★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Imaginary Range HD offers a new genre of entertainment: a hybrid comic and game experience.

As you read through Square Enix's latest new tale, you'll view story cutscenes between comic pages and play through a variety of game segments.
Finish the story once, and you'll unlock extra comic commentary and the ability to play the game portions separately.
The coins you collect in the comic and games can be used to unlock new entries in the app's Gallery mode.

English, French and Japanese text options available.

[Controls]
Flick right to left: Go to next page
Flick left to right: Go to previous page
Tap: Open menu
Double-tap: Switch between panel and page mode

Consult the in-app manual for other controls.

* This app works only in vertical mode.
05-04-2011, 07:02 AM
SQUARE ENIX giving something free ?? There must be something hidden in it.

05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
There must be an IAP to unlock the full game. Can anybody confirm?

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
05-04-2011, 08:13 AM
it isn't really a game, it's more like an inter-active comic.

that's what I read anyway..
05-04-2011, 07:06 PM
HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad):

Part I:

Part II:

Note:

First 32 Pages. I like it so far. Maybe Marvel or Dark Horses should take a look at it and...

Comment from Mr. Toriyama (Supervisor):

Quote:
We've completed a new product, a fusion of game and comic, just the sort of thing I dreamt of as a child.

"Imaginary Range" refers to the world beyond the realm of imagination. Experience a mysterious world where you cannot distinguish between dream and reality, all for free! And what's more, delivered to you in high definition and full color!

This application is for the grownups who've locked up their childhood dreams in a corner of their hearts.

With your mobile device in hand, read, play, and maybe tear up a bit. Please enjoy this new journey of Cid and Ciela!
05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
i've certainly locked up my childhood dreams somewhere in my heart and this game has finally provided me the key to unlock it.
05-04-2011, 11:12 PM
K, got it...its...uh, different. Interesting concept, good execution buuuut, first off, loading screens suck and there are a few-every time a 'game' starts. Second, the story so far is pretty thin....one big fight sequnce-ill have to see if it develops farther. Third, the challenge seems minimal. The 'games' are hidden item and trace a path kind of stuff but ultra simple.

To be honest this just makes me want to fire up my marvel/comixology app and read a 'real' comic.....not comic enough to be a comic and not game enough to be a game.

Ill stick with it for a bit but so far 2-3 stars tops.
05-05-2011, 03:45 AM
uhh..

this game is.. quite boring, to me. And, like the above poster, I feel that there's one too many loading screens! Each time you hit a game icon, the loading screens goes up in arms and you sit there staring at a spinning circle!

I'm only up till about page 35, so I might not have fully experienced the game. Hopefully there's other mini-games that can spice it up a little.

The comics are so-so.

GameCenter / plus+ / Crystal ID: MeteorFlare
OpenFeint: MeteorFlye
05-05-2011, 04:00 AM
I played a few rounds and got bored already. Sub par story that makes no sense and repeated mini games make this appropriately priced as a free game indeed.
05-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Ha! Free AND universal! Gameplay? Close to non existent.