★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Alien Zombie Death
In a Galaxy far far away...
a Spaceman dies... horribly. Take control of said fateful space man as he battles to his end against the dreaded Alien Zombies! Using a standard laser gun and a few pickups along the way, make sure you take at as many of those Alien Zombie suckers before they take you down. Its that simple. Its Alien Zombie Death.

A slice of death, with your cup of tea

For those moments when you have a spare 10 minutes and are overcome with the urge to be overwhelmed by nasty Alien Zombies, this is the game for you. It's simple. The theatre unfolds on a random lump of space scaffolding eg. A bunch of platforms. The Alien Zombies come in from everywhere thick and fast. Retro platform shoot-em-up madness ensues.

Alien Zombie Menu

Of course, being Alien Zombies, they could look like any old mad thing... and they do! Green slimy fiends. Bullet Burping Blobbos. Flying bats. Demons. Electric do-das. Battle them with your trusted laser pop-gun and some weapons pick ups along the way for extra carnage.

How long can you hold off the hordes?

*** FEATURES ***

- Shoot-em-up platformer
- Lots of lovely Alien Zombies
- Top of the range graphics and sfx
- Special power-ups
- Earn medals to unlock new levels
- More levels coming soon
- Replay levels to beat your score
- Game Center and OpenFeint enabled

strivemind's comments:
Nvm, game is actually out already.

The screenshots look really blurry... and I have no idea what the controls are like based on them or the video.
04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Game Impressions

Yowza!

This is pure retro silliness chock-a-block full various aliens, power-ups, and intense insanity!

It's a retro themed side scrolling platform shooter! Each of the game's 14 levels are single stage survival arenas where you're tasked with holding out as long as you can. You get three lives (at least to start with, you could earn more) and, if I understand it right, the more of a certain type of alien you blast the higher its value becomes (or maybe all aliens have their values multiplied over time, it wasn't clear from the one level I played). While there is no real "jumping" ala a standard platformer, but I would still call it a platformer as each arena is essentially a cleverly arranged collection of single level hallways stacked on top of each other which your character can somehow freely travel up and down at any point along the hallways. Baddies coming on too strong on your current level? Just jump up one and hope they don't immediately follow you up (some aliens seem to transverse the levels easier than others).

The unlocking mechanism to gain access to the other stages (or planets in this case) is based on total medals earned. Each planet has its own 8 achievements, based on stuff like threshold scores and number of aliens killed in a game. So if you click on any of the locked planets you'll be told how many further medals from earlier planets you still must earn before you can gain access to it.

Graphics are looking nice on my iPad. The text seems pretty sharp while the protagonist and baddies also look well done but I think blurred a touch (I'm assuming it is some sort of intentional artistic thingy). The sounds are pure pleasant retro-goodness (neat laser sounds with a satisfying thud for each baddy taken out) with appropriately retro tunage in the background.

5/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

04-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Game Impressions

Me again!

I also love the weird touches like moving spots of electrified floor (you can't destroy these, you just need to avoid stepping on them). Also there are the indestructible satellites that will freely float through the arena which pose as annoying obstacles that will block your fire.

Also as these levels, even on the iPad, tend to be bigger than you screen, the game will provide you with handy little icons long the side of the current view to let you know of baddies or power-ups nearby but off screen.

My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 04-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.
04-29-2011, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=Fimb, does the game play OK without buttons?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. It's perfectly fine -- actually I git better results on the iphone than on the clunky psp. I say buy it.
04-29-2011, 06:34 AM
How exactly do the controls work?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
04-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
How exactly do the controls work?
Real straight forward with the player's left thumb controlling the left & right while the right thumb controls the up & down movement.

Although...I think I'd really like an "all-in-1" option, something akin to a 8 direction d-pad that the user could configure as right or left handed. I ask for this as there are times, in the heat of battle I can't recall which side is controlling which type of movement and then end up slipping off the controllers. An all in 1 would make this kind of mess up much less likely I think.

The potential downside of my idea, however, would mean your other hand would have nothing to do.

My iTunes Reviews
04-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Real straight forward with the player's left thumb controlling the left & right while the right thumb controls the up & down movement.

Although...I think I'd really like an "all-in-1" option, something akin to a 8 direction d-pad that the user could configure as right or left handed. I ask for this as there are times, in the heat of battle I can't recall which side is controlling which type of movement and then end up slipping off the controllers. An all in 1 would make this kind of mess up much less likely I think.

The potential downside of my idea, however, would mean your other hand would have nothing to do.
So your character automatically shoots then?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
So your character automatically shoots then?
Continuously, yep. Power-uped weapons don't have a limit to ammo, just how long you can use them.

My iTunes Reviews
04-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimb View Post
Absolutely. It's perfectly fine -- actually I git better results on the iphone than on the clunky psp. I say buy it.
Excellent! Thanks, Fimb.

I'm actually a bit cautious now of installing it on my iPod—just because of how much time I wasted playing the Mini. I'd pick up the PSP "for a quick blast" and then find that several hours had gone by and it was time for bed and I'd done nothing on the long list of things that had needed doing that evening.

Last edited by Happy W; 04-29-2011 at 08:40 PM.
05-06-2011, 08:04 AM
"I'd pick up the PSP "for a quick blast" and then find that several hours had gone by and it was time for bed and I'd done nothing on the long list of things that had needed doing that evening."

Exactly! Keep on killing these space... nazi... zombie... alien freaks.

A question: how do we unlock the fifth planet/moon? Played the crap out of the first four, still nothing. Is there an IAP somewhere here?