Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukester View Post
Asynch would be ridiculous for this game, which features hundreds of little "draw two card" actions per game. You really want to wait around for ...

every ...

single ...

one ...

of those ...

to happen?

And I wouldn't hold your breath, BTW. DoW is on record saying it ain't gonna happen:

"We think there are just too many micro-turns (ie I draw 2 cards, Next!) in the game for this to make sense."

That's Eric Hautemont of DoW, dismissing asynch earlier today at BGG.
It doesn't matter what you do during your turn. They can simply enable asynchronous gameplay to allow players to take their turns when they want to. Simple and easy. They can add a simple checkbox where you allow or disallow asynchronous gameplay when you create the game. Sure most people would not use that option, but it would be very useful for some people as well.

Last edited by ASFx; 05-19-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Um ... yes. I'm familiar with the concept.

I wasn't talking about anyone's turn; that's the easy part. It's the everyone-waiting-around-for-no-good-reason-and-taking-six-weeks-to-play-a-30-minute-game thing that's going to be difficult to solve.

Actually, it's not going to matter. Monkeys will fly right out of my nether regions before DoW does asynch for this game. Even if it was a decent idea (which it's not), they'd still want everyone to play in real time on their servers.
Your argument makes no sense. Asynchronous gameplay exists for Carcassonne, which consists of placing a single tile on the board. It exists for chess, which consists of moving a single piece each turn. It exists for many other games as well.

If someone intentionally creates a game with the asynchronous option turned on, then obviously they are expecting delays between turns, and obviously this would not be the norm for most games. It would be very useful for people with situations like mine, which I already explained a few posts above.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I'll just assume you've never played TtR and leave it at that.

Beyond which, none of this discussion really matters. That's like the Big Cheese of DoW I quoted earlier, saying, in effect: "Not gonna happen."
And i'll assume that you've never played an Asynchronous multiplayer game before and don't fully understand the concept.

If they've already said it's not going to happen, well then that's sad.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFx View Post
And i'll assume that you've never played an Asynchronous multiplayer game before and don't fully understand the concept.

If they've already said it's not going to happen, well then that's sad.
I cannot imagine asynchronous multiplayer being fun at all for this game. Waiting several hours for someone to draw 2 cards just doesn't seem to make sense for a game like this. I doubt many people want that future. A game takes about 30 minutes to play, there is no need to drag that out over hours or days.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltab View Post
I cannot imagine asynchronous multiplayer being fun at all for this game. Waiting several hours for someone to draw 2 cards just doesn't seem to make sense for a game like this. I doubt many people want that future. A game takes about 30 minutes to play, there is no need to drag that out over hours or days.
New member here but just got my iPad and been waiting for this app, so this thread drew me out. I gotta agree on the 'no' to asynch multiplayer. For Civ you start tedious but build up and with Carc every tile placement counts. In asynch multi you're waiting for something important, and TTR is a great game but even the last moves from a player can be useless card or secret ticket draws.

Pass and play could work though, it would just take some creative thinking.

Either way this conversion is great! I just gifted a copy to my friend in the hopes that he'll get into it with me, though he's never played the board game so hopefully the speediness won't turn him off. Also, the station clerk system is confusing even for me. Can anyone tell me how to get the expansions at all? I'm at a loss...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFx View Post
It doesn't matter what you do during your turn. They can simply enable asynchronous gameplay to allow players to take their turns when they want to. Simple and easy.
Agreed. It's such a no-brainer. Oh well, maybe we'll get pass-and-play at some point...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

I have to agree. Will take wayyyy too long to have asyn option for multi players.

Played a lot since I dl earlier and love it!!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Mentioned this to a co-worker and he bought it. He let me try it out and I played with the tutorial turned on. It was pretty fun! Though it took me about halfway through the game to finally start realizing some strategies. But once I started understanding the game it seems quite interesting. It is definitely on my list to pick up and I'd love to check out how the expansions change things. Might pick this up tonight or tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprloe View Post
I am really hoping an iOS conversion of Gang of Four will be forthcoming. Along with Tichu, it's one of my favorite card games, and Days of Wonder's online multiplayer is already in place.
@cprloe: I came across this game being described as a 'Gang of Four' clone the other day and while I have no interest in it myself (I have never played Gang of Four) I thought that you may find the info useful...

http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/id396382962?mt=8

(My apologies to everyone else for going off topic for a moment.)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:22 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Gang of Four is too much like poker for my tastes. But i'd buy it anyway, just to throw in my support... plus I'm sure I'd grow to like it more. I've only played it once.

I haven't yet tried TTR online. I expect to get in my first online game sometime this weekend. I've been so busy this week and tonight I've got friends coming over for real board games, including TTR. Probably will play online on Saturday, though. And no, I don't think asynchronous would provide a satisfying experience in this game and I'm pretty positive that that's why DoW isn't going to include it. You'd end up with lots of reviews saying the game is slow and boring, which is precisely not what this game is. It's fast paced and fun. I do want pass-and-play, though.

I'd like to see some more DLC, like Märklin, Nordic Countries and Alvin and Dexter. I haven't played any of those, but the more the merrier IMHO.

Last edited by crunc; 05-20-2011 at 10:09 AM..