★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Assault Commander Ultimate is a traditional turn-based strategy game played on a hexagonal map.

This is a great Assault Commander collection pack, it includes maps from the following editions:

Assault Commander (original) 8+1 maps
Assault Commander Advance 8+1 maps
Assault Commander Bravo 8+1 maps

Assault Commander Ultimate was featured as New & Noteworthy app in Board, Strategy categories.

Features:
Universal app: works on iPhone/iPod touch + on iPad device families.
24 single player missions in 3 campaigns with days of gameplay.
8 hotseat maps to play with a friend on the same device or to play against the computer.
Network games through Game Center.
20 unit types including infantry, tanks, artillery, ships and other units of modern warfare.
8 building types including factories and resource collectors.
Advanced AI.
No ads.
Three difficulty levels for single player maps.
Realistic sounds and great soundtracks.
Tactical map by pinch and zoom on the screen.
Game Center leaderboards.
Works in all device orientations.
Save and load games from Main Menu, autosave.

Some user comments from previous editions of Assault Commander series:

Rmattbill: "I really can't recommend this game strongly enough. It's enormously entertaining."
Jayjayjayjaynay: "Great game. Played through whole thing twice, and still entertained."
PatK.: "Overall, I think this is a very impressive strategy game for the iPod touch."
rooterscooter: "If you like turn based hex strategy games, I highly recommend this game."

Thanks for your continuous support and reviews.
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/vtdevapps
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/vtdevapps
05-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for posting. Love to see it reviewed.

05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdevapps View Post
Thanks for posting. Love to see it reviewed.
Thanks for combining your last 3 campaigns/app into this one (and making it Universal as well). Before I couldn't decide which campaign to buy, but this app made it an instant purchase for me.

I read on your blog that your working on Assault Commander 2, what new features will be included in that one?
05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus70 View Post
Thanks for combining your last 3 campaigns/app into this one (and making it Universal as well). Before I couldn't decide which campaign to buy, but this app made it an instant purchase for me.

I read on your blog that your working on Assault Commander 2, what new features will be included in that one?
Yes, I think Ultimate is better for players and it's easier to handle different editions in one package for us.
AC2 is delayed, our current project is to bring Assault Commander Ultimate to the Mac App Store.
What would I like to see in AC2? At least 2 sides with different armies, multiplayer through Game Center, improved graphics etc. We love developing the game, I think it only depends on our freetime & budget comes from sells.
Finally, I would like to ask what is your impression on the game? It's always good to hear about players. How can we make the game better?
05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Yes, I think Ultimate is better for players and it's easier to handle different editions in one package for us.
AC2 is delayed, our current project is to bring Assault Commander Ultimate to the Mac App Store.
What would I like to see in AC2? At least 2 sides with different armies, multiplayer through Game Center, improved graphics etc. We love developing the game, I think it only depends on our freetime & budget comes from sells.
Finally, I would like to ask what is your impression on the game? It's always good to hear about players. How can we make the game better?
I can post some intital impressions, as I've only played 3-4 hours so far. It's a solid strategy game for iOS devices. I really like the nicely detailed maps and units. Its easy to identity all of the units types quickly and move my squad about the battlefield with ease with the aid of the zoom function. And, I also like the having the 3 difficulty settings available.

One thing that seems odd in the battles, is the amount of damage units deliver. If I'm attacking with a medium tank against light infantry and only remove 1 out of 10 of its health, it seems like the tanks are not worth 3 times the cost.

In terms of making the game better, I can think of a few things. First off, the animation on moving units doesn't look smooth (its like they need extra frames of animation or something). Secondly, an undo button would be nice, and when you’re going to attack it would be helpful to see the all of the attack/defense statistics to help you decide if you want to attack. Thirdly, balancing of the some of the units attack damage, as I've noted in the previous paragraph.

Thanks again for making this for iOS devices, I'm happy with my purchase.

Last edited by Marcus70; 05-10-2011 at 11:44 AM.
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks for posting your opinion.
1. Okay, we will refine moving animation in next releases.
2. Personally I don't want an undo option, in my view it's part of thinking to estimate damages before attacking enemies.
3. I think medium tank worth its price. It's faster than infantry and it has great firepower 28 compared to 12. Armor of medium tank is two times better. I had played all campaigns in hard difficulty during tests and I found units are well-balanced. Don't say it's only 1 point damage per turn, see it in general: you cannot win only with the infantry, you will need units with better properties on advanced levels.
05-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Game Impressions

Assault Commander Ultimate
Mission 01 - user generated in-game video by Sanuku:

part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1l0ckkBNY8

part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FaRxAF4TR8
05-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer:

Part I:

Part II:

Note:

vtdevapps - You Guys beat me on my own Video. Nice Work

First at all i am still working on a Preview/Review about this Game since, let be Honest, i am a Child of the 80/90`s and grow up with Games like Nectaris/Battle Isle/... and similar Games and have sometimes spent Days playing those Games just to get the best Strategy out of them...

During the last few Days i have spent countless Times playing the Missions over and over on my iPad 2 and forgot during that Time that i should create a HD Gameplay Trailer about it since i was asked by many User if i can do it because most of them don`t know if VTDev Informatics LLC can handle the Expectations many of us had when we heard that those Guys are working on something Epic.

Mission Accomplished

After 40 Hours of Gameplay i can tell you that i am pretty sure that VTDev Informatics LLC will be always be a Insiders' tip and that you can buy their Apps without even a second Thought if there is a Reason why you shouldn`t do so.

The Assault Commander Ultimate App has so much Gameplay to offer that i am still Angry at myself why i haven`t give it a try earlier and have bought instead all those others 99 Cent Wanabe-turn-based tactics Games which were a Waste of Time & Money.

Maybe i was unsure because of the Graphic-Engine those Guys are using, maybe i was unsure because of the High Price Tag it had a long Time till it went on a Sale.

It doesn`t matter anymore, i have learned my Lesson and pray that someone give VTDev Informatics LLC the Money so they could buy a License for a iDevice Developer Kit from Unity or for Epic`s UDK since if the Team behind VTDev Informatics LLC pimp this Game with a sweat 3D Engine, tweak the K.I and add a nice Story to it, we could see the next Final Fantasy Tactics Million Seller even before Square finally give us what we Turn-Based Tactics Nerds are waiting for since Apple did invite the iDevices...

I`ll add the following Days a Recording from the iPad/iPad 2 so you can compare it to the iPhone One so stay Tuned.

Sanuku

Last edited by Sanuku; 06-02-2011 at 01:28 PM.
05-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Thanks, amazing review and video! Next time you should post as "Game Impression" to add it to the summary page of the game.
05-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Next time you should post as "Game Impression" to add it to the summary page of the game.
Changed it to Game Impression.

Sanuku