers hand out promo codes in these forums.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 PM
iPad

Were you able to submit the review? I just used a code for an App I never had and posted the review (just to confirm this situation). Gave no error so far. It takes a while before the review shows up on apstore so will have to wait a bit before I can confirm it got approved or not.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
Were you able to submit the review? I just used a code for an App I never had and posted the review (just to confirm this situation). Gave no error so far. It takes a while before the review shows up on apstore so will have to wait a bit before I can confirm it got approved or not.
No. I got an error message saying something to the effect that I had to buy the app before I could submit a review. It was very confusing and I tried just about everything I could think before I contacted Apple for help. Another touchArcade poster related having the same issue.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 PM
iPhone 3GS

Hi slewis7

We have also had ratings and reviews entered by our user base which throughout the week of v1.0 have yet to be displayed. Our first update has just gone live on the store, we're hoping this will resolve things by allowing purchasers to rate and comment via the "Current version" tab.

But now I read the iTC quote...well I guess some apps are showing feedback quicker than others somehow.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Promotional Codes and Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
"it is no longer possible to rate or review an app if it was downloaded using a developer's promotional code to prevent comprimising of the rating system".
That's a fairly significant change. I hope it doesn't drive more developers to go the pay-you-to-download route, because that feels like it compromises the rating system even more. By the way, you listed Apple's response to you in quotes. Is that an exact quote from an e-mail reply, or are you paraphrasing?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

This seriously needs to get fixed.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:33 AM
iPad

All right, my review is up on iTunes now. So there goes your theory of apple disallowing reviews from promo codes.

Maybe you posted way too many shill-ish 5 star reviews and got banned from apple. Just guessing here.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Another TA member was saying the same thing a couple days ago. Could not review games from promo codes.

Edit: However, I just went to try to post a review for a game I received a promo code for and I could. So who knows what is going on here.

Last edited by New England Gamer; 04-30-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Old 04-30-2011, 07:23 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafalcon View Post
That's a fairly significant change. I hope it doesn't drive more developers to go the pay-you-to-download route, because that feels like it compromises the rating system even more. By the way, you listed Apple's response to you in quotes. Is that an exact quote from an e-mail reply, or are you paraphrasing?
That was the exact and relevant wording from the Apple support person.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
All right, my review is up on iTunes now. So there goes your theory of apple disallowing reviews from promo codes.

Maybe you posted way too many shill-ish 5 star reviews and got banned from apple. Just guessing here.
I hope you are right, at least about promo review restriction being limited to some folks based on their prior reviews. The reviews I have posted based on promo codes were objective and have scores of 4 and 5. If I don't like an app I get a promo for, I do not leave a review.

I also try to limit which promo codes I grab to apps I really think will interest me. Believe me, I can afford the couple bucks. Right now I am really frustrated because the last 2 games I got codes for, I really love and I want to reward the developers with my reviews.