★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Battleheart-like but with more depth

05-10-2011, 04:08 AM
Battleheart-like but with more depth

Hi to all,

I am looking for a RPG, a kind of Battleheart-like but with a bit more depth.
A kind of final fantasy tactics would be ideal.
Is there anything like that on the iPad?

Thanks!
05-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillumultipass View Post
Hi to all,

I am looking for a RPG, a kind of Battleheart-like but with a bit more depth.
A kind of final fantasy tactics would be ideal.
Is there anything like that on the iPad?

Thanks!

Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL is coming soon. Meanwhile, try Final Fantasy III.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

05-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Ah thanks, good to know!

Regarding Final Fantasy, I don't think I will like it: I am not looking for an RPG with lots of talk, cutscenes...what I like is mainly the squad aspect of battleheart as well as the levelling up/equipment stuff.
To sum up: I like fighting, getting XPs and finding new items, then fighting again and so on...that's why I alluded more to FF tactics than to the straight FF.
05-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Final Fantasy 1 and 2 have very little story (the first one even less than the second) and are essentially squad based. FF1 is fairly barebones (but you're still looking at 25+ hours for completion) and FF2 is the only FF installment that uses a "learn by doing" skill system (pretty much like the Elder Scroll games and Ultima Online did). The latter wasn't all that popular when it first came out, but I always quite enjoyed it on the systems I played it on (most recently on the PSP, before I picked up an iPad).

FF3 has a bit more story, but for the most part it's closer to FF1 than to the later games in the series. Starting with FF4, story became a stronger focus. The iPad version of FF3 is based on the Nintendo DS version, which was completely re-done and features pretty good graphics. You'll be constantly fighting with relatively few and insignificant story elements. It doesn't have more story than FF:Tactics (any of them) and is really quite playable with some remarkable fights. It has random battles, so there is never a shortage of action and since you can choose and build your characters (it's relatively open for a FF title) as you desire, there is plenty of space for customization.

It's relatively expensive by iPad standards, but just for comparison: I had bought the DS release for 45 Euro when it came out, and I still consider it one of the most enjoyable, long-lasting DS games I played (only really trumped by FF4, which took me nearly 100 hours to complete, with a final dungeon that was so frustrating and challenging that it made the victory at the end so much sweeter!

Battleheart is quite unique, and it makes such good use of the hardware. The closest game to it, I think, probably really is FF3, but it's not "close" as in "the same", more as in "if you like one, you'll like the other", provided that you enjoy both turn based and real-time combat.
05-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Ah thanks, good to know!

Regarding Final Fantasy, I don't think I will like it: I am not looking for an RPG with lots of talk, cutscenes...what I like is mainly the squad aspect of battleheart as well as the levelling up/equipment stuff.
To sum up: I like fighting, getting XPs and finding new items, then fighting again and so on...that's why I alluded more to FF tactics than to the straight FF.
Try Pocket Legends
05-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Final Fantasy 1 and 2 have very little story (the first one even less than the second) and are essentially squad based. FF1 is fairly barebones (but you're still looking at 25+ hours for completion) and FF2 is the only FF installment that uses a "learn by doing" skill system (pretty much like the Elder Scroll games and Ultima Online did). The latter wasn't all that popular when it first came out, but I always quite enjoyed it on the systems I played it on (most recently on the PSP, before I picked up an iPad).

FF3 has a bit more story, but for the most part it's closer to FF1 than to the later games in the series. Starting with FF4, story became a stronger focus. The iPad version of FF3 is based on the Nintendo DS version, which was completely re-done and features pretty good graphics. You'll be constantly fighting with relatively few and insignificant story elements. It doesn't have more story than FF:Tactics (any of them) and is really quite playable with some remarkable fights. It has random battles, so there is never a shortage of action and since you can choose and build your characters (it's relatively open for a FF title) as you desire, there is plenty of space for customization.

It's relatively expensive by iPad standards, but just for comparison: I had bought the DS release for 45 Euro when it came out, and I still consider it one of the most enjoyable, long-lasting DS games I played (only really trumped by FF4, which took me nearly 100 hours to complete, with a final dungeon that was so frustrating and challenging that it made the victory at the end so much sweeter!

Battleheart is quite unique, and it makes such good use of the hardware. The closest game to it, I think, probably really is FF3, but it's not "close" as in "the same", more as in "if you like one, you'll like the other", provided that you enjoy both turn based and real-time combat.
Thanks for this very long and detailed answer! Indeed, it might look like FF3 might appeal to me. However, since it also seems that FF tactics is coming soon and will probably cost 15 USD as well, I might wait a little bit to see how it is and choose between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsigns View Post
Try Pocket Legends
Well, I don't want a MMORPG as I don't want to be able to use it only when I have a Wi-fi access.
05-11-2011, 02:30 AM
pixel fighters?

http://www.planetminecraft.com/serve...creative-more/
Check out this sweet minecraft server with factions, survival, creative, 5 types of minigames (including parkour with 5 different courses) as well as skyblock and skygrid worlds!
Join with the address: mc.eternalempire.co.uk
05-11-2011, 04:02 AM
How about this while waiting for Final Fantasy Tactics?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
05-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Quote:
since it also seems that FF tactics is coming soon and will probably cost 15 USD as well, I might wait a little bit to see how it is and choose between the two.
I'm curious how it'll turn out, too. I've been a pretty big fan of the PS1-version of FF:Tactics and even modded my PSP for the sole purpose of being able to play it on the go. (Before a tweaked version was released on 2007'ish.) The GBA and DS spin-offs (FFT:A and FFT:A2) weren't half bad, and I liked the graphics of the DS one, but they just never really captured the essence of what the original so addictive and playable. But anyway, yes, the iDevices version is something I won't hesitate to buy as soon as it hits the appstore.
05-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Battle for Wesnoth

Check: Battle for Wesnoth

http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/battle-for-wesnoth/id340691963?mt=8