★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Who is worried?

05-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Who is worried?

Independent iOS developer James Thomson has received a “worrying threat” of legal action from an unnamed company over his use of Apple’s in-app purchasing system in his scientific calculator application.

WHo are these people trying to claim legal action?

Machine guns need to be loaded for them.

Who do they think they are to claim copyright or patent over in app purchase the freakin gold diggers.
05-14-2011, 06:35 AM
wow googles screwed too... chrome app srtore as some

Add Me on Gamecenter/Steam: Fireball926

05-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Looks like not many studios on here or single publishers must be worried that these gold diggers are trying to take a cut of other peoples in-app purchases!
05-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Your post was incredibly vague. I'm guessing no one is worried because they don't have a clue what the legal action is aimed at specifically.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Some patent holding company is suing random developers that use in-app purchases based on a patent from years ago. Just a random money grab IMO
05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
it would be usefull to at least post your source of information plop..

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/13/...urchase-links/

company in question is Lodsys.. googling them shows its one of "thoose" companies who just exist because us patent laws are a joke.
05-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Does that not just come down on Apple then? It's their technology, right? Why should a developer be responsible?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Does that not just come down on Apple then? It's their technology, right? Why should a developer be responsible?
The developer plays by apples rules, but in the end its your software, apple just distribute it, so from a legal standpoint you are soley responsible for it.

But i have no doubt that apple will step to protect their app store (they definatly dont care about individual developers)

Last edited by mr.Ugly; 05-14-2011 at 10:03 PM.
05-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
The developer plays by apples rules, but in the end its your software, apple just distribute it, so from a legal standpoint you are soley resonsible for it.
That may not be entirely true: http://tidbits.com/article/12174
05-14-2011, 10:21 PM
i don't see the point..

if you purchase the right to use software x (which you do by purchasing a dev license) but software x contains part y which may infringe on someone else ip then yes you are responsible for that part in your software.

but liability here can be complicated.. if you used not rightly covered software from apple who licensed it to you they would be reliable for any damage you would encounter by using their software. so if party y sues you (which they do not at the time being) you could sue apple for damaged received by their faulty licensed software.

that would be independant from apple/party y beef about them selling product x to customers which contains no properly licensed parts y..

but copyright law is different from country to country and any claim is just a claim until proven.

also license agreements are NOT! law or need to be lawfull.. for what its worth the hole license agreement between different parties could be completly bolocks in the eye of the law, but until the agreement is completly disected by a judge (and possible instances) the thing is only black print on white paper..

that a reason all german license agreements i've yet completly read (not that many it gets boring quickly) have usualy a passus which states that if any of the points in the license agreements is faulty it does not change the other points till proven faulty aswell.

i somehow assume that this is similar in other countries too.

there is a reason why such legal battles take years and consume enourmous amounts of money.. because its an complex overbloated system which gets even worser if you step out into the international market..

i had my share of thoose over the years and there is nothing more annoying than wasting time of your life on such a stupidity the legal system can be.

every business should have a legal protection insurance nower days.. no matter if tiny or big indie. thoose couple euros a month can save you alot of headage