★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Any luck with publishers ?

05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Any luck with publishers ?

As the new kid on the block xD i am, I'm wondering if any indie dev have tried to approach any big publishers? If so, what has been your experience with them? Any successful stories around? any info related to this topic would be very enlightening!!!

Thnx in Advance ^_^

Last edited by Aruki; 05-26-2011 at 11:01 AM.
05-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Have you tried reaching out to say, Chillingo with your game?

05-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStrapped View Post
Have you tried reaching out to say, Chillingo with your game?
Right now our game is far from finished, but when it approaches let's say 80% it could be worthwhile to present it to different publishers, not only chillingo...
Showing it right now would be counterproductive.
05-27-2011, 05:53 AM
wellgoing with a publisher once is always interesting to see how things work with dealing with them etc.

but in general you could say if you product is good enough to be recognized by a major publisher.. your chances are mote than good to make decent sales yourself..

publisher like chilingo invest ZERO! money into pr for your product.. non, njinte, nada.. all you rely on is their name when it gets released to catch the attention of news outlets etc.. and for that you pay your shares to them..

i can't see a real reason to partner up with them at all, especialy if you check their recent portfolio where at least 50% is crap.. they went downhill very fast after loosing rovio and being bought by EA..

so if you want to get a bit more exposure, and want to be force to implement their horrible crystal crap into your game, chillingo is the way to go..

to be honest.. i rather try to go with the smaller joint, who actualy care about your product.. like cresent moon.. in every product they published they invested alot of additional manpower to make it an even better game.. thats dedication.. not the generic , put my label on anything, behaviour the big ones are..
05-27-2011, 06:47 AM
I would probably had said something different few days ago... but I just released a great little fun game on IOS... I can't tell you how hard it had become to be noticed by anyone.

If your game is good enough to be considered by a publisher, may be you should use one. The AppStore is EXTREMELY crowded. (and it is getting worst at a faster speed).

JC
05-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Well tough descision to compete againts the onslaught of cut the rope like physics puzzle games that where just released the last couple days/week which have tenfold more polish to it..not to mention all thoose who dont..

Would have pushed the release date a couple weeks back at least till thoose games are "old" news.. maybe polish a bit here and there and start with te next thing in your shedule

And if you think being with chillingo would have made a difference i think you would be dissapointed. Check the stats of the games they have released in the last couple weeks.. Its quite an eye opener in alot of cases.
05-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
to be honest.. i rather try to go with the smaller joint, who actualy care about your product.. like cresent moon.. in every product they published they invested alot of additional manpower to make it an even better game.. thats dedication.. not the generic , put my label on anything, behaviour the big ones are..
That's very interesting! Didn't knew about crescent moon games. Really cool to get to know new publishers. Thx Mr ugly. Btw, if you know more publishers like this one i would love to hear about them.
05-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
I would probably had said something different few days ago... but I just released a great little fun game on IOS... I can't tell you how hard it had become to be noticed by anyone.

If your game is good enough to be considered by a publisher, may be you should use one. The AppStore is EXTREMELY crowded. (and it is getting worst at a faster speed).

JC
Ovogame, I believe the issue for you is your price point. With most premium games like Angry Birds, Cut the rope etc at 99 cents, $2.99 for a game will make many people pass you by. Plants vs. Zombies does well at that price, however they had a huge following before it even came to IOS.
05-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30BelowStudios View Post
$2.99 for a game will make many people pass you by.
That's for the HD version, the SD is at $1.99. You are probably right that I should have gone for $0.99 but if it is the only price point viable for ios, then may be I should run away from ios dev then.

JC
05-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
Would have pushed the release date a couple weeks back at least till thoose games are "old" news.. maybe polish a bit here and there and start with te next thing in your shedule.
Well, we'll never know... I'm not sure a bit of polish would have change drastically the exposure. I guess my main mistake are:
- releasing 2 apps for the same game
- asking for an insane amount of money

JC