★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The confused and dazed Mr. pinkandpurple needs help

05-19-2011, 12:49 PM
#1
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
The confused and dazed Mr. pinkandpurple needs help

Hello

I am at a dilemma whereby I do not know how to go about distributing some game rules for a game I have devised.

This is only rules to a popular card game which you can enhance.

And so to get it into app store I wondered the best way and format to distribute and upload it?

If I upload directly to Apple with an Apple account to sell it and mae it into an app first of course, or go through another distributor that distributes to app store Nook etc and have my rules as an ebook?

I have not actually got it made into an app or ebook yet but this will take just a day or two.

The rules are very short and it is nothing very spectacular (apart from the game rules ))

Many thanks for some advice

Last edited by pinkandpurple; 05-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
#2
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
Artwork format?

Hello

Could anyone say what is the artwork format when getting an artist to do Iphone Ipad artwork?

I tried to contact a member here Teoma but the emails keep coming back with postmaster undeliverable message

05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkandpurple View Post
Hello

Could anyone say what is the artwork format when getting an artist to do Iphone Ipad artwork?

I tried to contact a member here Teoma but the emails keep coming back with postmaster undeliverable message
PNGs work fine in most all cases.
05-19-2011, 04:55 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
If you and your artist uses Photoshop, a .PSD (with art layers) is always better

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio
05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
#5
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetasoft View Post
If you and your artist uses Photoshop, a .PSD (with art layers) is always better
Oh thanks

I did read about vector art that can be used easily for other handsets but I dont know?
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
#6
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
Vector formats are good because you've always got the artwork at any size you need it, but if you just save the work big enough to begin with then it doesn't matter too much. I think the main program for vector stuff is probably Adobe Illustrator, not 100% sure though.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-19-2011, 06:14 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Vector formats are good because you've always got the artwork at any size you need it, but if you just save the work big enough to begin with then it doesn't matter too much. I think the main program for vector stuff is probably Adobe Illustrator, not 100% sure though.
Photoshop also work with vector, but Illustrator is more oriented vector.

For my point of view, the best way is to work with bitmap and to ask a bigger size, for example if you need an art of 128x128 ask for a 1024x1024 or a 2048x2048, it's always good to have a bigger size for many reason.

1st, when you reduce your art, you will always have a good quality (aliasing)
2nd, you don't know what apple have in mind, i'm talking about the new size of the retina screen or if you want to turn your product in HD for the mac store, you are ready for it

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio
05-20-2011, 02:31 AM
#8
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetasoft View Post
Photoshop also work with vector, but Illustrator is more oriented vector.

For my point of view, the best way is to work with bitmap and to ask a bigger size, for example if you need an art of 128x128 ask for a 1024x1024 or a 2048x2048, it's always good to have a bigger size for many reason.

1st, when you reduce your art, you will always have a good quality (aliasing)
2nd, you don't know what apple have in mind, i'm talking about the new size of the retina screen or if you want to turn your product in HD for the mac store, you are ready for it
Oh OK

Bitmap or Vector. Do you think it is easy to ask an artist to supply both when finishing artwork or would it be complicated for an artist?

Im a bit confused now I just saw Vectorsoft post about .PSD with art layers too?

Last edited by pinkandpurple; 05-20-2011 at 02:56 AM.
05-20-2011, 02:53 AM
#9
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkandpurple View Post
Oh OK

Bitmap or Vector. Do you think it is easy to ask an artist to supply both when finishing artwork or would it be complicated for an artist?

Im a bit confused now I just was Vectorsoft post about .PSD with art layers too?
Vectorsoft, that's funny, we have not seen that one before choosing the name of our company: D

Both, it is unnecessary, because a vector can be easily converted into a bitmap. a bitmap require manual work to be vectorized.

It depends on your artist, ask him if he is working with bitmap or vector.

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio
05-20-2011, 02:57 AM
#10
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkandpurple View Post
Oh OK
Im a bit confused now I just was Vectorsoft post about .PSD with art layers too?
for the art layers, most artist draw background and characters, layers is used to separate the background and the characters.

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio