★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Sideways Racing

05-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Sideways Racing

I'm not sure how many more top-down racers I need on my iPad, but here's another entry into the genre. Has anybody played this yet? Does it bring anything new to table?

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Looks promising. Video plus more info here:

http://bjango.com/ipad/sideways/

05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I picked it up. Looks very polished, stellar frame rate. Unfortunately I am completely unable to play it due to there not being an option for stationary camera. The track spins around your car as you drive, often resulting in very sharp jolts which made me feel dizzy in under five minutes. The option for an alternative camera mode (such as in Death Rally) is sorely needed; the game is simply a waste of space for me personally without it.
05-23-2011, 12:11 PM
video looks cool, but i can see what you mean about the camera. for $2 i might pick it up anyways and give it a shot.
05-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I've spent an hour or so with it.

It looks very good on the iPad 2, runs very smooth.

But the controls will take some getting used to. Basically two buttons for gas and brake. And either a swipe control to turn, or a left and right button.

Kinda drives like Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars.
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I'd love to play this game, but after 30 seconds of video, I'm queasy. There's no way I could play this. Please. please, please, institute an option for a fixed camera. This could be great, but the way it is now, it will be more like sideways barfing. I can see what you were trying to do with giving a sense of motion, but really, this is too much of a good thing.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
05-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Camera angle is crazy. Game can't be played like that. One look at the video and I knew I would not buy this!
05-23-2011, 03:53 PM
That video reminds me of First Person Tetris.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
05-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I wanted to love this game--definitely from a great dev--but I can't really recommend it. The racing mechanic is really off. Sideways Racing, the title, that is, hints that you'll go drifting around the track. That would be fun. Not so. Mild drifting kills your momentum and accelerating is painfully slow. No car upgrades are available. I seriously thought the tutorial was a joke-- the stock car handled so badly. I stuck with it thinking that a couple wins would earn me cash to upgrade the woefully bad car, but... nope! You're stuck with it. Trust me, don't waste your time here. This coming from someone who wanted to like it.

Are there any good top-down racers, aside from Reckless Racing? That really is a gold standard. Death Rally was fun, but short, and not really about the driving. Any others?

Last edited by MrJR; 05-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJR View Post
I wanted to love this game--definitely from a great dev--but I can't really recommend it. The racing mechanic is really off. Sideways Racing, the title, that is, hints that you'll go drifting around the track. That would be fun. Not so. Mild drifting kills your momentum and accelerating is painfully slow. No car upgrades are available. I seriously thought the tutorial was a joke-- the stock car handled so badly. I stuck with it thinking that a couple wins would earn me cash to upgrade the woefully bad car, but... nope! You're stuck with it. Trust me, don't waste your time here. This coming from someone who wanted to like it.

Are there any good top-down racers, aside from Reckless Racing? That really is a gold standard. Death Rally was fun, but short, and not really about the driving. Any others?
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=94841