Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 PM
marc-bjango marc-bjango is offline
Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 43
Default Sideways Racing, an iPad game by Bjango

It's been a long time coming*, but we're very proud to be able to say that Sideways Racing has been released. Sideways Racing is an action packed top view racer with nine tracks, up to 10 cars on track at once, 3 game modes (League, Knockout and Time Trial) and… well… lots of carnage.

Features
★ 9 full race tracks, plus training & credits tracks.
★ Up to 10 cars on track at once.
★ 3 game modes: League, Knockout and Time Trial.
★ Nitro, destructive pick-ups and lots of carnage.
★ Silky smooth 60fps graphics on iPad 1 and iPad 2.
★ Extra goodness and fully anti-aliased on iPad 2.
★ Game Center leaderboards and achievements.
★ Use left and right buttons or swiping to steer.
★ Left and right handed controls.

Hope you like it If you have any questions, feel free to ask!



Video:

Youtube link | Pop Up














*We started working on Sideways late 2009. Yep, it was initially an iPhone game, but we switched to iPad as soon as the iPad was announced.

**I think I'm allowed to post this thread. I'm one of the developers on the game.

Previous thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=95139

Last edited by marc-bjango; 06-12-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
rhenzhen rhenzhen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 277
Default

Your app looks really interesting. Do you have any plans to release a lite version to try? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Gabrien Gabrien is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,148
Default

From previous thread:

I picked it up. Looks very polished, stellar frame rate. Unfortunately I am completely unable to play it due to there not being an option for stationary camera. The track spins around your car as you drive, often resulting in very sharp jolts which made me feel dizzy in under five minutes. The option for an alternative camera mode (such as in Death Rally) is sorely needed; the game is simply a waste of space for me personally without it.


Are you planning on adding a fixed camera option?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 AM
marc-bjango marc-bjango is offline
Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Are you planning on adding a fixed camera option?
Yes. After reading the other thread and this one, we will certainly be adding a fixed camera option. At this point it looks like we'll be submitting an update within the next few days. It contains some tiny fixes and will have fixed camera option.

So expect it in version 1.01.

EDIT: I've just received an "almost done!" message from the main programmer on the project. That doesn't mean the feature and UI is in, but it's certainly on its way. We should have it done and tested in the next 4 or so hours.

EDIT 2:


Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenzhen View Post
Your app looks really interesting. Do you have any plans to release a lite version to try? Thanks!
Thanks. No immediate plans for a lite version, but it may happen (it's the kind of game that would be easy to build with less levels).

Last edited by marc-bjango; 05-24-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Gabrien Gabrien is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-bjango View Post
Yes. After reading the other thread and this one, we will certainly be adding a fixed camera option. At this point it looks like we'll be submitting an update within the next few days. It contains some tiny fixes and will have fixed camera option.

So expect it in version 1.01.

EDIT: I've just received an "almost done!" message from the main programmer on the project. That doesn't mean the feature and UI is in, but it's certainly on its way. We should have it done and tested in the next 4 or so hours.

EDIT 2:

That's great to hear, looking forward to the update.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2011, 04:41 AM
scarypharaoh scarypharaoh is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: With Carmen Sandiego
Posts: 866
Default

Im very definately dating myself here, but I'm always on the lookout for one of these top-down racers to emulate a bit of the aesthetic of the old Gremlin classic Supercars 2. Not so much the racing which was pretty similar (notwithstanding the weapons that were available to upgrade). But the overall almost RPG conversation-type cutscenes that were inbetween racers in the career mode, not only were they humerous, but if you played your cards right by picking the right responses in conversations, you were able to elicit better sponsorship which gave you more money for upgrades. Almost felt like an adventure game along with a racer.
Probably too much to ask for implementation here, but possibly something to consider for the sequel?

Sorry for getting off topic, just seems like there are quite a few of these games on the appstore at the moment, but none are scratching that extra itch.

With regard to the game itself, I think it will be really very good once the fixed camera is implemented. I love the look of the tracks and the 60FPS on ipad2 looks stunning.

Last edited by scarypharaoh; 05-24-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 AM
marc-bjango marc-bjango is offline
Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarypharaoh View Post
Im very definately dating myself here, but I'm always on the lookout for one of these top-down racers to emulate a bit of the aesthetic of the old Gremlin classic Supercars 2.
I *loved* Super Cars 2. I really enjoyed the racing aspect, but thought the rockets and mines made it too much of a shooter, than a driving game. We've definitely kept that in mind with Sideways, and you'll notice the weapons need to be "driven"... they can be fairly destructive, but you'll have to drive well to use them

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarypharaoh View Post
But the overall almost RPG conversation-type cutscenes that were inbetween racers in the career mode, not only were they humerous, but if you played your cards right by picking the right responses in conversations, you were able to elicit better sponsorship which gave you more money for upgrades. Almost felt like an adventure game along with a racer.
I'd completely forgotten about that aspect of Super Cars! That was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarypharaoh View Post
Sorry for getting off topic, just seems like there are quite a few of these games on the appstore at the moment, but none are scratching that extra itch.
This one was definitely created with the Amiga, ST and other 16bit computers in mind. I'm not sure it'll scratch your exact itch, but I definitely have fond memories of games of that era (Turrican 2, Populous, Xenon 2!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarypharaoh View Post
With regard to the game itself, I think it will be really very good once the fixed camera is implemented.
We're almost done. All going well, we'll be submitting in less than 12 hours.

Here's the full list of new stuff in version 1.01: http://bjango.com/ipad/sideways/versionhistory/

Last edited by marc-bjango; 05-24-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Cowboyman381 Cowboyman381 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern US
Posts: 298
Default

Great game, I am really enjoying it !

One thing I would like though would be the option to swap the gas/brake and steering button....It would feel more natural to me for the wheel to be on the left side and gas/brake on the right.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 PM
marc-bjango marc-bjango is offline
Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyman381 View Post
Great game, I am really enjoying it !
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyman381 View Post
One thing I would like though would be the option to swap the gas/brake and steering button....It would feel more natural to me for the wheel to be on the left side and gas/brake on the right.
This is possible now. If you go into the options and change Steering Position to Left, then the steering buttons or swipe will be on the left side of the screen and the accelerator will be on the right.

Interestingly, during testing most people who predominately play iPad games liked steering on the right, but it seems that people who predominately play console or PC games with a hardware controller, preferred steering being on the left, because that's usually where the analogue thumb stick is.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 AM
marc-bjango marc-bjango is offline
Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-bjango View Post
Here's the full list of new stuff in version 1.01: http://bjango.com/ipad/sideways/versionhistory/
Sideways Racing 1.0.1 has been submitted to Apple. Would love to know what people think of the camera not rotating.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent