★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Reaction when you see "Abstract strategy boardgame"

View Poll Results: When I see "Abstract strategy board game" in a description of a game, my reaction is.
Just the way I like it. 3 10.34%
I might be intrigued, go on... 12 41.38%
Probably boring. 7 24.14%
Yawning already. 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Reaction when you see "Abstract strategy boardgame"

(My secret evil motivation for asking:
I'm trying to decide whether to put that in a visible place in my app description text)

Last edited by baris; 05-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
It makes me think of "Go" or "Chess". Not very exciting.

05-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
sounds pretty amorphous. about as bad as devs who put "an unique and interesting experience" in their descriptions. It doesn't give me anything useful and it actually turns me off from the game.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
05-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
05-24-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm a Go player, so of course I'd be interested. But nothing really can ever come close to Go, so it's a double-edged blade. But yes, I'll be intrigued enough to click on "More..." when I see "abstract board game" in the first few lines of an iTunes description.
05-24-2011, 07:18 AM
I think you'd have to be interested in board games already for this phrase to really catch your eye, I'm not sure how popular they are on the App Store. Personally, I'd be more tempted by a description that started with "Undoubtedly badass board game!"

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I think you'd have to be interested in board games already for this phrase to really catch your eye, I'm not sure how popular they are on the App Store. Personally, I'd be more tempted by a description that started with "Undoubtedly badass board game!"
Yup. Time to fluff it up with "Warning: Amazingly Addicting Farting Zombies and Angry Pirates Utterly Addicted to an Addicting Abstract Strategy Boardgame. Impossible Boobs!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
05-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayna View Post
It makes me think of "Go" or "Chess". Not very exciting.
It is indeed like those games, so there's no escaping that

As expected not many people would be interested, but I now feel better that "abstract strategy game" would at least not push away even the minority of people who might be interested in a game like "go" or "chess".

Quote:
"Warning: Amazingly Addicting Farting Zombies and Angry Pirates Utterly Addicted to an Addicting Abstract Strategy Boardgame. Impossible Boobs!"
Do you mind if I use that? Now if you would just help figure out where to put the boobs in the attached image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tix.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	33561  
05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukester View Post
I think, "Eurogame." Which can be either good, bad, or indifferent.

The language in the example is pretty wishy-washy; it could mean just about anything. Something more specific certainly couldn't hurt.
I use "Eurogame" interchangeably with "abstract strategy boardgame", but the designer of this board game corrects me every time, saying Eurogames are usually not abstract.

Do you mean something more specific than "abstract strategy boardgame", like "a 2-player tile-based abstract strategy boardgame", or did I misunderstand that completely? There will be lengthier details about the rules, etc. in the description, but that only matters after someone is interested enough to read.
05-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baris View Post
Do you mind if I use that? Now if you would just help figure out where to put the boobs in the attached image
There is no reason you can't use the surface of the tiles for pictures!