★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apalon and other (Good?) Marketing Companies

05-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Apalon and other (Good?) Marketing Companies

Hi,

I'm working on my second game for the App store. The first game fell pretty flat. I think for one, it was too difficult to pickup the gameplay. But secondly, it needed a better marketing plan. I promoted the game myself giving out promo codes to review sites and on Twitter.

For my new app, I am considering paying a professional service to market for me. I've looked at Apalon. http://www.apalon.com/iphone_marketing.html

If anyone has paid for their marketing services, can you please let me know if it was a positive experience and if your money was well spent. (Please don't comment on Apalon unless you have specifically used them).

Or, if you have used any other paid service that was worth the money, please let me know who they are.

Please don't comment things that can't be verified, like "well I heard from this one guy that..." But if you have any direct experience with Apalon or another marketing service, I am very interested to know how it went. Thanks in advance.
05-06-2011, 01:21 AM

05-06-2011, 03:29 AM
I remember reading that awhile ago. $4500 for 50 user reviews on iTunes is definitely NOT a good bargain...

Ezmobo Games!
Check out our dev blog for sneak peaks at our upcoming titles.
05-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Looks like they have had an app in Top-15 paid for quite a while now - not exactly an easy thing to achieve without some marketing skills. Not sure if this is a result of same service they offer, just my $0.02.
05-06-2011, 10:50 AM
*cough scammer *cough* stay away.. *cough*
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
05-06-2011, 06:18 PM
@ Hercule - Thank you for the link. It was quite helpful.

@Hodapp - Thank you for the link as well. I actually read through it before, but there is some useful info in there.

If anyone else has any feedback, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Last edited by Smileypop; 05-06-2011 at 06:25 PM.
05-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Let me give you some advice...hiring a marketing firm won't guarantee you anything regardless of whether they're "real" consultants or low cost. Ideally, you want to educate yourself with some basic marketing principles prior to engaging a marketing firm. Without this, you run the risk of being taken advantage of by any third-party marketing firm.

I've dealt with clients before in a variety of industries. One of the biggest problems I come across is an uneducated client because the expectations are out of whack with reality. If you don't have any idea or initial thinking on how you want to position the game or even develop some talking points around your app, the agency will only be able to do so much. Don't get me wrong, they can do this, but it will be helpful for all if you have a good idea before going into this exercise.

While you're talking about marketing an app, you should really get an objective opinion about your game. Honestly, if your game is mediocre or below average, hiring an agency won't help your cause. Don't know? If you do decide to hire an outside firm, ask them to give you a realistic opinion of your game. To protect yourself, you may want to consider tying compensation to results. That protects you being scammed by unscrupulous marketing firms or consultants who tell you that your game is great when it really isn't.

TriplePoint and SparkPR are good agencies which I know well since they're based here in SF. But, I will say that they are more effective when promoting a business vs. a standalone app. In other words, if you are building a business around your game where you plan to develop other games/apps, have a vision, etc, then hire an agency. If this is your first (and/or only) game/app, you may want to conserve resources and do your own marketing. This goes back to my point about educating yourself on marketing basics and strategy.

Last edited by Big Albie; 05-07-2011 at 04:05 AM.