★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

IPhone/Ipad Universal or 2 apps?

05-13-2011, 04:25 AM
IPhone/Ipad Universal or 2 apps?

I'm very close from submitting my latest game on Iphone and I'm a bit uncertain about releasing it universal or releasing 2 app : (iphone+retina) and (Ipad).

universal:
pros:
- 1 version to manage/update/promote
- customer have better experience
- better for chart position (not sure about this one)
- more likely to be promoted by Apple

cons:
- only 1 price

2 versions:
pros:
- 2 differents prices (more expensive on Ipad)
- flexibility (can make different promotion, experience)

cons:
- bad user experience (if they own both devices)
- more work to manage/update 2 apps

At the end, I'll probably go the Universal road but there is this small voice in my head telling me that it might not be the best choice. What do you think?

JC
05-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Release 2 versions.

Iphone only and a hd version which is universal. There you have the fexibility you need and people can choose what they need. Thats the current trend ive seen.

05-13-2011, 08:06 AM
It really depends on how much different an experience it is on the iPad.
05-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
It really depends on how much different an experience it is on the iPad.
Absolutely identical (other than bigger screen). But the idea is to maximasized my income.

JC
05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
Absolutely identical (other than bigger screen). But the idea is to maximasized my income.

JC
It's really a tossup. By having two separate identical versions you may piss off some people here and there, but at the same time pricing becomes an issue with a universal app.

On the iPad it's not uncommon to spend $4.99 on an app, but on the iPhone you need to be in $0.99-$1.99 land to attract the masses. And if you decide to price it at the lower end, you're leaving money on the table that an iPad consumer would have probably paid for.

Personally I would have two separate versions:
  • A standard iPhone/iPod touch version
  • iPad HD version that maybe contains some minor difference that is worth purchasing when someone wants to compare the two(maybe an extra stage or character or powerup or something)
05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
why does the ipad version need to be different in any kind except using probably different slightly bigger assets for its bigger screen size?

the ipad is owned by a different demographic than all thoose ipod touch users
so genereal prices are higher along the bank and people buy it..

again the ipad market is alot smaller than the iphone market so prices are higher for a smaller more mature audience.

recent releases like for example 2dboys world of goo show a good middle way with 2 versions, and the more expensive hd one being universal..

the ipad owner get the universal capabilities for free and thoose who don't need it get the cheaper iphone/touch version.. win/win for everyone except cheap children who think they have to get everything for 99cents.
05-13-2011, 10:58 AM
yep, I'll definititly go the 2 versions way (universal or iphone only).

JC
05-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post

JC
I believe Apple requires a difference.

Also think about the fact many iPad owners also own an iPhone and will not want to buy an app twice. I have both and there have been apps that I have not bought at all rather than buying twice.
05-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Why not one universal and one ipod/iphone only? Only downside I see is that you might get complaints of universal ever drops to same price as the iphone version.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
I believe Apple requires a difference.
The game ARE different, one run on IPAD, not the other. There are LOAD of games even in the top 10 doing this with just adding HD at the end of the name.

Quote:
Also think about the fact many iPad owners also own an iPhone and will not want to buy an app twice. I have both and there have been apps that I have not bought at all rather than buying twice.
I know, I've got both device and I like universal Apps. But as a dev, I'm not making enought with 0.99$ apps. So, this is why having a universal app for 2.99$ and an iphone only at 0.99$ for example is a great solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by injuwarrior View Post
Why not one universal and one ipod/iphone only?
That's exactly what Ugly was saying, and that is exactly what I'm going to do.