★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: This is an arcade-style space shooter that puts you in charge of a space fleet, tasked with saving Earth from the unforgiving enemy Chromanoid ships.

Mix and match colors to destroy relentless waves of Chromanoid invaders before they reach your space station -- the last of Earth's defenses.

Choose from 5 exciting game modes:

Story Mode You're the last line of defense against the Chromanoids; your success affects the outcome.

Armada Mode Be challenged with more and faster attackers.

Ultradrive Mode The attacking ships speed up with each new wave, and your accuracy will affect the speed of your color missiles.

Depleted Mode Blast power is diminished as you hit the enemies, but gain bonus points for targeting the ships with smaller and smaller shots.

Red-Shift Mode Blast away! Just shoot the enemies down, without having to change colors.

Game Center support with leaderboards for each game mode and local high scores enabling you to become Earth's hero and show off your high scores.

Use special power ups such as the Nuke and Instakill Blitz Bombs to fend off and survive wave after wave of attacks and pick them up during play to help you on your mission.

4/5 A definite battery drainer and well worth the price
148apps

...this game is rather awesome.
Nine Over Ten

4.5/5 Fun, addictive gameplay...
iPhoneGamerUK

Ensign Cyan reporting for duty Sir! Sensors detect shielded Chromanoids coming our way!

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Lite: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chromanoids-free/id433532212?mt=8
05-12-2011, 02:29 AM
Here's the trailer for anyone interested:

Youtube link | Pop Up

05-12-2011, 03:21 AM
I bought this game, BE WARNED, nowhere in the description does it say you have to buy IAP if you want more than 3 continues in story mode... Also there is IAP for power ups.. Which is really annoying as the game acts like freemium but is a paid for app, and if u hit a power up mid-game and don't have any left, the game stops and sends you to a buy screen... This is a shocker!!!!!

Also, the game isn't that good anyway, it's basically missile command with elements of wispin's colour changing to kill enemies of various colours. It got boring fairly quickly

Also no achievements in gamecenter, only leaderboards

To be honest, this is one to avoid... Because although it only costs 59p, if you want to progress far in story mode it WILL cost you more

Basically, the dev didn't go out to make a fun game, he went out to make a game that can make money as many ways as possible. I guess the reason he didn't make the game free is that if it was free, everyone would download it, try it, then realise it's pretty dull and not buy any iap's... At least he is making 59p from me.. Wish I could get a refund...... He should take a leaf out of 'one man left' and 'chaotic box' on how to make a game fun

Best Games: Tilt to Live, Mini Motor Racing, Death Rally, NBA Jam, Spirit, Silverfish, Flipship, Wispin, Space Tripper, Super Crossfire, Red Nova, Vertex Blaster, Modern Combat 2, Hard Lines, Sentinel 3, Mad Wheels .......Follow me on Twitter @unclelimey

Last edited by UncleLimey; 05-12-2011 at 03:28 AM.
05-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Thanks for that Uncle Limey...it's always unfortunate when someone TOFTT and it doesn't pay off :/ I was just about to buy this as I love Bunny the Zombie Slayer...but that "Buy" in the video looked fishy. I seriously hope they don't implement anything like this in all their games.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
05-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Thanks, Limey! Looks like a little scam, huh?
05-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I wouldn't say scam... More like, anyone thinking 59p is a bargain, there are more costs involved to get the most out of this pretty boring game

I have no problem with iap for some power ups, even if it does stop the game midway to try and entice you, what I have a problem with is that u only have 3 continues before your in-game credit runs out.. To get more credit you have to pay cash if you want to continue where you left off, and the game is pretty tough, so completing story mode with only 3 continues might be a tough ask... Meaning you will more than likely have to spend more than 59p to finish the story...

Which goes completely against the 'in-app purchase' report that hit the main news page of toucharcade yesterday

Best Games: Tilt to Live, Mini Motor Racing, Death Rally, NBA Jam, Spirit, Silverfish, Flipship, Wispin, Space Tripper, Super Crossfire, Red Nova, Vertex Blaster, Modern Combat 2, Hard Lines, Sentinel 3, Mad Wheels .......Follow me on Twitter @unclelimey

Last edited by UncleLimey; 05-12-2011 at 06:38 AM.
05-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleLimey View Post
I bought this game, BE WARNED, nowhere in the description does it say you have to buy IAP if you want more than 3 continues in story mode... Also there is IAP for power ups.. Which is really annoying as the game acts like freemium but is a paid for app, and if u hit a power up mid-game and don't have any left, the game stops and sends you to a buy screen... This is a shocker!!!!!

Also, the game isn't that good anyway, it's basically missile command with elements of wispin's colour changing to kill enemies of various colours. It got boring fairly quickly

Also no achievements in gamecenter, only leaderboards

To be honest, this is one to avoid... Because although it only costs 59p, if you want to progress far in story mode it WILL cost you more

Basically, the dev didn't go out to make a fun game, he went out to make a game that can make money as many ways as possible. I guess the reason he didn't make the game free is that if it was free, everyone would download it, try it, then realise it's pretty dull and not buy any iap's... At least he is making 59p from me.. Wish I could get a refund...... He should take a leaf out of 'one man left' and 'chaotic box' on how to make a game fun
Yes, this was a gigantic waste of 99 cents. Glad I only paid 99 cents for it. Game is awful and the structuring of the IAP is terrible. IAP is nothing that I ever complain about but they're sneaky about how it works. Even if you buy the 99 cent game, if you use up your credits in story mode...you have to purchase more. I really don't like how unclear this is made in the description of the game. I'm all for IAP but be up front about it
05-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Yeah, I will grant the game is a bit IAP happy but, technically, they weren't lying in the difference between the free and full versions even if the differences seem pretty insignificant.

Free Version: 75 credits to spend either buying plays (25), buying continues (25), or power-ups (depends on what you get). On top of that you have banner ads (yeah!).

Full Version: 75 credits but the basic plays (not continues) are now free and you lose the banner ads...but everything else is just like the demo version.

I hate expendable IAP based games but, call me a freaky purist, I also hate the idea of continues since they mean your score is just what you bought.

I also have to give them some credit on their currency. If $1 gets you 1,000 credits and it only costs 25 credits a continue, it is one of the best deals out there for number of uses of from a $1 IAP

So while a bit IAP happy to be sure, I think it goes without saying you now know what you're stepping into and that you'd be a FOOL to buy any IAPs in the free version (if you're willing to give them $1, at least get the full version so you don't have to then spend another $1 JUST TO PLAY the stupid thing more than 3 times).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-12-2011, 02:29 PM
@UncleLimey - Thanks for the heads up. Maybe they should team up with the Castle Defense HD guys to create a product that is solely IAPs and no game whatsoever!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
05-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your comments about Chromanoids!

I work at Hothead, the developers that created the game and we are really interested in understanding what people think about our games as this feedback can hopefully help us create the best gaming experiences.

We are very new to iOS as we come from a console background so we getting to grips with design, gameplay mechanics, demos, free versions, IAP...pretty much everything for this format

Honestly we appreciate your comments and will feed them back into our team, whilst checking back to this forum for more of your insights and input.

Here is a thread about another of our games due in the coming weeks http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=93247 and we would love to know what you think? OB