★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ACRONYM! - When you need something to do while waiting for your turn in those "turn-based" word games...

ACRONYM! - A game completely free of birds!

ACRONYM! is an online multiplayer word game where players join a room with up to 9 other players. Players are given a random acronym and compete by creating logical or humorous meanings. After time expires, each player votes anonymously for their favorite meaning (but not their own).

For example, the game might give you the acronym "TGR" to which you could submit, "This Game Rocks", or for "ILA" you could submit "I Love ACRONYM". The possibilities are endless, and only your creativity will win over the votes of the other players in the room. Do you have the vocabulary and quick wit to succeed? Download ACRONYM and put your humorous use of the english language to the test!

Features:
-Play instantly against players over the internet
-Play as little or long as you want; points tally over time
-Quick play matches you up with players automatically
-Real time game play; no waiting for turns
-Retina display graphics
-Game Center integration (Achievements and Leaderboards)

Gabrien's comments:
Could it be? Finally? Acrophobia for the iPhone? Downloading this to find out.

05-17-2011, 10:32 PM
No luck finding a room with enough folks in it yet. The interface does look clean and straight forward so far though which is a good sign.

Surely I'm not the only one here with super fond memories of Acrophobia?.. Am I?..

05-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Game Impressions

Well, the bare bones are there, but this needs so much more... Like for a start, sound? Categories? Points for voting for top pick? No points for you if you didn't vote? General presentation: Acrophobia was extremely low key on graphics but simply oozed class and polish from a presentation standpoint.

Don't know, glad this is out there, but it's little more than a start currently and anyone's guess whether or not it will be further developed.
05-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Just the beginning...

I'm the developer of ACRONYM, and believe me, there is plenty of room for expansion on the game. There are several features I'm already working on for the first major update. Part of the reason the game is so simple right now is for my own sanity!

This game was entirely coded by myself (server and client), and I needed the initial release to be somewhat manageable considering I needed to spend a good amount of time ensuring that the service stays up and as close to error-free as I can keep it.

The primary goal with ACRONYM now is to get people playing the game, and then add more game modes and options as the user base grows. I know categories are going to be a big request for all acrophobia lovers. I plan to use this community as well as feedback from other players to shape what features get added to the game.

The next big feature that is being developed currently is private rooms; create a room, choose game options, and invite your friends to join.

I tried to keep the game graphics clean and easy to jump in and play, and I intend on keeping the level of quality up throughout the project. Keep the feedback coming (good and bad) and I can use you responses to make ACRONYM better with each release.

Thanks for checking it out!

Road Rage Ahead, Tailgate Games, Tic Tac Ultimate - www.ryaneade.com
05-18-2011, 07:55 AM
As a matter of priority, no points for those who didn't vote is an absolute must. Otherwise best strategy is to not vote...which leads to not having a game at all.

By the way, I meant to mention it earlier: chat would also add a lot. But game-breaking issues first, features later. You have my buck as soon as the first positive update is out. Best of luck, really hope to see this fill its potential.
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Just got done playing a few games and had a lot of fun. Reminds me of all the fun I had playing acrophobia. Hopefully more people start playing.
05-18-2011, 11:55 AM
So you type in your own words? Does it have a profanity filter? I don't particularly object to swearing but too much just makes a game look childish.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
So you type in your own words? Does it have a profanity filter? I don't particularly object to swearing but too much just makes a game look childish.
Yes, the game blocks "most" offensive words. I did my best to combine several bad word lists to get a pretty comprehensive list of words to block. That being said, I'm sure I will have to add more once people come up with creative new ones.

I also have an "uncensored" game play version that is included in the In-app purchase that removes the ads. You get an additional button on the main screen to join Uncensored rooms which do not block bad words, but everyone in those rooms is expecting that.

My intention was that by giving a dedicated uncensored game play option, those who wish to play that way would use it.

05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Another issue: downloaded the game onto a different device and it won't let me use the name I originally registered with. (Gamecenter logs me in just fine; why not simply use that name automatically?) Do I really need to create a new user name or will this be fixed?
05-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Another issue: downloaded the game onto a different device and it won't let me use the name I originally registered with. (Gamecenter logs me in just fine; why not simply use that name automatically?) Do I really need to create a new user name or will this be fixed?
Players that do not use GameCenter wouldn't have the option of using their GameCenter nickname as their login, so there is a separate user account on the server that authenticates you regardless of whether or not you use GameCenter. The email gathered during registration is what will eventually enable you to log out of one device and into another using the same account.

To my knowledge, you could be logged into GameCenter on two devices at the same time; I'd have to think about how to handle the possibility that two different devices were playing at the same time, both using the same GameCenter account.

Either way, it's something that will improve as I add more functionality. I appreciate your input Gabrien, keep it coming!