★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: SAGA Dungeon is an epic RPG journey to escape the ever-changing labyrinth, in the deep dark dungeon of the SAGA fantasy universe.

Having found yourself trapped in a perilous dungeon, you must fight your way, level by level to the top. Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, and other fiends of every kind stand between you and precious freedom in the light of day. Slay monsters and collect treasure chests to earn gold and purchase stronger armor, weapons, potions and other items to help you escape.

Features:
-Dynamically generated levels allowing for near infinite game play!
-Many different enemy types to fight!
-Unlock new potions and weapons as you advance through the dungeon floors
-Free to play! Most items can be purchased with in-game rewards
-Increase Bag and Inventory space to carry more treasure and items
-Use torches and other light sources to see farther in the Dungeon maze
-Fight epic boss monsters, including Dragons, Mech Giants, Phoenixes, and Battle Tanks!
-Let our fully orchestrated musical score inspire the epic destruction you will unleash upon your enemies
-Inspired by the epic MMO strategy RTS game, SAGA. To learn more about SAGA, go to www.playsaga.com

Artfoundry's comments:

A decent start, but it needs more. More variety in the dungeons, more items to purchase in the store, more control options. But hey, it's free.
05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
It's just a low budget attempt at the Gun Bros pricing model (not gameplay) with expendable IAPs practically necessary for survival.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
It's just a low budget attempt at the Gun Bros pricing model (not gameplay) with expendable IAPs practically necessary for survival.
aww oh well.

05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Quote:
? Did we play the same game? All the items were purchasable with in-game money or with cash (whereas GB splits the items up into in-game only and cash only). So far I've completed the first two levels and I have yet to need cash to buy anything - I did buy some healing potions (which are good to have unless you avoid fighting everything) and a sword, but used the in-game gold to buy those.

Game Designer, Web Developer, Jack-of-all-trades
www.artfoundry.com
Gamecenter ID: Delerium
Alt TA: LCDDreams
05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
? Did we play the same game? All the items were purchasable with in-game money or with cash (whereas GB splits the items up into in-game only and cash only). So far I've completed the first two levels and I have yet to need cash to buy anything - I did buy some healing potions (which are good to have unless you avoid fighting everything) and a sword, but used the in-game gold to buy those.
Color me confused but I saw two types of currency when I tapped on the merchant in the upper right and my 145 gold pieces couldn't buy me anything whereas some special tokens were needed to buy items...are those just like coins equal to some 1,000 gold or am I still missing something.

I really do hope I was wrong as I'm a HUGE fan of roguelikes.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I downloaded. I played. I gave up.

Okay, there are a few things to like about it. The graphics are decent and the animations, such as there are, are decent and flowing. The music sounds like fairly basic orchestral stuff. Random dungeons is always a big plus and lends it an air of Roguelike.

But that's about where my praise ends. The rest of the game is either inscrutable or a mess. I'll just enumerate my annoyances here:

- The splash and menu graphics are all low res while in-game it's retina, which makes no sense.
- Movement is tapping on the edges of the screen, which is rather annoying. Put a D-pad or slide anywhere in there and it would be much better.
- No indicators to show how much you hit for, or how much you are hit for (other than your hit points going down)
- No instructions.
- Gold collection appears to be worthless as the merchant only accepts credits, which you have to purchase, and there doesn't seem to be any way to convert gold to credits.
- Items apparently are available as "levelled" in that you can choose an item's strength based on your level -- or pay extra to get items above your level. However, the arrows next to the level indicator register maybe half the time, and if you tap in the text area for the level a keybaord comes up -- in portrait mode. (the game is in landscape).
- That same portrait keyboard comes up when entering your name, which means it obscures most of the text box.
- There doesn't seem to be much to the game. Navigate maze. Open chests. Fight monsters. Lather, rinse, repeat.
- No way to leave a battle once engaged.

And that's just from 5 minutes of gameplay. Sure, it's free(mium), but even as a free game it gets tedious fast, though much of that might have as much to do with the sparse gameplay as the irritations and messiness of the UI.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
05-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Color me confused but I saw two types of currency when I tapped on the merchant in the upper right and my 145 gold pieces couldn't buy me anything whereas some special tokens were needed to buy items...are those just like coins equal to some 1,000 gold or am I still missing something.

I really do hope I was wrong as I'm a HUGE fan of roguelikes.
Yeah, the items show two types of currency, but they seem to be options, not necessities. I was able to buy the items with just the in-game gold. So you can get a lvl 2 health potion for 30 gold or 7 coins. Everything else is more expensive. Also, by changing the level of the item, the price will change too. But yeah, 145 gold won't buy anything of level 2 or higher except health. 100 gold can get you a lvl 1 torch though.

www.artfoundry.com
05-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
Yeah, the items show two types of currency, but they seem to be options, not necessities. I was able to buy the items with just the in-game gold. So you can get a lvl 2 health potion for 30 gold or 7 coins. Everything else is more expensive. Also, by changing the level of the item, the price will change too. But yeah, 145 gold won't buy anything of level 2 or higher except health. 100 gold can get you a lvl 1 torch though.
I didn't see an option to pay with gold. Only credits. How did you manage to pay with gold?

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
05-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I like it!
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
- Movement is tapping on the edges of the screen, which is rather annoying. Put a D-pad or slide anywhere in there and it would be much better.
- Gold collection appears to be worthless as the merchant only accepts credits, which you have to purchase, and there doesn't seem to be any way to convert gold to credits.
You can actually tap anywhere around your character to move - doesn't have to be the edge of the screen. And you can tap and hold to move more than one spot (though you have to tap again to change direction). But yeah, movement is not ideal.

As for purchasing, you can use gold to buy. Not sure why you weren't able to, unless you didn't have enough gold (make sure you have the appropriate level selected since higher level items cost more). I was able to buy a sword and multiple potions just from gold (the sword I couldn't afford though till after completing the second level).

www.artfoundry.com