★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Its official. Ivor the Engine steams again! Ivor and the Dragon is a brand new adventure game based on the original Smallfilms stories of Ivor the Engine. Featuring authentic artwork from the 1970s BBC TV series, newly restored and rendered as high-definition graphics for the very first time, you get to take control of Ivor the Engines driver, Jones the Steam, and guide them both through a series of puzzles along the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited railway in the top left-hand corner of Wales.

Youll see many familiar faces along the way. Dai the Station will be making sure youre not late making a special delivery to Mrs Thomas. Mrs Porty will want to make sure that you know your way around; she does own the Railway after all.
And then theres the mysterious case of the fiery object at the top of Smoke Hill. Dare you bring it down and where should you keep it?

Narrated by the voice of the late Oliver Postgate, Ivor and the Dragon is an iPad gaming adventure that is fun for all the family to play from ages 8 to 80!

Come and see a Welsh legend reborn!

Game Features
-HD rendering of Peter Firmins original Ivor the Engine artwork
-Original story narration by the voice of the late Oliver Postgate
-Original music and recordings by the late Vernon Elliott
-A gameplay experience that immerses you in the world of Ivor the Engine
-In-game puzzles and tasks suitable for children and adults
-Easy point and tap screen controls
-Clear in-game instructions
-Reach different locations by setting control room levers
-Unlock hidden locations
-A heart-warming rendition of Land of my Fathers!

See the official Ivor and the Dragon gameplay video demo: http://www.ivortheengineonline.com/demo

Ivor and the Dragon is a first game release from Smallworlds the official online multimedia home of Ivor the Engine in association with Smallfilms and Dreadnought Design.

For more information visit:
http://www.ivortheengineonline.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SmallWorlds/145175948878772

DreadnoughtDesign's comments:
Its official. Ivor the Engine is now an iPad game for kidsand bigger kids affectionately known as adults! The game is called 'Ivor and the Dragon' - an adventure game where players are challenged to solve a series of puzzles along the famous railway line featured in the British children's TV animation - Ivor the Engine, screened on the BBC in the UK during the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

If you like logical game puzzles, Ivor and the Dragon is for you! Everything you need to be successful is hidden around the game screens. Youll need to help Ivor and his engine driver, Jones the Steam, make his deliveries but first youll need to work out how to light Ivors fireboxhe is a small green Welsh steam engine after all!

There are loads of locations to find and lots of different (and unusual!) deliveries to make. Some places that you need to get to are obvious on Ivors railway map. Other places are hiddenjust follow the on-screen clues to find them and unlock them!

Getting around requires some brain talent too. The railway signal box has a set of seven levers. By setting these levers in different position combinations you can get to travel to different locationslike Grumbly Town, the Coal Pit and Dinwiddys Gold Mine!

BTW dont forget to pick up a pair of boots at Llaniog Station. Mr Dinwiddys going to need them for his cold feet!!

The star of the show in Ivor the Engine iPad game (besides Ivor the Engine himself of course) is Idris the fiery Welsh Dragon. If youre lucky, you might just find him up on Smoke Hill when Ivor trundles by. Go up to the top of the mountain and you could be surprised at what you find!

Ivor and the Dragon on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivor-the-engine/id400910512?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

05-19-2011, 03:33 AM
costs 4.99
and the only review i can find is on the appstore which says its complicated for the parents

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"

05-19-2011, 03:49 AM
Looks really nice in the screen shots, but the review is a bit discouraging if it's repetitive nonsense. OTOH, the review also mentions toddler, and I don't know any 8 year old toddlers - so perhaps the reviewer has unrealistic expectations. Oh well, perhaps a video of actual game play will surface, or a review from a reputable site.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
05-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Hi guys -

For a video of actual game play please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9aGS0rCkJ0 or see it at the new Ivor the Engine website: http://www.ivortheengineonline.com/game

Any reviewers are more than welcome to make contact if they'd like to review the game. Promo codes are available. So far, we've had one review on a kids website, and several more in the pipeline with a number of online and offline publications.

The game certainly makes you think. It is designed to be logically challenging for ages 8+. Gameplay follows an original Ivor the Engine story from the late Oliver Postgate. There will of course be those that 'dont get it', but I guess as a developer those are the risks you take...

A click-by-click guide has also been written to help reviewers get the most out of the game.
05-21-2011, 08:46 PM
If you are indeed offering promo codes, I'd love to try the game and leave a review on this forum. Anything train-related is always of interest.

Good luck with the game.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebecotr View Post
If you are indeed offering promo codes, I'd love to try the game and leave a review on this forum. Anything train-related is always of interest.

Good luck with the game.

Thanks very much. I'll send you a promo code on PM
05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Yep gotta admit i'd love to try

I still remember watching them as a kid, whereas my 8 year old obviously does not know them : )

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
The graphics for this game are beautiful - those who saw the original TV show will feel right at home.

The object of the game is to visit different locations and accomplish set tasks. Guiding the train requires remembering how to set your levers correctly, so it's a bit reminiscent of Mastermind, in a way.

It's not suitable for very young children, who will get frustrated by the levers, but I've tried with a seven-year old, and she played with great enjoyment. I had fun with it, too. If you like trains, it's a nice game to spend some time with. Also, if you're concerned about some games being too violent or unsuitable for kids, this will be perfect for you.

All in all, this is a really well-done game. I like it.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
06-15-2011, 10:09 PM
This looks great and is a nice idea. Congrats and good luck with the sales!
06-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the review. Much appreciated, and glad you had fun with it. We are in the process of making some updates to the game, which we hope to publish soon. I'll let you guys know when we're there with that