★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: OK, what do you want....

11-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
OK, what do you want....

So I'm undecided on what to go for for my next app store game. I want to do something more involved and I have a number of ideas. So I'm going to talk genres here to get a feel for what you gamers would like to see. Here are rough genres that cover the ideas I have:

1. Economic - here we're talking trading (no, for the love of god, definitely not stocks, nowhere close to that)
2. Society - here we're talking nation building
3. Platformer - well, I don't need to explain this one
4. Adventure - here we're talking about discovery, exploring etc.

I know they're rough, but I don't want to give too much away on my ideas for them. All of them (especially 1, 2 and 4) would be huge undertakings and, in order to do them properly, I would most likely be looking to work with others and so it's also likely that I'll push out some simpler games as well during the development time just to keep my hand in, as it were.

So which of those genres would you like to see? I'm not looking to copy any other games and want to bring something new to the table and I think I've got strong ideas on all them to do that. But, it's difficult to know which way to jump when you have lots of ideas so I thought I'd solicit some feedback In fact, it's just a big bloody risk whatever way I look at it but, if I'm going to put the effort into something, I may as well do something grand and try to make an impact that way!

Of course, I reserve the right not to do any of them if I decide that it's just too risky, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
11-04-2008, 05:57 AM
I have mentioned this idea on this forum before, and would love to see it happen.
I REALLY want a sniper game done properly. For example, one level sees your team up against terrorists in a village. You, as the sniper, pick your spot from a selection of hills that surround the village, then wait. As your team attacks, you pick off the terrorists with your sniper rifle. Windage and distance must be taken into account.
Control would be very simple- tilt to move your crosshair, tap the screen to fire, press a button to move to a different spot.

11-04-2008, 05:57 AM
What about FPS?

What about FPS?

I'm wondering why you guys not developing any new FPS for the iPhone?

Any real reason?

Just curious.

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
11-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by along123 View Post
What about FPS?

Any real reason?

Just curious.
My sniper idea is kind of a fps, only you pick your spot then shoot, then move to another spot, then shoot etc, rather than an all out run and gun. I think a sniper approach to the controls would work better for the iPhone/Touch interface.
11-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Thanks wastedyuthe and along123. On the FPS thing, this isn't something I'd want to do - I'm not into those types of games and don't play them a whole lot (OK I went through a Halo phase, but it was brief) so I really don't think that that's a genre I could really do justice to if I'm honest. It's pointless me developing a genre that isn't something I'm interested in - I don't think that would work well for me or for the gamer (I'd end up looking like a laughable idiot who didn't understand that genre!)

11-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Quote:
What about FPS?

Any real reason?

Just curious.
Because making a GOOD modern FPS is hard work, and not a one-man job. Not to mention that I don't think anyone has come up with an easy FPS control-scheme that works with touch and accelerometer well. The reports I have heard say movement with the Accelerometer is tough to control. Touch screen controls for any modern FPS overlay the entire screen, meaning your fingers block the action occasionally.

There may actually be a few in development (ID software is working on something now for example). Someone is taking the old Quake 1 source and porting it to the iPhone. I'd expect the same to happen with Doom 1.

Just have patience. You'll see some eventually, but the playability may be awful
11-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
Because making a GOOD modern FPS is hard work, and not a one-man job. Not to mention that I don't think anyone has come up with an easy FPS control-scheme that works with touch and accelerometer well. The reports I have heard say movement with the Accelerometer is tough to control. Touch screen controls for any modern FPS overlay the entire screen, meaning your fingers block the action occasionally.

There may actually be a few in development (ID software is working on something now for example). Someone is taking the old Quake 1 source and porting it to the iPhone. I'd expect the same to happen with Doom 1.

Just have patience. You'll see some eventually, but the playability may be awful
ha ha. Well, I'm waiting for those ported FPS too. I want to try it out for myself if it's really good playing a FPS kind of game on your iPhone. But, it just seems cool to me to go to a mall with wifi and you can cooly take out your iPhone and start shooting an FPS multiplayer ahaha. I worry bout the battery though. LoL. But, hey. I understand if you're saying you're not interested in creating an FPS because you're not interested in those kind of games.

I'm just wondering where the other developers that's interested in them?

Where's the big guns creator?

It's taking too slow man. LoL.

Opps sorry for hijacking your thread. LoL.

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
11-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Opps sorry for hijacking your thread. LoL.
hehe, no worries at all. I'm not sure why there aren't any FPS on the app store really, although I suspect that control issues might be a big reason for it. It's not obvious how you'd make it easy to control - I've always thought that FPS fans demand accuracy and speed on control and that's difficult on a device that doesn't have any physical buttons. It makes other genres difficult as well.

11-04-2008, 06:33 AM
I'd vote for 2. Society or 3. Platformer.

But it depends on how you look at updates: are they meant for bugfixes, or also for adding levels/features?
Because with platformers, people are playing towards finishing the included levels, and then they're done. So if you don't plan on releasing new levels, people may put the game away after finishing it. While with a society/nation building game, people may replay the game more often to try different strategies. In this case there may be online things to explore, like comparing results or even working together with - or against - other players. These would ensure longer commitment to your game by the players.

What I'm trying to say may be better explained with an example. At this moment, I'm not sure wether to get Trism or Galcon. Both of these are more about strategy, and not like Toy Bot Diary, Enigmo or even Super Monkey Ball, which can be finished. (And out of those three I did NOT get TBD because it seems rather short, but I did get SMB and Enigmo because SMB has lots of levels and Enigmo even has online level packs)
At this moment I'm working on finishing SMB, Enigmo and Subway Shuffle but once I've finished those, it's games with replay value that I'd return to, and those probably have more value in the long run.

Stefan
11-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
I'd vote for 2. Society or 3. Platformer.
Thanks for the opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
But it depends on how you look at updates: are they meant for bugfixes, or also for adding levels/features?
Because with platformers, people are playing towards finishing the included levels, and might then put it down. So if you don't plan on releasing new levels, people may put the game away after finishing it. While with a society/nation building game, people may replay the game more often to try different strategies. In this case there may be online things to explore, like comparing results or even working together with - or against - other players.
This is a very difficult question to answer without knowing how well the game has sold. If it sells poorly, it makes very little business sense to add new content to it (presuming that you didn't release it half finished, which is not something I'd do). If it sells well, then there is a stronger business case for updating with content. But I think this also depends, especially for something that has a set number of levels (like a platformer, for instance), on the amount of content that's in the game from the get-go. I agree that TBD does seem short and falls below what I'd personally expect from a platformer.

Now the online thing opens up a huge can of worms and leads to increasing the complexity of development, and the development time, considerably. That's not to say that I haven't thought about these ideas but once you start "onlining" your games, you're really upping the development effort, and to do that well isn't child's play at all (not that developing is, full stop.) I'm not just talking about high score boards etc., but doing some much more involved with online.