★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Whenever you install/update a large app, *reset the device* to avoid crashes!

05-14-2011, 01:07 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 53
Whenever you install/update a large app, *reset the device* to avoid crashes!

This apparently isn't common knowledge given all the *OMG GAME CRASHES U SUCK 1/5" reviews in the App Store, but it's a critical thing to know.

Installing (or Updating, which is essentially re-installing) large games takes up a large amount of the device's RAM, and for some reason iOS doesn't like giving it back. The aforementioned large games coincidentally require a lot of RAM, and since there's much less RAM than expected, boom, crash.

You reset iOS devices by holding the home + sleep buttons until the Apple logo appears. Or, if you want to be very efficient at RAM clearing, hold the two buttons until the "turn off device" appears, turn it off, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on by holding the same two buttons.

It's a good habit to practice. Haven't had any blatant crash issues in awhile following this.
05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
#2
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger314 View Post
This apparently isn't common knowledge given all the *OMG GAME CRASHES U SUCK 1/5" reviews in the App Store, but it's a critical thing to know.

Installing (or Updating, which is essentially re-installing) large games takes up a large amount of the device's RAM, and for some reason iOS doesn't like giving it back. The aforementioned large games coincidentally require a lot of RAM, and since there's much less RAM than expected, boom, crash.

You reset iOS devices by holding the home + sleep buttons until the Apple logo appears. Or, if you want to be very efficient at RAM clearing, hold the two buttons until the "turn off device" appears, turn it off, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on by holding the same two buttons.

It's a good habit to practice. Haven't had any blatant crash issues in awhile following this.
ummm.... most everyone on this site knows this. Most people here have a decent knowledge of iOS. just sayin....

im back guys!

05-14-2011, 02:12 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 4,355
Don't think we really need this post.

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
05-14-2011, 02:17 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Lol this is posted on most larger file games on the AppStore already. It's just that the majority of AppStore customers are illiterate. 75% or more of all one-star reviews are about crashing upon launching the app or an app not being compatible, which is listed on every game to the left. Generally, everyone here understands this very well though.

Twitter: @back2this
05-14-2011, 02:33 PM
#5
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Lol this is posted on most larger file games on the AppStore already. It's just that the majority of AppStore customers are illiterate. 75% or more of all one-star reviews are about crashing upon launching the app or an app not being compatible, which is listed on every game to the left. Generally, everyone here understands this very well though.
YUP! That's true!
05-15-2011, 05:30 AM
#6
Joined: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Lol this is posted on most larger file games on the AppStore already. It's just that the majority of AppStore customers are illiterate
It's not really that people are illiterate. It's an issue that needs to be addressed by Apple. Sure, you'd think that people read the description of what they download (and especially of what they buy), but the device doesn't really give people the intuitive impression that it needs to be rebooted after the installation of new software (it's very Windows 3.1'ish) and it's not obvious how to even do that. And then you have iTunes where you see a few lines of text before you have to click on "more..." to read the whole description.

I certainly agree that people here know that kind of stuff (at least those who post), but there are probably many that lurk who aren't as experienced, and I agree that many people don't bother to read the whole description of what they download, especially if it's free, but being lazy or inexperienced -- or simply unaware of what amounts to a bug -- doesn't quite make people illiterate.
05-15-2011, 05:48 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,169
I rarely ever do this and never have crashes but I do use xsysinfo now and again and have it free up some RAM it seems to do a good job.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
05-15-2011, 07:41 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Upstate NY/USA
Posts: 2,409
I don't do hard resets.
Instead I use the Systems Activity Monitor app.

But doing hard resets should be (and unfortunately not to some) fairly common knowledge and was a requirement for most games back in the ol' days.
05-15-2011, 07:55 AM
#9
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,502
Does this help if you always download from itunes and sync.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
05-15-2011, 09:01 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 4,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by injuwarrior View Post
Does this help if you always download from itunes and sync.
Not really. Its more of what is in the background

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!