★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Skotos Tech
  • Genre: Card
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 26.9 MB
  • Version: 1.60
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Modern Art: The Card Game is Reiner Knizia's classic game of card management and valuation. Given a hand of works from five different artists, you must drive up the prices of your favorites while simultaneously holding back those artists' works to assure yourself of better prices in later rounds.

Can you predict the buzz?

Six different opponents, each with their own personality, will challenge you at a variety of levels, from EASY to HARD. Figuring out how to work with each will increase your odds of winning the game.

Modern Art: The Card Game is built on the same MobileEuroCard platform that RPGnet has used to release four other games by Reiner Knizia and Michael Schacht. Simple gestures, colorful animations, and evocative sounds all combine to make a great gaming experience.

Though we have included our first iteration of Game Center support, there is NO MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT; that is expected in a future release of the game.

This is the SAME GAME as MASTERS GALLERY, but it uses the artwork of modern tyros rather than classical masters. Though Modern Art: The Card Game shares a setting and general ideas with the auction tabletop release Modern Art, it is a different game.
05-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Instabuy!

Classic Reiner K. euro card game...

PLH Software
---------------

05-21-2011, 12:58 AM
yes I'm picking this one up too. I sure hope at some point at least some of these Knizia Skotos games get hotseat ability at least the ones that make sense to do so. This one might be hard but may work by cupping hand while pressing down on cards to display. Gonna play this puppy now. I'll have to keep my original copy of Modern Art as I'm not gonna count on hotseat for this one though.

This game is pretty much ruined first 2 or 3 games when you get a newbie to this game. So this is great as you just say ..ok numbnut play this ipad version and learn it and then hopefully their bids are not way outta whack.

oh crap: didn't read description this isn't the AUCTION game Modern Art ....oh well ...whatever. I'm trying it and so far guess it's ok but nothing at all like Modern Art the game. suckkkkkkkk

Last edited by mrbass; 05-21-2011 at 01:36 AM.
05-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
oh crap: didn't read description this isn't the AUCTION game Modern Art ....oh well ...whatever. I'm trying it and so far guess it's ok but nothing at all like Modern Art the game. suckkkkkkkk
What a huge pity. I too have the original board game and would have loved the chance to play Modern Art on my iPad.

Here's to hoping that some other developer releases the 'proper' game at some point and does it right...

Mac user since 1988
05-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Although I've never played the tabletop version, Modern Art was listed as the final piece of the "Auction Trilogy" from RK. So, RK blessed off on a game that is "similar" in concept but distinctly different in execution and gameplay from the original tabletop?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
05-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Very satisfying game

I realize that this isn't the original Modern Art game with auctions, but I have really enjoyed it so far. It runs smoothly and the graphics are top-rate. This is a quick, enjoyable card game that is a great change of pace from other traditional card games.

In my opinion, Skotos has made some of the best Euro-style games for the iphone. Gold! and Kingdoms are also a lot of fun to play. I hope that they continue to come out with these programs.

Last edited by jones2929; 05-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.
05-23-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure how this passed by me on its opening day. I just got it last night, as I have all of the Knizia games so far. It's deceptively tricky. So far, I've won one game out of three. I like it, it's quick like most of the Skotos ports, and has a clean, simple UI. I know some people are complaining that it's not a port of the board game, but rather the card game, but they state that on the app description, so hopefully it doesn't affect their rating.
EDIT: Also, it's a nice touch that the portrait on the "Lite Metal" painting is Knizia.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Game Impressions

The game is another bit of pure RK/Skotos goodness!

It is another case of simple gameplay mechanics but infinitely convoluted strategies and a bit of luck required to consistently dominate the opposition.

The game is composed of 4 rounds and in each round the players are playing cards from their hands representing one of the game's 5 artists (I thought they implied the game was using big named folk, but as far as I can tell they're all totally made up artists). Once one artist gets 6 votes, the round ends and all of the round's votes are tallied to determine the 3 most popular artists of the round who will have the value of their work increased by 3, 2, or 1 point respectively. Once the winners of the round are declared the players tally their points and can even sneak in an extra copy of any of the winning artists in that round they actually voted for. The points granted are simply the combined current value of cards played representing the round's top 3 artists (all cards you played this round that aren't among the round's top 3, even if big winners in previous rounds, are worth NOTHING).

Some of the cards you play during the round have some cool little extra effects (either optional or required) like giving you the option to add another of that same artist's cards or odd stuff like requiring all players to simultaneously play an additional face down card.

Cards not played at the end of the current round are kept as you move onto the next round with a few cards getting restocked (I'm not sure if this is some fixed amount regardless of how many were played in the last round or just enough to get your hand back up to a certain number of cards). This, for me at least, is where the game really gets deep since it means when plotting which cards to play at any point you'll need to be thinking of the future rounds as well. Say you have 5 Krypto cards here in the first round of play. Do you go hog wild using all of the Krypto cards you can in this round to ensure he makes the top position (5x3 = 15 points, not bad) OR do you opt for a more long range plan, while trying to get him in one of the top 3 positions, save as many of the cards as you can so that you can make a big push for him in the game's 4th round by which point he's sure to be worth a lot more than 3 (in my one game I saw artists worth as much as 8 or 9 by the end of the 4th round). On top of just the whole aspect of wondering when to cash in is the classic issue of not wanting to reveal your hand to early in the game. If I catch early on you seem to have a big love affair with the Krypto cards and look like you have a decent chance of winning the game, you can be damn sure I will do my best to ensure Krypto DOES NOT make the top 3 of any round (remember, no matter what combined value up to this point an artist's prints are worth, only the round's top 3 are counted so it is always fun to see one of your opponent's heavily commit themselves to an artist that doesn't even make it to the top 3 that round and therefore get nothing for their effort).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I own both the board and the card game version, where the latter is a crossbreed between the original Modern Art and another Knizia card game, Trendy. The card game is played much more often here, because it is a quick and lighter game appealing to people who normally do not play auction games.

I like the interface very much, it is self explaining and elegant. Unfortunately the AI is, considering Skotos' terrific work on their other Knizia apps, weaker than expected. I played three games on hard so far with different number of players and won every time. Still it's an easy recommendation- I'm happy to have a mobile version of one of my CG favorites and I'm confident that Skotos will eventually provide us with AI updates, as they have successfully done before.

Now playing: Unworded, Aurora Puzzle Adventure, Steamworld Heist, PinOut!, Sproggiwood, Colorcube, kubic, Mekorama, Open Bar!
Waiting for: Any Star Realms expansion, Nyheim, Onirim

Last edited by abstractgamefreak; 05-23-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Replaced KI with AI- stupid me ;)
05-23-2011, 09:55 AM
I'll buy it, but I wish they'd at least add pass-and-play to their games, and preferably online too. Perhaps they should stop putting out new games and instead complete the ones they already have out there.