★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The importance of sound/music?

05-12-2011, 04:24 AM
The importance of sound/music?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts about sound are in their games. I personally have been focusing on the gameplay parts so far and now that I'm nearly done I'm thinking about adding the sound.

How many of you add music to your games?
I'm not 100% sure if its worth adding since most of the people i see playing iPhone games usually are on public transport without their headphones in so they obviously don't care for the music.

And for sound effects where do you go to find them?
I personally plan on using SoundSnapp.com.
05-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocozero View Post
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts about sound are in their games. I personally have been focusing on the gameplay parts so far and now that I'm nearly done I'm thinking about adding the sound.

How many of you add music to your games?
I'm not 100% sure if its worth adding since most of the people i see playing iPhone games usually are on public transport without their headphones in so they obviously don't care for the music.

And for sound effects where do you go to find them?
I personally plan on using SoundSnapp.com.
Depends on the game of course. Personally I think a catchy tune for an action game can never be over-rated. Then again, I still pull out the old sid-player to listen to Martin Galway and Rob Hubbard's work from the C64.

A catchy tune makes the game feel more fun.

05-12-2011, 04:50 AM
I agree a catchy theme tune can definitely help especially if you're making a trailer too, but would you say it's important to have just a single theme tune, rather than having multiple theme tunes for different levels?

I was thinking of maybe just having a menu theme tune and during levels just have the sound effects.
05-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Quote:
I agree a catchy theme tune can definitely help especially if you're making a trailer too, but would you say it's important to have just a single theme tune, rather than having multiple theme tunes for different levels?

I was thinking of maybe just having a menu theme tune and during levels just have the sound effects.
I think it depends on a lot of variables:

1. The type of game
2. The length of a normal playing session
3. The quality of the tune(s)*
4. Development time/cost

*I’d rather listen to one good tune over and over than several crappy ones. I’d also rather listen to cool sound effects than a crappy tune.

Crazy Comets for the C64 wouldn’t have been half as much fun if it wasn’t for the stellar Rob Hubbard tune. There are certainly games that are fun without music (Doodle Jump?). I still believe though that any game experience can be improved with the right piece of music…
05-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Quote:
...a catchy theme tune can definitely help especially if you're making a trailer too...
You HAVE to make a trailer.
05-12-2011, 06:40 AM
I've been trying new music and it makes a world of difference.

Yes a trailer is essential. Even if you edit old data, which I'm now having to do, is better than nothing.

BubbleSand - "the best sand app"
Tetroms
05-12-2011, 06:53 AM
I personally leave a game with the sound on for a couple of days after i bought it, after that i switch it off!
Tiny wings has a great soundtrack and i liked playing it with sound but after a while it got annoying.
I agree it depends on the game type, but sound is a must and besides sound effects i think you should also have a tune in your levels!

My Twitter:@Tudor
05-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Having good music and sounds won't do much for your first day downloads, since most people don't bother looking for trailers and so music won't be a factor in their buy decision. But sound is a critical part of the user experience, and depending on the game, can help with user ratings. Good example: sword & sorcery ep. The music makes up most of it's appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
I personally leave a game with the sound on for a couple of days after i bought it, after that i switch it off!
Tiny wings has a great soundtrack and i liked playing it with sound but after a while it got annoying.
I agree it depends on the game type, but sound is a must and besides sound effects i think you should also have a tune in your levels!
05-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Having good music and sounds won't do much for your first day downloads, since most people don't bother looking for trailers and so music won't be a factor in their buy decision. But sound is a critical part of the user experience, and depending on the game, can help with user ratings. Good example: sword & sorcery ep. The music makes up most of it's appeal.
Very true. In my opinion, if you have any hopes to make a top seller, music is important. The ambience you give for the game will make users like it even more, whether they know its due to the music or not. I play a lot of my games with my own music, but I never play world of goo unless I can listen to its in game music. That may not be the main reason why I love the game, but it contributes.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
05-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Music is so underrated. It sets the tone for a game most of the time unaware.

Make sure your music will be unique or has a tune that will stick with you unlike many of the orchestral kinda music with their marimba tunes wich are beeing used in almost every game now!