★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Have I been quoted a fair price for 2D iPhone game?

05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Have I been quoted a fair price for 2D iPhone game?

Hi all
I realize everyone is very busy, etc, just wanted your advice please - I have been quoted $US20K for development of an game for iPhone 3GS+. It has been sketched out as a platformer game, with sounds and music (it is a children's game). The basic artwork is supplied, but in black and white - the developer team is coloring and animating it. It will have three levels (about 3 minutes each), with different backgrounds on each. No scoring or other integrated systems. The developers have approximately three months to complete the project.
Do you think this is a fair quote? They are not a huge company (only have about three other (small) apps on the App Store). I'm very happy with their professionalism, just not sure about the quoted price.
Thanking you in advance.
05-18-2011, 11:53 PM
That sounds about right to me. I've never developed a game before but I keep hearing $10-30K being the starting price for a basic app. Obviously it depends on the quality of their work so it's hard to judge without seeing a portfolio or something.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

05-19-2011, 12:52 AM
it completly depends on the expected quality (in all departments, sound, gfx etc.).. 20k is not small change.. but from the first few comments its sound way overpriced..

but in the end its really a question if target quality. 3 month for a jump and run with limited content sound also quite long.. but its all guessworking until you get to know the complete scope of the project.. they surely made you the offer with alot more informations..

so hard to say..
05-19-2011, 07:37 AM
3 Levels a 3 minutes and no scoring? Graphics black/white given. I would not pay 20k. And I would not ask for 20k.
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogo View Post
3 Levels a 3 minutes and no scoring? Graphics black/white given. I would not pay 20k. And I would not ask for 20k.
again, whould you know the extend of the quality behind the stuff? i could easily see it exceed the price point of 20k depending on the amount of animation, enemies, sound polish etc. etc.

but it could also be alot less.. it depends.. anyone giving you a quote with this kind of imformation can't be taken serious.. because you can't quote something you barely know about..
05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry US20K sounds cheap...
With most ios devs I know charging $100 an hour and up for senior level work.

So... 3 months * 4 week * 40 hours * $100 = $48,000
3 months * 4 week * 40 hours * $50 = $24,000

So you are paying less then $50 am hour for more then 1 developer?

If my math is correct
05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunny View Post
Sorry US20K sounds cheap...
With most ios devs I know charging $100 an hour and up for senior level work.

So... 3 months * 4 week * 40 hours * $100 = $48,000
3 months * 4 week * 40 hours * $50 = $24,000

So you are paying less then $50 am hour for more then 1 developer?

If my math is correct

hehe we would call that a "milchmšdchen rechnung".. i have yet to see a game developer earning 100$ an hour.. please tell me the company / joint who provides such salary in game developement and i'd happy apply there..

the complete european game developers will apply at this place and i'm sure most of the us too..

who here earns 16k a month ? maybe thats wishfull thinking..

i also doubt thoose 3 month are fulltime.. usualy such teams are working on several smaller and bigger projects at the same time.. but again without much knowledge of the real content of the project all is guessworking..
05-19-2011, 05:13 PM
http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/07/iphon...lopment-costs/
Quote:
For developers in the USA and the EU zone, itís not unusual for an iPhone developer to charge well over $100/hour to do contract iOS development, but realistically the hourly range is anywhere from $50/hour to $250/hour, with experience and name recognition usually setting the price. The hourly costs have been this high for going on two years now, and given the limited pool of dev talent itís no surprise that itís a developers market
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/appl...app-developer/
Quote:
professional iOS developer can make anywhere between $100-$150 per hour building apps for third parties.
http://www.indeed.com/salary/Application-Developer.html
05-20-2011, 12:52 AM
It's really important that you take the time to inspect the developer extremely thoroughly. What projects has he/she done in the past? Play them. Check the credits.

What you don't want is somebody completely overestimating the time requirement for hourly work. Get a few quotes from folks who provide quality work. Finally, be skeptical of people who charge an extremely low amount. You really need to find someone who will give you an outstanding code-base to work with. If you want to add onto the project in the future, and the original developers are not around, you'll have a major headache on your hands if the code base is extremely poor.

Here is a good article:
http://www.hollance.com/2011/05/deve...se-it-is-hard/
05-20-2011, 01:11 AM

nice links but they proove nothing.. i would like to see a few companie names poping up so i can apply there .. i can bring around 150+ more people i know from germany with me who work in game developement.. any none of them earns no where near of 16k a month.. or even close. thats a doctors salary

i can show you several links who show different figures.. and somehow i doubt us guys earn double the salary and more than european developers.. if that where true most companies would come over here and not leave to the us and other cheaper countries.. weird.. huh..