★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Worth renaming app to reflect no longer tilt controlled?

05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Worth renaming app to reflect no longer tilt controlled?

I launched a Tempest style arcade game in November. I called it TiltStorm to reflect that it was tilt controlled. I got feedback that the game was good, but the tilt control was too tricky. So I added touch controls and made them default.

I've done more updates over time, but stuck with the name TiltStorm. I think that puts off some people who don't like accelerometer controls. Do you think it is worth relaunching the app with a new name that doesn't mention tilt? It was hard enough to get review sites to look at it first time, I imagine it will be harder when it isn't a new app. And that is the other problem, it won't show as new on the App Store.

It won't be a new app as I still want to support the existing players and have them continue to be part of an active Game Center high score table.
05-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Don't think that their's an easy answer to this.

X number of people have already bought into the name of the game. How would you notify them that the new name is the same game as the old one? The offset to this is that with improved gameplay, controls you could get a whole host of new customers by rebranding it as a new game.

I think the question for me would be what are my current sales and how much would I stand to lose/gain by changing the name or simply telling people it has improved gameplay. Maybe you could do something that lets people know that it has improved gameplay? Maybe you could keep the name tiltstorm but add something onto the end of it ie Tiltstorm - Auto , tiltstrom touch, Tiltstorm interactive ........ something like that. Then it still provides a link to your previous game.

05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
It is possible to rename the game via an update, I've had at least a dozen apps that changed names w/out affecting the user (i.e. the name just changed with the update.)

What I can list from memory:

Enjoy Soduku -> Soduku
Xenon Music Studio -> Music Studio
Asteroid BBQ -> Shockwave
Light Wars -> Geofighter Light Wars

I've played TiltStorm, and... I'm not sure what else I'd name it. If you do an upade I'd raise the price a tad just before it's out and drop it when the update/name change drops so it'll appear on the lists.

I don't see any apps named SwipeStorm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
05-12-2011, 02:05 PM
How about TouchStorm? Sounds kinda similar so fans of the old name hopefully won't mind the change too much.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-12-2011, 02:07 PM
If I do this I thought I should keep the current icon to help users know it is the same app, but I think the word tilt is off-putting to too many users as they don't want that style of control. Some link should remain in the name, so considering keeping the Storm part.
05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. TouchStorm and SwipeStorm are great names, but the tilt option will be remain a some people do like it. am considering paraphrasing Douglas Adams: "The increasingly inaccurately named TiltStorm has become...". So I cannot really use something that does not include all options.

I have a name in mind, but will keep it under wraps for now.

EDIT: I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for how to get the game looked by review sites at on relaunch. First time around came in the pre-Christmas deluge and it only got reviewed by a couple of smaller sites. Not sure that renaming to reflect user control requests is a strong enough reason.

Last edited by Moonjump; 05-12-2011 at 02:19 PM.
05-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
EDIT: I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for how to get the game looked by review sites at on relaunch. First time around came in the pre-Christmas deluge and it only got reviewed by a couple of smaller sites. Not sure that renaming to reflect user control requests is a strong enough reason.

well biggest problem i see is that it looks bland.. even tempest 2k had more action happening on screen than tilt storm..
it looks and feels unpolished and somewhat slow.. watching an old tempest video i still get that wow felling .. then looking at tiltstorm.. it lacks the storm.. its some like a tender brezze.. it feels boring somehow.. and i doubt a name change will get you much more attention.
05-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for how to get the game looked by review sites at on relaunch. First time around came in the pre-Christmas deluge and it only got reviewed by a couple of smaller sites. Not sure that renaming to reflect user control requests is a strong enough reason.
Maybe you can update the game to rename it and then contact all the review sites to let them know about your game TouchStorm (or whatever you call them). You don't say it's new (no need to lie) and you don't connect it to TiltStorm unless you're asked directly. Given that review sites (and I'm guessing most customers) ignored the game the first time around, most probably won't make the connection. You won't get in the new releases list, but maybe you'll have a chance to get reviewed... Just an idea.

Mariano Ruggiero // Follow me on Twitter (@ArtCoder) // Check out our games:
NEW! Elemental Rage - metroidvania-style adventure platformer
Silent Swords // Silent Swords ZERO // Crunchy Planets
05-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtCoder View Post
Maybe you can update the game to rename it and then contact all the review sites to let them know about your game TouchStorm (or whatever you call them). You don't say it's new (no need to lie) and you don't connect it to TiltStorm unless you're asked directly. Given that review sites (and I'm guessing most customers) ignored the game the first time around, most probably won't make the connection. You won't get in the new releases list, but maybe you'll have a chance to get reviewed... Just an idea.

so you think reviewers are stupid? and think a name change only will possibly catch the interest of everyone? i highly doubt reviewers take a look at an apps name. playing hide and seek like anyone can't klick on an itunes links and see when the game was released or fire up appannie and see the hole history of the title including namechanges etc.. or klicking on the "other apps" of the dev to see that game X is an exact copy of game Y only the name is changed..
great advice to hide/obscure such informations, that will definatly help.
05-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Maybe you should consider releasing the same game twice with two names. The only difference being the default control setting.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-