★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sentinel Strategy Discussion

04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Sentinel Strategy Discussion

Ok, so I wanted to start a thread discussing strategies for Sentinel (there are already threads for Dungeon Defense, Elemental Monster, Fieldrunners, Geodefense, etc), but I think the strategies in Sentinel Differ for various reasons.

I started on Medium, and I have yet to beat the second map. I can get close to 90 waves, but I can't seem to get all the way. My issue seems to deal with running out of money too fast. I hope to get a good discussion running on different strategies used by you TD geniuses out there (myself NOT included ).

I am the managing editor of nodpad.com.

Sporting an iPod Touch 2 Gen
04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Well I just started playing today, decided to have a go on easy just to get the hang of it. I can definitely say it's better to upgrade first than it is to place more units. This is usually the opposite of most TD games.

eg:
The laser tower costs 20 to build and does 1 damage.
The first upgrade costs 20 and upgrades it to 2 damage (I know this is contradictive to what I just said but wait...)
The next upgrade costs 20 and doubles the damage to 4
The last upgrade costs 20 and doubles the damage to 8
In summary, one laser tower doing 8 damage costs $80.
This is opposed to building 4 towers, each doing 1 damage for a total of 4 damage.
The ideal situation would be to have these towers at bends and curves in the path (on the inside) closest to the point of invasion. Max them out and then work your way down the path.
I didn't look much into the bomb or the slow-down one, but also what I realized is that it's best to get the drones out as early as possible. And if you use the strategy I mentioned, you will be all set for a good number of ways afterwards, so you can save up and get interest.
Don't forget, try not to spend before a wave ends, this way you'll maximize your interest.

04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
yea......
for the laser towers (towers that fire blue rays)
it starts with 400 damage and when upgraded (upgrades cost same as buying new ones)
it has 900 damage or 100 more damage then you would have had if you did not upgrade and bought a new one
keep long distance towers in the parts where you can hit both sides of the maze
04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
The $300 tower seems to be useless. By that I mean....it doesn't do much damage if any. Has anyone found a good use for it?

04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975 View Post
The $300 tower seems to be useless. By that I mean....it doesn't do much damage if any. Has anyone found a good use for it?
There's more discussion at the official game's forum here:
http://www.origin8.com/forum/index.php

I did end up using the $300 sniper gun quite well on the 2nd map, by placing it in the middle, it was able to keep shooting (although at a slow pace) at the mutants slowly going around the map. By the time they reached the right side of the map, they were dead . You also need ot upgrade it to ensure it does one-shot kills, as reload takes ages, especially if there's a flurry of the birds.
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkiphone View Post
There's more discussion at the official game's forum here:
http://www.origin8.com/forum/index.php

I did end up using the $300 sniper gun quite well on the 2nd map, by placing it in the middle, it was able to keep shooting (although at a slow pace) at the mutants slowly going around the map. By the time they reached the right side of the map, they were dead . You also need ot upgrade it to ensure it does one-shot kills, as reload takes ages, especially if there's a flurry of the birds.
Good advice! It is so hard to upgrade those expensive weapons because they are....uhhhh....expensive!

04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
the laser gun does come in handy in the later missions, when fully upgraded
because of its range, damage, and speed

but i agree..it is expensive,

i normally acrue some compound interest by being patient and lean/efficient with my towers, so i can get my drones and then upgrade to the expensive towers
04-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975 View Post
Good advice! It is so hard to upgrade those expensive weapons because they are....uhhhh....expensive!
A little trick you might try: sell the weapon just before the last mutant is killed, and you'll get a partial refund that will help you earn a little bit of interest at the end of the round.
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
I just got to wave 240.

As other have said, don't waste your money at the beginning. Just buy and upgrade as little as necessary. You'll be able to buy stuff with the interests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	3191  
04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm terrible =(

Can't get past the first map... On easy.

back