★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Stuart Atkinson
  • Genre: Racing
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 31.8 MB
  • Version: 1.1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: From one of the creators of TOMB RAIDER - A Top Down racer with finely tuned realistic car handling. 1 or 2 PLAYERS ONE IPAD. Sit opposite your friend on the same iPad and drift around corners on dirt, tarmac and snow with computer controlled opponents challenging you, Time Trials with Leader Boards and tracks to unlock - there's plenty to keep you coming back for more.

Please note:
The control system is designed to work with the iPad positioned flat i.e. A table top or knee.

"What We're Playing" - U.S.A. iTunes Store!
"New & Noteworthy" - Racing Games- Many stores!

What's been said so far:
"Out Brake is the closest thing to the arcade game Super Sprint that I've played on the iPad" - djflippy Senior Member Touch Arcade.

"This is an absolutely fantastic racer and I am always a fan of one iPad, multiplayer games. The cars really connect with the track, they just seem to handle the way they should and controls are simple." BazookaTime Senior Member Touch Arcade.
05-20-2011, 07:15 AM
I'd take a chance on this at the minimum price. As is, it really need a lite. Or at least a video. Or heck, a slightly more verbose description might help too.

05-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Hmm. Just learnt this is by the same dev as Mr Onions. That changes things somewhat.
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Game Impressions

Just awesome. I am completely blown away. Where to start. The cars handle amazingly well. I haven't unlocked the snow tracks yet but the tarmac and dirt ones feel exactly as one would expect. The sound is BIG, meaty, and resembles real engines. In fact, all round, these are the tiniest cars with the biggest personalities.

As you can tell from the screenshots there is no scrolling. Each track takes up one full iPad screen. It works. Simply. Beautifully.

A few issues exist: the controls work just fine but I would have liked for them to be customisable. Reversing the brake/gas pedals for example is always a nice option to have. The left/right steering button area could be a little bigger; on a couple of occasions I lost steering because my thumb strayed a little too far to the side. The game is currently low on features/content: nine tracks in total is fine, though more would be welcome; only time trial and single race modes are available though; no championship. The AI presents little challenge; on my second race after a few time trials I lapped all three AI cars on lap five of the first track. More than a single difficulty is clearly required. Of course, the main feature that's missing is online multiplayer. I cannot stress enough how glorious this game would be with it implemented.

All of the above however still pales into near insignificance against the simple joy of playing this game provides. Forget Reckless Racing and Death Rally; this is THE top-down racer for the iPad. I can only hope it will receive some deserved recognition and the developer will see fit to expand its features. I know well enough what a tough sell it will be at its current price with the level of marketing it has behind it. Here's my bit: if you like top-down racers or racers in general, heck, if you have a passion for gaming period, this is the one to take a chance on.

Last edited by Gabrien; 05-20-2011 at 08:36 AM.
05-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Just awesome. I am completely blown away. Where to start. The cars handle amazingly well. I haven't unlocked the snow tracks yet but the tarmac and dirt ones feel exactly as one would expect. The sound is BIG, meaty, and resembles real engines. In fact, all round, these are the tiniest cars with the biggest personalities.

As you can tell from the screenshots there is no scrolling. Each track takes up one full iPad screen. It works. Simply. Beautifully.

A few issues exist: the controls work just fine but I would have liked for them to be customisable. Reversing the brake/gas pedals for example is always a nice option to have. The left/right steering button area could be a little bigger; on a couple of occasions I lost steering because my thumb strayed a little too far to the side. The game is currently low on features/content: nine tracks in total is fine, though more would be welcome; only time trial and single race modes are available though; no championship. The AI presents little challenge; on my second race after a few time trials I lapped all three AI cars on lap five of the first track. More than a single difficulty is clearly required. Of course, the main feature that's missing is online multiplayer. I cannot stress enough how glorious this game would be with it implemented.

All of the above however still pales into near insignificance against the simple joy of playing this game provides. Forget Reckless Racing and Death Rally; this is THE top-down racer for the iPad. I can only hope it will receive some deserved recognition and the developer will see fit to expand its features. I know well enough what a tough sell it will be at its current price with the level of marketing it has behind it. Here's my bit: if you like top-down racers or racers in general, heck, if you have a passion for gaming period, this is the one to take a chance on.

Interesting... the screenshots remind me exactly of a racing game I used to play on my old Sony Ericsson m600 (touch screen), were you'd lead the car around the track by guiding it with a stylus.

How does the drifting feel in the game? How would you compare it with Drift Legends (if you've tried it)?

Gamecenter: KineticBlur
Now Playing (iOS): Hearthstone, Battleheart: Legacy
Now Playing (PS4): Watch Dogs
05-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddToKmart View Post
Interesting... the screenshots remind me exactly of a racing game I used to play on my old Sony Ericsson m600 (touch screen), were you'd lead the car around the track by guiding it with a stylus.

How does the drifting feel in the game? How would you compare it with Drift Legends (if you've tried it)?
It is a lot less exaggerated than Drift Legends and a lot more realistic. You only drift when taking corners at near top speed on tarmac, for example, while on dirt initiating a drift is much easier. Have not tried snow yet as I said.
05-20-2011, 09:25 AM
video!
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I completely agree with what Gabrien posted.

This is an absolutely fantastic racer and I am always a fan of one iPad, multiplayer games. The cars really connect with the track, they just seem to handle the way they should and controls are simple.

I would also like to see some customization with control location and size. Controls work just fine but if I could adjust them it would make the game that much better. Would love more tracks, tournaments ect but I am impressed with what is offered.
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Out Brake is the closest thing to the arcade game Super Sprint that I've played on the iPad and that is a hewg compliment. If you've played that game, you want this game. Period.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Gabrien, BazookaTime and djflippy are people whose opinions and recommendations have real weight on this site, and I've bought a lot of games solely on their recommendations, and are seldom disappointed.

This time I am though, a little bit.

All three mentions the controls, but IMO not enough emphasis on how incredible bad they are, due to the extremely uncomfortably position they are in.
It's impossible to sit and play the game unless you lay your iPad flat on the table (with something under your iPad to prevent it from sliding all over the place), if you try sitting with your iPad in your hands, you won't last two races...
The controls are 2 centimetres from the bottom of the iPad, and it's very hard for your hands and fingers to hold it in this position...

This issue, and this issue alone, destroyed any enjoyment I might have had from the game, and I really wanted to like it.

I think it might be a great game, but not before the controls is made configurable.
Also, there's potential for a good two player game here, haven't tried that yet though...

"To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable."
Aaron Copland