★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Idea.

11-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Idea.

Hello touchArcade people,

I was thinking:
wouldn't it be nice if you could sell the applications you don't like or don't use anymore to other users for a cheaper price?

I was thinking about something like a "second hand" service.
I don't really know how to make it work, but I'm just tired of some of my apps or regret that I bought, so I'd like to sell them

What you think?
Stupid idea?
11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Is it possible to authorize someone to use that program? I know you can do it for music... I don't think this will fly with Apple though!

11-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeh,
I think Apple wouldn't like it.
But if they invent something to gain some extra money with this system, I'm sure it could be possible.
11-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Just thinking about how this would look.

* We would be able to put our games in some kind of second hand app store. When you hold your finger on an app it starts to wiggle and displays the X icon in the top left, and a $ icon in the top right, so you can sell it.
* The game in the second hand store is sold for a set percentage of the original price. (Let's say: 70% of the current price of the game in the 'real' app store.)
* Apple would take a percentage, let's say that from the 70%, Apple takes money in a 3:4 ratio (so 30% for Apple, 40% remains). Would this 40% go to the person who sells the game? Or should 3/4 (30% of the full original price) go to the person who sells the game and 1/4 (10% of the full original price) to the developer?
* Of course, everyone would like to purchase the game from the second hand store, because the game is not of less quality compared to the original, first hand game. With many second hand articles, you can't expext an "as good as new" quality, but when it comes to games, the game you get in the second hand store is exactly the same as in the first hand store.

Then my conclusion would be that:
* For consumers, it would seem like nice because they can get the games for less money.
* Apple can just take whatever share they want. If they take 30% of every purchase (let's say 30 cents from a game that costs one dollar), they can just increase their share so that they will still get 30 cents from the second-hand purchase. It would just be an extra step for them to design and maintain this second-hand-store.
* The developer makes less money, because new customers don't purchase the game from the developer, but from people selling it after getting bored by it.

And this last point could cause developers to leave the iPhone / iPod Touch market or charge more for their apps to compensate for their losses.

So if the events would be like I portrayed them above, we don't gain from it in the long run.
But I like the creative thinking!

Stefan

Last edited by spmwinkel; 11-04-2008 at 08:50 AM.
11-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Apple opening a second-hand App Store doesn't make any sense at all. That's total absurd nonsense. What should justify the lower price? Things you buy at a second-hand shop are cheaper because they have been used before.
Seriously that's cleary the dumbest thing I've read in a while.
11-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korb View Post
Apple opening a second-hand App Store doesn't make any sense at all. That's total absurd nonsense. What should justify the lower price? Things you buy at a second-hand shop are cheaper because they have been used before.
Seriously that's cleary the dumbest thing I've read in a while.
Yes, it's a bit dumb.

But...what about an app exchange service?
0.99$ to exchange your app with another person's app.

For example I want to exchange SuperMonkeyBall with your BrainChallenge.
You are according to me and both of us will pay 0.99 to (who? developers and Apple? Ok).

Wouldn't it be nice?
11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
but how would they know if someone has completely deleted the app from their computers or memory sticks?
11-04-2008, 12:17 PM
the would be deauthorized on your account
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Yes. This is a stupid idea...
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
Yes. This is a stupid idea...
Heh... Agreed